PDA

View Full Version : modding options - turbo

whin25
Wednesday 5th July 2006, 19:45
I haven't even bought my 850 t5 yet but i'm already planning some mods.

i'm going to start off with upgrading the brakes and suspension(springs)
i'm then going to get a nice induction kit/air filter and possibly a cold air intake setup.
a decent full system exhaust (stainless steel)

and then the ecu. but before i got a remap i was thinking about my options with the turbo. i've heard changing it to a t18 or t19 has significant performance gains but i'm not sure about the price. i was thinking of just getting the original turbo re-conditioned once it starts to misbehave, is this sensible or is it better just to replace it with a new one?

After the remap i will be leaving it as it is, except the alloys.

The only thing confusing me is the situation with the turbo... anyone got any experience with the t19 and is it a wise move?

Mrsmopp
Wednesday 5th July 2006, 20:02
Have a looky here as Lance has just recently had the 19T upgrade done on his http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10631

x

lance
Wednesday 5th July 2006, 20:51
I can still wholeheartedly recomend it turns a quick car into a very quick car , my mind is still blown by it and Ive done 2000 miles now and fuel economy if anything is better!

In terms of price it depends how well your is runing in the first place.
Ring Volvotunning for details.
I had a full service and a few other bits to get her 2 her best so cant remember the exact price.
On the rollers she was producing 1.15 bar and 280 whp which is aprox 320-330 BHP however Im sure the boost on the road peaks at 1.3+ bar at around 5000RPM and I wouldnt be suprised if it was more like 340 bhp+
Go for it ,you wont regret it!

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 6th July 2006, 01:42
IMHO the younger the car the better the chances of getting good results. It is naiive to assume that all cars from the same model and make - will produce the same results.

Stage 2 remap on a 19T turbo is a very good match. My previous C70 produced 291Whp and was very fast indeed (until I binned it into a field - oops). To make the most of the upgrade you should buy the ferrita race cat - though hybrid alternatives can be made to work with the existing downpipe.
It does boil down to money and your performance goal.

Do you have a power fig or pound amount in mind?

In the long term IMHO - you'll get a better result from an ME7 engine (with all the expense risks that carries HINT: do a search) particularly with the new developments that are coming from VT

whin25
Thursday 6th July 2006, 14:49
i'm looking to get to stage2 basically around 340bhp. i don't know how much that will cost in total because i'm upgrading the brakes, suspension, clutch and getting the samco tubing.

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 6th July 2006, 15:11
is your clutch bad then?

whin25
Thursday 6th July 2006, 17:34
not that i'm aware but i want to upgrade it since the power will be increased almost 50% i was thinking of getting a better clutch.

Wobbly Dave
Friday 7th July 2006, 00:32
Clutch can take 400 no worries.

T5SLAVE
Friday 7th July 2006, 00:40
Clutch can take 400 no worries.

Dave I appreciate u know an AWFUL lot more than me about Volvo's...end of...but 400 ragin' horses thru a standard clutch, really? That's one helluva serious power/torque hike 4 the OLD std runnin gear 2 cope with, surely?

Wobbly Dave
Friday 7th July 2006, 00:45
I seem to remember reading it somewhere. I ran 350 in the black one with no worries, on the standard clutch and it didnt slip.

Pork Pie gimp - managed to spin my current clutch up on 242 at the wheels and thin it down somewhat. Still works! (just)

T5SLAVE
Friday 7th July 2006, 00:55
Cool, these Volvo's r a little better built than the Ford's I know n love LOL! Still 400 on a std clutch seems a bit spesh, eh?!

I'm always keepin a close eye on these type o threads cos when my attention turns 2 releasin more ponies from my car I wanna make sure I have covered as many bases n options available b4 takin the plunge! It will involve a full bottom up rebuild using whatever necessary 2 get good, solid, reliable HP. Believe it or not I don't have a figure in mind (although 350 would b nice) cos 4 all I know my tired T5 with 148K might only b pushin 190BHP as it stands now. With that in mind, a full blueprint rebuild 2 std original spec would no doubt impress me compared 2 the way it goes right now...ppl seem 2 dismiss the power loss an old engine carries?!

Wobbly Dave
Friday 7th July 2006, 01:02
Might be time to think about trading up for somethin with a few more years in it? i.e. starting from a position of strength? Things do wear out and then you need to balance the desire to keep the car vs the money you could put into a new/younger model?

I am not saying you should selll your white one but with care and attention you should be able to find something with more to give from the start?

T5SLAVE
Friday 7th July 2006, 01:15
Might be time to think about trading up for somethin with a few more years in it? i.e. starting from a position of strength? Things do wear out and then you need to balance the desire to keep the car vs the money you could put into a new/younger model?

