PDA

View Full Version : Expansion Tank Cap - Grey / Green ?

Phuturephantasy
Friday 30th June 2006, 13:28
I noticed my coolant level warning light on this morning and on checking the level noticed that the expansion tank cap had split almost in two.

I have just picked one up from a local breakers but this one is grey in colour and seems to have a slightly different internal layout as to the original I took off which was green.

Is it safe to use this one or should I race down to my dearest Volvo dealer and get a proper one in green - It does look much nicer in green anyway..

Straker
Friday 30th June 2006, 15:31
My 850 has a grey cap. The only reason they would be different is perphas the reliefe pressure will be different but I can't imagine there is any significatn differance. Personally I wouldn't worry about it.

T5ER
Friday 30th June 2006, 16:12
there was a recall a few years ago about this problem and they changed fromm green to grey or vice versa cant remember now but there was deffo a recall for it

Engineer
Friday 30th June 2006, 16:34
I noticed my coolant level warning light on this morning and on checking the level noticed that the expansion tank cap had split almost in two.

I have just picked one up from a local breakers but this one is grey in colour and seems to have a slightly different internal layout as to the original I took off which was green.

Is it safe to use this one or should I race down to my dearest Volvo dealer and get a proper one in green - It does look much nicer in green anyway..

Check the KPA figure stamped on the cap, the green is 150 KPA (1.5 bar) as fitted to my R, grey if memory serves me right is a lower figure. For what they cost buy the correct new one for your model. :)

Redbrick
Friday 30th June 2006, 17:09
The new ones are green- the old grey ones split. Mine happened on a Bank Holiday Friday evening...

T5ER
Friday 30th June 2006, 17:12
The new ones are green- the old grey ones split. Mine happened on a Bank Holiday Friday evening...
Ta redbrick you are right the grey ones kept splitting so they did a recall and fitted the newer type green ones to them as also fitted on the 70 series models

Phuturephantasy
Friday 30th June 2006, 18:40
Right well that's it then - I will order a nice new Green one as per the one that came off.

The Grey one just doesn't look as nice in the engine bay anyway...

Rufe
Friday 30th June 2006, 18:43
most dealers would have the green ones on their shelf, we used to go through loads of them, with everyone changing over from grey to green a few years back.

JUDGENINJA
Saturday 1st July 2006, 14:18
Yep Green... i lost mine.... OK I forgot to put it on after check the fluid levels.. it is now a day glow green....

Dacvolvo
Saturday 1st July 2006, 16:02
I've always had a green one on mine, until I was in a scrappy last year and saw a lovely 850 with a very shiney engine bay and a nice grey cap. I took it and replaced my horrible green coloured version (purely for cosmetic reasons).

About 2 hours later, whilst parked at Brewsters in Glasgow, one of my mates walks in the door and say there was a puddle under my car. Sure enough, after only a short blast along the motorway, the grey cap had split!

Thankfully the green cap was still in my boot.

:rotfl:

Straker
Sunday 2nd July 2006, 10:21
I clearly stand corrected, better get myself a green one......:troutslap

Good info guys

M44K TS
Sunday 2nd July 2006, 12:28
so some cooling issues i had a while back, like a bit of pressure in the top hose, could that be linked to the grey caps?