PDA

View Full Version : Need a T5 Auto Geabox

wright_t5
Wednesday 28th June 2006, 21:41
Hi, out there...

Is there any difference betwen the Auto box in a T5 and a T5R??

What gearboxes fit the T5??

I have had a re-build twice now in the same box, now the high gears change sweet and smooth, first to second is snatchy as hell!!!!

Have taken it back the gearbox people (And Volvo, apparently) say that these boxes are not designed for chipped motors!!!!!

Cheers

Pliskin
Wednesday 28th June 2006, 23:41
Hi mate,

Can't comment on the technical side, but I have been running the Upsolute 280bhp conversion on my 96 854 for the last 18 months and although it has had the aditional ATF conversion fitted by his Wooblyness, it has, touch wood, been great.

In fact I would go as far as to say that following the conversion, the gearbox changes, particularly under hard acceleration, have been a lot smoother.

Regards to all

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 29th June 2006, 11:40
Rebuilt boxes can be troublesome and I dont care what anyone says. They're just never quite the same IMHO.

I believe that both T5 and T5-R both run the AW-50-42LE (aisin warner) boxes - you can tell by the lable ontop of the box near to the dissy cap area of the engine.

Garage is bound to say "they are not designed for the power" coz it covers their backside.

Did you bed the box in? You shouldnt have push it at all for the first 1000 miles? That is the advice I was given.

I'd Flush/Change the ATF again and think about fitting an additional cooler. The OEM ones have come down in price - particularly if you go through Marshalls.

I have just recently produced a how 2 if you should wish to do it in an aftermarket stylee. Total cost is around £170 for parts (not including ATF)

wright_t5
Monday 3rd July 2006, 09:51
Umm, gearbox, problem, no one that really knows, that's what I want someone that really knows about these things, coz when they re-built it the first time, it was silky smooth, absolutley wonderful best box I had driven.... this time, nah...

It's the way it shifts from 1st to 2nd, it holds onto the revs for too long, it's like it wants to let you take it to the redline before changing, then when it does change man it comes in with a bang, very violent, and very wrong, yet all the other changes are silky smooth, that's the wierd thing....

is there an ECU problem??? (Gearbox one) is there maybe a sensor that is playing up or gone, can anyone out there shed some light onto this problem, from experience, hear-say or whatever.....

The gearbox peeps have given up I reckon, they have lost interest, they are blaming everything but the box, and of course don't wanna take it apart and see if anything has gone wrong.... would be at thier cost of course...

So what do I do, buy another box.... and live with the cost, or do I carry on see if it gets better on its own....???

wright_t5
Monday 3rd July 2006, 10:38
oh, forgot to mention, point about "bedding in" nah, as the box was like it right from the start, once I collected it it wasn't the same, and this fault was evident as soon as... kinda why I suspected that there might be a problem in the box......

How easy are these gearboxes to change???

chriskay
Monday 3rd July 2006, 10:59
I've got a spare ECU if you want to try it. Pic attached.
Cheers, Chris.

wright_t5
Monday 3rd July 2006, 12:14
Hey, now that's why I like forums, help from a fellow.... cheers... I will get my son to look at the numbers tonight and if the same I will take your off up and try it, can't do any harm, apart from post... so yep, thanks...

What does it come out off??

chriskay
Monday 3rd July 2006, 12:33
Hi, I'm not sure what it came out of, but Volvo should be able to tell if it's compatible. If it is, it's probably worth a try, & I'll be in your area Friday afternoon/evening in a village called Littlebury Green (CB11 4XB) & 9am Saturday at the Highwayman, Eaton Socon.
Cheers, Chris.

wright_t5
Monday 3rd July 2006, 12:56
Sweet, I am gonna check the numbers, but sounds like you are going to drive by my house maybe, I live west of cambridge (Eaton Socon) side.. and littlebury green is down south, so you would have to almost drive by, sounds like a plan forming... I will be around during Friday too...

wright_t5
Monday 3rd July 2006, 13:19
Right I have the pictures of my ecu, all I need now is someone on the forum to look at them and tell me if I have a reason to try the one you have.....

Bigtony
Monday 3rd July 2006, 13:35
If by any chance you still need a box I have one for around £80 plus postage.

