PDA

View Full Version : Thermostat?

Mrsmopp
Tuesday 29th March 2005, 14:10
I know my thermostat needs replacing but what side effects could it be causing?

x

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 29th March 2005, 14:35
Would you like me to replace it on Sat? I can bring one with me - job will be done in 10 mins?

Mrsmopp
Tuesday 29th March 2005, 14:37
Ohhhhh Yes PLEASE!!!!! Spank you kindly young man! :lovestory :hug:

x

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 29th March 2005, 14:38
I will then young miss. I was always a succour for feminine whiles. :smileypul

Mrsmopp
Tuesday 29th March 2005, 14:39
Love you!!!! How many pennies do you wnat?

x

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 29th March 2005, 14:42
I think they are less than a tenner, but I will tell you on the day.

Bison
Tuesday 29th March 2005, 22:59
Don't suppose you fancy coming to do mine do you dave, needs replacing as well.?? you can check me motor out at the same time and give me some advice on stuff. Be nice to meet a fellow member im in glos.

Bison

TangoDeltaSierra3
Tuesday 29th March 2005, 23:13
Oh and Dave, i need a garage building when you got a spare week, thanks mate. :cop:

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 30th March 2005, 00:01
First of -

Craig :kiss: my boney Lancashire ass - LMAO!!!

Bison,

I would be happy to help. I'll even come and do the replacement for you. We ought to sort out a SW meet as you suggested anyway.

I am having a BBQ soon so we will work it all out in the fullness of time

Craig - just in case mate - build your own garage!! :pants: LOL!!

Tash,

You'll be glad to hear that you owe me the princely sum of £6 for your brand new 87 degree Tstat :banana:

Mrsmopp
Wednesday 30th March 2005, 08:45
You're a :littleang !!! :hug:

x

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 30th March 2005, 09:15
What can I say - I am a cheap date :bounce:

Mrsmopp
Wednesday 30th March 2005, 13:41
No one has answered my question tho... :slap:

x

Andrew
Wednesday 30th March 2005, 13:51
No one has answered my question tho... :slap:

x

Overheating. Your fan won't kick in etc.

Bracer
Wednesday 30th March 2005, 13:55
Hot water will be trapped in the engine.

Cold water will be trapped in the radiator.

The gauge will show cold while driving, and creap up to temp in traffic.

Biggest risk is to the Head Gasket and the Head itself, if the Gasket blows it can get very nasty and result in warping the head and then your really looking at a lot of work.

Steve

Mrsmopp
Wednesday 30th March 2005, 13:59
So no backing off the boost or not fully boosting, or sticky throttle or anything like that?

x

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 30th March 2005, 14:02
I wouldn't expect it to, though having said that performance would be affect if the block was overheating.

I would still change it anyway. Then you know where you are.

Bracer
Wednesday 30th March 2005, 14:03
So no backing off the boost or not fully boosting, or sticky throttle or anything like that?

x

Loss of boost will probable be down the the engine getting so hot and super charging the intake, causing the ECU to pull the timing and boost.

The sticky cable could also be due to the high under bonnet temps.

So yes it can all be down to the stat.

Steve

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 30th March 2005, 14:05
what he said :stupid:

(just kiddin, Steve)

Bracer
Wednesday 30th March 2005, 14:11
what he said :stupid:

(just kiddin, Steve)

:B_thumb:

nikgallagher
Wednesday 30th March 2005, 15:22
Engine will only overheat if the stat fails closed though. Mine failed open and so the water never got up to optimum temp. Probably bad things associated with that too (fuel economy etc) but has to be better than a superheated cylinder head!

Bracer
Wednesday 30th March 2005, 15:47
Engine will only overheat if the stat fails closed though. Mine failed open and so the water never got up to optimum temp. Probably bad things associated with that too (fuel economy etc) but has to be better than a superheated cylinder head!

Did you check the stat after you'd removed it ?

Only reason why I ask is cos all the ones I've known of have stuck shut.

The reason why the temp gauge stays cold is cos the sender is in the rad and when the stat is stuck shut the water in the rad stays cold.

Steve

mraldonnelly
Wednesday 30th March 2005, 15:55
Mine failed in the open position too. Wasn't fully open but open enough to keep the engine cold when on the motorway.

Regards

Andy

nikgallagher
Wednesday 30th March 2005, 16:06
The spring had snapped but some wax had also leaked so it was all twisted bent. Probably not the most common way to go thinking about it. You'd think they'd design them to fail open though - purely to protect the engine.

BTW - With a 'failed shut' stat, how would the temp rise in traffic? Through direct radiation of engine heat to the radiator?

Bracer
Wednesday 30th March 2005, 16:09
The spring had snapped but some wax had also leaked so it was all twisted bent. Probably not the most common way to go thinking about it. You'd think they'd design them to fail open though - purely to protect the engine.

BTW - With a 'failed shut' stat, how would the temp rise in traffic? Through direct radiation of engine heat to the radiator?

Static traffic that is. and yeah thermo convection will transfer some heat over to the rad water.

volvotuning
Wednesday 30th March 2005, 18:06
If the stat fails open and your engine runs BELOW normal temp, performance WILL be down. Why? Because the ECU will be over-fueling as it thinks it's still cold.

Adam.

Mrsmopp
Thursday 31st March 2005, 08:39
If the stat fails open and your engine runs BELOW normal temp, performance WILL be down. Why? Because the ECU will be over-fueling as it thinks it's still cold.

Adam.

Simply stated and just what I wanted to hear - I'm only making a bar at the mo :tombstone

x

LeeT5
Sunday 24th April 2005, 21:32
I know my thermostat needs replacing but what side effects could it be causing?

x
In answer to your Q. The engine will overheat and be sick all over the floor if it is jammed shut!!!

However if it is jammed open, then it will take alot longer to warm up but generally things should remain normal as long as the temp switch is working ok and the fan cuts in once temperature is reached!

AS they are sooooooooo cheap its best to be on the safe side and get it replaced asap.

BTW who drives a yellow R in the Maidstone/ Medway area (Bloke, with orange shades and a bluetooth headset in his ears???)?
THX :) :) :)