PDA

View Full Version : few questions about 850 T5 Estate

whin25
Monday 3rd July 2006, 14:50
I've decided to get a nice dark green volvo 850 estate (T5). It's got 125,000 miles on the clock and is in good condition and it's costing £1995.
I'm aware that volvos are pretty solid and i'm sure i won't be spending lots of money on constant repairs but i've also been told that parts will need to be renewed eventually around the 140,000 mile mark, is this true?

If so, what sort of replacements are we talking about? Suspension, brakes, turbo?

I will be modding the car anyway and will probably upgrade the brakes and suspension a.s.a.p.

Hoping to eventually get an aftermarket air filter and induction kit and then have the ecu re-mapped.

I'm not looking for too much power, something close to 300bhp which i've been told won't cost too much to achieve.

Basically i'm just wondering what inevitible problems lie ahead and how soon i should prepare for replacement parts etc.?

Thanks

JUDGENINJA
Tuesday 4th July 2006, 18:38
Volvo's are reliable, but it doesn't matter what car you buy..it will break eventually....

But there are plenty of Volvos that run 300bhp with no issues to reliability. Get on a enjoy your car and modify it as you would like it. People are always around if you need some help..... but get posting......

Mrsmopp
Tuesday 4th July 2006, 20:11
Welcome to the forum.

First things first there is no average age for the parts to wear out, I know of T5's that have had worn turbo's under 100k and yet other T5's with perfectly healthy turbo's @ 160k plus.

x

spencem875
Thursday 6th July 2006, 20:49
My turbo went @ 169k, although we not sure if its original :troutslap

fraz13
Thursday 6th July 2006, 20:57
My old T5 was written off at 173k and it was still going strong up till that point....

If the cars been well looked after there shouldnt be any major issues but there is always the exception

Cars with a higher milage are usually better with a 280bhp map as it doesnt cause as much stress to its parts....

whin25
Thursday 6th July 2006, 21:47
My old T5 was written off at 173k and it was still going strong up till that point....

If the cars been well looked after there shouldnt be any major issues but there is always the exception

Cars with a higher milage are usually better with a 280bhp map as it doesnt cause as much stress to its parts....

Written off at 173k? What happened to it? I was under the impression that they where good for over 200k?

scott t5
Thursday 6th July 2006, 22:22
that normally means smahed in 2 next week.. for volvo heven:uglyhamme

Vikingxl
Thursday 6th July 2006, 22:25
Volvos will always cost money to run but you have to weigh that against the enjoyment factor

fraz13
Friday 7th July 2006, 08:40
Written off at 173k? What happened to it? I was under the impression that they where good for over 200k?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v458/fraz13/HPIM1425a.jpg

A nice old man T-boned me......

If you have a look at this thread it'll give you an idea of people on heres cars milage ;)

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=228

zanelli15
Tuesday 11th July 2006, 12:16
My 855T5 has covered a massive 228000 miles and still going strong, I have had for about a year know and cover about on average 500-1000miles a week in it, mainly high speed driving. It so far apart from service items and oil changes hasen't cost me anything.

The only things i have spent on it are samco silicon hoses to all pipes under the bonnet.

I currently run 8-9Psi pressue on this car. But will be having it remapped in next few months. (standard no MBC fitted)

Chanaging the subjet slightly has any one else seen tesco's super unleaded, 99 octane, don't normally use supermarket petrol, but hey what a differance.
exspensive thou 105.99 per litre. (oxford) i get through about a tank of fuel every 2 days.

thunderace
Tuesday 11th July 2006, 12:32
great mileage, yes tesco 99 is very good, (only 99p here and 94p with 5p off vouchers) :) theres a thread on here re different grades etc, but cant find it at the mo.

dreadly
Tuesday 11th July 2006, 13:46
My old P1 T5 has got 164k on the clock, up until last week was pretty much on original everything, brakes included.... :(

I can show you what happens to a disk when the caliper pistons are acting as brake pads!

Turbo is original with no smoke and it never gets serviced on time!

spencem875
Tuesday 11th July 2006, 18:13
94p From Sainsburys, 95 octane i think.

TheButler
Saturday 15th July 2006, 23:53
My uncle owns a 95' 850 T5 estate. It is a real workhorse and does at least 80 miles a day 5 days of the week. The last time i seen him the mileage was at 250,000 and that was a couple of months ago! As far as i know he has not had any problems no break-downs, smoking turbo etc etc . To be honest i wouldn't have expected him to have lifted a finger at the engine (bar oil changes and making sure all the fluids are topped up) I will try getting in touch with him and ask him a wee bit more about his T5 he doesn't really give it much thought or attention now (too many miles in it's company i think) but he will probably give me some interesting info.