PDA

View Full Version : Another ABS question....

M44K TS
Sunday 2nd July 2006, 00:44
My abs and traction light have been intermittent for some time now, infact the last few months, they have been permenantly on....

anyway, tonight, i was driving along my private stretch of road* without realising was doing almost 110, so decided it would be best to slow, so being annoyed at the light being on, i threw down the anchors to 60, car pulled up nice and straight, then looked down, and noticed the lights were off. Thinking this was a fluke, i pulled over, sitched off, restarted then drove for about a mile to a safe spot then did an emergency stop from 70, abs worked perfect.

Got home, (stil convinced the dreaded lights would stay on) pulled onto the driveway, switched off, then started it back up then went for about 200 yards, everything seemed fine.

Does anyone know if the sensors on the wheel can get blocked by stray brake dust and by braking very heavy can shift the dust and free the clean them?

Just seemed odd that when i first got the car, the dash light would flicker when the wheels were covered in brake dust, but after jet washing the wheels, all would be ok, could this be linked?

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 2nd July 2006, 01:00
It could be - it could be a whole manner of things - dodgy sensors or ABS Control ECU on the blink. Get the codes read and you can either replace the sensor on the affected wheel or get the controller fixed.

M44K TS
Sunday 2nd July 2006, 01:08
It'll be at the top of the list if they come back on i can tell you

Bigtony
Sunday 2nd July 2006, 20:50
I have known of problems with ABS due to dirt and stuff building up at the wheel senors - cant remember which car I had that we had to clear out the dirt and stuff from the geared section on the wheels.

Phuturephantasy
Sunday 2nd July 2006, 21:06
Wheel sensors playing up due to accumulated dirt etc is the most likely culprit I'd have thought. My Ford Scorpio (yes the Frightened Frog) used to do this every now and then and getting in there and cleaning all the crud off always sorted it.