Cheers
Bigtony

chriskay
Monday 3rd July 2006, 13:58
Sweet, I am gonna check the numbers, but sounds like you are going to drive by my house maybe, I live west of cambridge (Eaton Socon) side.. and littlebury green is down south, so you would have to almost drive by, sounds like a plan forming... I will be around during Friday too...
Looks like mine is different. Don't know whether it's compatible. You can borrow it if you like. What's your car?

wright_t5
Monday 3rd July 2006, 13:59
mines a 1996 T5 850 GLT

and for the offer of a box, if it is a good one, then pm me and we can discuss..

chriskay
Monday 3rd July 2006, 15:21
Just been to my Volvo dealer. It looks like your engine is a 1997MY, from the part No. & the ECU I have is from a 1996 & not interchangeable. Talked to the service manager who reckons that the people who re-built the box have probably used a wrong valve spring in there somewhere, but says it's worth having the adaptive memory re-set (if it's got it). Anyway, surely it's down to the re-builder to get it right?
Cheers, Chris.

wright_t5
Monday 3rd July 2006, 15:29
oH, RIGHT, shame, adaptive memory, umm, how or what is that, wonder how that gets reset, they didn't give any clues did they??? I will have to have a look in the manual and see if it can be reset somehow, maybe there is a sequence of operations that need doing... I know the battery was disconnected so it can't be as simple as that....

umm, more investigation needed......... unless some catches this thread and joins in the conversation..........

The gearbox people said thet did take to Volvo and they just said that the boxes are not desgined for high power, personally I think they just are confused by what it does, and the gearbox people don't want to take the box out again.. although they would if I paid!!!! but I have lost faith in them now....... and I am not convinced they would actually do anything.....

so I might just buy another box and throw that in it.. I don't mind spending some money, I just want it right..... I miss the way it runs..... it deserves better.....

Thanks for trying anyways.....

Mrsmopp
Monday 3rd July 2006, 15:32
The gearbox people said thet did take to Volvo and they just said that the boxes are not desgined for high power, personally I think they just are confused by what it does, and the gearbox people don't want to take the box out again.. although they would if I paid!!!! but I have lost faith in them now....... and I am not convinced they would actually do anything.....

Alright hun!!?

Dont you dare accept that crock of ***** from your refurber's!!! The box is under warranty and there are no if's but or maybe's about it (I'm assuming it was less then 12 months ago cos it doesn't seem long since we read you had it done???)

x

wright_t5
Monday 3rd July 2006, 15:47
Hi yah, sweet pea....

Yeah I know it should be there, been there left it with them for a fortnight, after theysaid that there was "nothing" wrong with it, I then went over there and took em out in it and it was then they admitted that it didn't feel right!!!! whatever, durr, that's what I bin saying..... anyway they kept it, took it Volvo and they all agreed that it was the fact that it had been chipped... well, ( I just have to swear at this point - sorry) anywayh, it WAS fixed a year last January, that was the first blow up and that time it was perfect, fantastic, smooth like you've never felt, even under power... smooth.... man the change under load in three figures was like it never happened....

this time bad like you have never know, well 1st to 2nd, that's the sad thing, the others are ok...... they fixed it this time a week after good friday.... and we have been battling since then, they have had enough, say there is nothing more they can do, they did a cheap job for me this time coz it was soo close to the year after the last time, and have spent time (supposedly) this time.. but to no avail... I just think they have messed up, admitly if you drive it like an old woman it aint bad, but hey....... it's a T5..... come on...

As I have said, I just want someone (who knows to say, yep theres a problem) and has the ability to fix it..... and be confident that when it comes back it aint gonna be the same.... even if it means getting another box to re-firb........

But thanks for the help and support........... I mean I wanna spend more money on her, I git a pile of bits ready to go on as it is.........

adriancole
Monday 3rd July 2006, 15:56
http://www.hardyengineering.co.uk/

These dudes are in Leatherhead Surrey, on the M25......highly recomended for all auto boxes, dudes at Classic and Sportscar really rate them....very professional family run firm

Know its the other side of the M25 to you, though its always a thought.....

Adrian

wright_t5
Monday 3rd July 2006, 16:01
Umm, actually, they are just five minutes from where I work!!!! I might live in cambridge, but work in London.... for my sins.............