I am not saying you should selll your white one but with care and attention you should be able to find something with more to give from the start?

Your not at all wrong m8.

Speakin with m8y boy at Powercraft just 2day tryin 2 decide what I should do, am I chasing a rainbow?

I really do love my 850 tho n I want it 2 prove a point, I think?! Still think it's got masses o potential, I love a challenge and wanna see just what this lil' beastie is capable of, within reason...I realise I aint gonna go chasin Skylines for example! I could just go n buy another cossie but that's (dare I say it) predictable with my record! I bought this T5 by accident with somethin very different in mind n it's now got me very, very interested in tryin 2 make it somethin a bit special..........

Wobbly Dave
Friday 7th July 2006, 01:25
I admire the idea. I really do. Vollys are that bit different and worth the effort. Maybe they are the ultimate car coz of the combination of safety, speed and realiability. Something I feel (though never experienced) the japs and the cossie lack? Cheap to tune too - within reason.

Look I kept on pluggin money into the 855R which sadly never quite came up to expectations (with hindsight). I spent well over 3 or 4 grand on her and loved every minute. But the final 250bhp at the wheels on a car showing her miles was difficult to bear. So I sold her at a good price and moved onto the next (which I then binned into a field - but thats the other story)

I am not casting aspersions on your current project. Take time and take stock of where you are and where you wanna go and how much it is likely to cost. Then you can maybe get balanced idea of what maybe right for you going forward. BTW love the ATE's!

IMHO S60 T5 is a really monstrous car.

T5SLAVE
Friday 7th July 2006, 01:31
Cheers Dave, I really appreciate ur advice n oppinions on it all...me gotta think about this 1 a little harder.

N yes ur deffo right the S60 T5 is a STONKA, remember some serious moments when out n about wi' certain members of my former occupation, why didn't I buy 1 o them:troutslap

**********Soz 4 (semi) Hijackin the thread folks**********

Mrsmopp
Friday 7th July 2006, 23:14
Your not at all wrong m8.

Speakin with m8y boy at Powercraft just 2day tryin 2 decide what I should do, am I chasing a rainbow?

I really do love my 850 tho n I want it 2 prove a point, I think?! Still think it's got masses o potential, I love a challenge and wanna see just what this lil' beastie is capable of, within reason...I realise I aint gonna go chasin Skylines for example! I could just go n buy another cossie but that's (dare I say it) predictable with my record! I bought this T5 by accident with somethin very different in mind n it's now got me very, very interested in tryin 2 make it somethin a bit special..........

Put it this way, which "newer" volvo can get anywhere near the likes of Spesh's 850?????

If the 850 is your love (and belive me I know where you are coming from on that) then tune it, make it bigger and better than everything that has gone before it and wipe the floor with Wobbly Daves "better" ME7 Volvo so i can stop rolling my eyes everytime he tells someone to trade up to something newer/better LMSO

x

volvotuning
Friday 7th July 2006, 23:17
Put it this way, which "newer" volvo can get anywhere near the likes of Spesh's 850?????

S60R with a GT30. :) lol

Adam.

BlackBeast
Friday 7th July 2006, 23:24
Or an 850 T5 with a hybrid 2.5ltr lump and GT35 :)

Wobbly Dave
Saturday 8th July 2006, 00:10
If the 850 is your love (and belive me I know where you are coming from on that) then tune it, make it bigger and better than everything that has gone before it and wipe the floor with Wobbly Daves "better" ME7 Volvo so i can stop rolling my eyes everytime he tells someone to trade up to something newer/better LMSO

I only mentioned the S60 off the back of my experience at the freedom test drive. I was actually thinking about something with a few more years on it side. Which could mean a low mileage 850? - bit newer on the engine side, put in a bit more upfront and all that. Ultimately you can achieve anything with bottomless pockets. I was just trying to point out the balance between the all out lets spend option vs the ongoing running costs which do increase on older machines - ME7 included.

T5SLAVE
Saturday 8th July 2006, 20:47

x

Yeah that's exactly what I was thinkin:) ...I really appreciate everyones different views and oppinions, that's the great thing about such a place as the VPCUK...especially when u consider I know very little about these Swedish speed machines!

All I can say is, the jury is still out despite the money I have spent so far and plan on spendin in the not too distant but keep watchin this space folks! There is absolutely no doubt I'll b askin 4 more advice/views n oppinions in the future:B_steerin

Thanx again guys, can't wait 4 Trax...

BlackBeast
Sunday 9th July 2006, 10:15
Mark, just go for it mate, you know you want to! Keep the 850 and go all out on it!