PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Volvos Speakers

Paul
Wednesday 5th July 2006, 16:50
has anyone changed there c70's standard speakers to aftermarket ones? if so can you recommend any? and anyone know the exact sizes of all speakers?

mulletboy2
Wednesday 5th July 2006, 17:14
The standard C70 speakers are very good indeed. I used to run almost identical ones when I had the choice of pretty much any speaker I wanted.. have since changed to a different manufacturer due to being friends with the owner, but I didn't miss the opportunity to bag Wobbly's when he sold them.

You may get a "different" sound, but other than subjective opinion on tonality/colouration, you'll be hard pushed to find something that sounds better for sensible money.

Why exactly are you looking to relace them? What's the problem? Not loud enough/bassy enough/? You could look at a better headunit or upgrade the amp(s) and that would provide a real performance gain.

HTH

Mark

Paul
Wednesday 5th July 2006, 17:32
yea i know the great speakers.

just in alot of bass they seem to fizz out when loud .

Just got a new headunit http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/product_detail.jsp?product_id=12624&taxonomy_id=25-121

about the amps what would you suggest.

Paul

mulletboy2
Wednesday 5th July 2006, 17:42
The speakers "fizzing out" when loud will be down to the amp powering them.. those 8's will go well beyond the performance they provide from the stock amp.. they just need powering correctly :)

Let me know a budget for the amp and I'll see what I can dig out.

Cheers

Mark

Paul
Wednesday 5th July 2006, 17:43
no budget need quality although something half way would be great :)

Thanks again much appreciated

mulletboy2
Wednesday 5th July 2006, 18:01
Ok mate, I'm on the case :)

I think you'll be best off looking for a 2-ohm per channel stable 4 channel amp. I reckon you ideally want 200WRMS(+) per channel for the Dynaudios, and 2-channel amps that put out that kind of power are few and far between, but 4*100WRMS amps are a lot more common (and should bridge to around 200WRMS * 2). Just something to bare in mind if you go hunting too, although I'll see what I can find at sensible money :)

DLS and Genesis both do good 2-channel amps that do around 150WRMS * 2, so they might be worth a look - Genesis Series 3 Dual Mono and DLS A2 are the models. The Genny retails at around £500 and I think the DLS is just over half that. Both come up second hand on ebay/talkaudio for about half of their respective new prices.

Paul
Wednesday 5th July 2006, 18:35
great thanks man on my way good now so only my mobile to browse :-(

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 6th July 2006, 01:48
Just as well we have our own resident ICE expert and T5 owner, eh? LOL

Dynaudio are very good IMHO. C70 already has a seperate amp built into the boot wall/lining...

mulletboy2
Thursday 6th July 2006, 08:03
Dave - out of interest, do you have RMS figures for the amp mate?

NugentS
Thursday 6th July 2006, 08:13
I retrofitted my S70 with the dynaudio speaker upgrade from Volvo and use the following amps to power em: (all figures quited are RMS)

Front components: 4 * 50W bridged to 2 * 100
Rear: 4 * 75

I took the bass off the fronts and installed a sub just to fill in running it from the 2nd amps monobloc (bloody thing is like an ironing board in the back)

I have the amps turned down quite low and the H/U set to about 60-70% (ish) and the whole thing seems to work quite well.

Sean

adriancole
Thursday 6th July 2006, 08:16
I retrofitted my S70 with the dynaudio speaker upgrade from Volvo and use the following amps to power em: (all figures quited are RMS)
Sean

Hiow much was the Dynaudio upgrade out of interest? I am thinking of doing the same...is it worthwhile ordering from AMerica as i seem to remember reading they are cheaper there......

thanks

adrian

NugentS
Thursday 6th July 2006, 08:28
I don't know how good the info I have is but...

The 4x50 watt amp (at a rated 10% THD) is Volvo's AMP

Sean

I reccomend the following link: http://www.jimrothe.com/volvo/index.html

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 6th July 2006, 15:55
I love the sound qualiy in the C70 system

mulletboy2
Thursday 6th July 2006, 15:59
I don't know how good the info I have is but...

The 4x50 watt amp (at a rated 10% THD) is Volvo's AMP

Sean

I reccomend the following link: http://www.jimrothe.com/volvo/index.html
Cheers Sean, that confirms what my ears told me... the speakers, although somewhat (over)bassy in the stock setup, are being clipped to hell and back by the grossly underpowered amp.

I'm sure I heard something about a hidden menu with EQing abilities on one of the volvo headunits? Boosting a frequency (as Dynaudio well know) makes the system much more likely to clip-clip-boom... if you could defeat this boost, you may well be able to extract a lot more performance out of the amp.. and possibly add a seperate sub and amp to fill in on bass duties.. Although I'd still recommend a bigger amp for the Dynes... as the guy in the article says, 4*50W doesn't really equal 4*50W when they're rating at 10% THD. In reality, it's barely more powerful than most headunits, and I can think of several headunits with more powerful internal amps.

Cheers

Mark

Paul
Thursday 6th July 2006, 17:35
so what you think about the new headunit i got on first paid yet to recieve and fit it

mulletboy2
Thursday 6th July 2006, 21:07
Headunit looks good mate :) You can't believe all of the specs - there's no way it puts out 4*50W, but if you're going to run another amp anyway, that doesn't matter.

I haven't actually had a play with one yet, but I do like Pioneer :)

Paul
Thursday 6th July 2006, 21:16
ah k ill report back with with standard amp and headunit then tell you if im in need of a upgrade :)