PDA

View Full Version : T5 and superchip or t5r / r ?

oddjones
Monday 26th June 2006, 15:48
Looking to replace my T5R (see spotted (http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/t11146-last-spotted-leaving-my-house-in-the-hands-of-some-scumbag-.html)).
I want something that's as fast, but I'm not really bothered about super-duper handling (most journeys on the motorway). My Insurance have coughed up £3300. I've spoken to a few of the T5R/R ads in the auto trader (seems to be a bit of a glut at the moment) and it seems that I can pick one up for that money, but would I be disappointed if I saved £1000 and bought a T5, then modded it with a chip? Would I be losing out? if so, where?

volvotuning
Monday 26th June 2006, 15:57
Looking to replace my T5R (see spotted (http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/t11146-last-spotted-leaving-my-house-in-the-hands-of-some-scumbag-.html)).
I want something that's as fast, but I'm not really bothered about super-duper handling (most journeys on the motorway). My Insurance have coughed up £3300. I've spoken to a few of the T5R/R ads in the auto trader (seems to be a bit of a glut at the moment) and it seems that I can pick one up for that money, but would I be disappointed if I saved £1000 and bought a T5, then modded it with a chip? Would I be losing out? if so, where?

IMHO you would be better off buying a T5 and saving £1000. Mechanically they are all the virtually same anyway.

See, when you buy an 850, chances are a lot of the stuff like suspension and brakes will be tired. So, whether it's a plain T5 or a T5R makes no odds as you will sooner or later have to replace these items. That's the time to fit uprated stuff, and therefore that's the time you save yourself money by getting the plain T5.

So, unless you specifically want an R or T5 R and can find one which has had all the old knackered bits replaced for new or uprated bits, just go for the T5.

Adam.

Wobbly Dave
Monday 26th June 2006, 16:04
The limited editions - 850 T5-R and 850R both (when new) had either 240 or 250 bhp at the flywheel. 850 T5 was 225 bhp.

Over age and time the figures will diminish.

Dunno what superchips quote but I wouldnt bother with that particular company because there are better alternatives.

Realistically for an 850 T5 with 100K on it - I'd expect to be seeing somewhere around 150 - 200 bhp stock. Add maybe 10 - 20 bhp for the limited editions.
Depending on age, condition and mileage - an investment of 300ish pounds will see the figures rise 60-80bhp. Remapping levels the field really - so what you are left with is the choice between the iconic T5 and the limited editions with extra toys/diff. wheels, suspension tweaks and other nice to haves.

My 855R auto (sold sometime ago) with 160K on her was pushing about 220bhp at the wheels with a RICA remap stage 1. She wasnt a great puller when compared against similar cars of her age. I have seen cars of that age push 250bhp at the wheels.

Avoid explod and you'll be fine. I know that Scott (aka the Flying Banana) is selling an 855 T5-R in yellow.

Depending on what you need practicality wise - you might also consider the saloon - eg. S70 (I know Moppy is selling her Black one (very well speced))

Limited editions are well within reach of the 3.3K budget, but vs a tuned T5 it will not have the same straight-line speed (all things being equal)

volvotuning
Monday 26th June 2006, 16:12
so what you are left with is the choice between the iconic T5 and the limited editions with extra toys/diff. wheels, suspension tweaks and other nice to haves.

Not really Wobbly - like I mentioned above, all this stuff will most likely need replacing anyway. So any advantage the T5R or R had over a T5 when it was new is all gone. So you're generally better off buying the plain (or higher spec) T5 at a cheaper price and using the money saved on replacing the worn items.

Adam.

Wobbly Dave
Monday 26th June 2006, 16:17
It is a fair point well made.

volvotuning
Monday 26th June 2006, 16:28
Put it this way...

I use to own an 850R modified with silly power, and later sold it. I still drive various 850 T5 and R models on a daily basis and if I had to buy an 850 again, I would buy the T5 and not the R.

Adam.

oddjones
Monday 26th June 2006, 17:00
I definitely need an estate - that's what attracted me to the Volvos in the first place, but I think it was the 850 t5R badge (and fancy alloys, spoilers etc) which got the car noticed by the scum who had it away, so I quite fancy the idea of going a bit more low key... I have to say I did enjoy the spec of the R - I'm not bothered by suede, but the leather was nice (and practical - I have 3 kids), I'd really miss the climate control and cruise control (long motorway journeys in summer!) - Can I get this kind of spec on a "regular" T5? - Is there an insurance benefit too? T5R was group 17 (Which will hurt without a no-claims bonus) what can I expect for a chipped/remapped T5?

so many questions...!

volvotuning
Monday 26th June 2006, 17:04
I definitely need an estate - that's what attracted me to the Volvos in the first place, but I think it was the 850 t5R badge (and fancy alloys, spoilers etc) which got the car noticed by the scum who had it away, so I quite fancy the idea of going a bit more low key... I have to say I did enjoy the spec of the R - I'm not bothered by suede, but the leather was nice (and practical - I have 3 kids), I'd really miss the climate control and cruise control (long motorway journeys in summer!) - Can I get this kind of spec on a "regular" T5? - Is there an insurance benefit too? T5R was group 17 (Which will hurt without a no-claims bonus) what can I expect for a chipped/remapped T5?

so many questions...!

Yes you can get T5 spec that is practically the same as the R, with leather, cruise, climate, leccy seats etc.

Tuned, you can expect anything from 280 bhp upwards depending on how good it is and how much you want to spend.

Adam.

oddjones
Monday 26th June 2006, 17:10
Well, If I can save a grand, then I can afford some good security (http://www.auto-txt.com/) and a remap with what I save I suppose... Are you saying £300 would get me 280bhp? (heh heh heh...)

volvotuning
Monday 26th June 2006, 17:13
Well, If I can save a grand, then I can afford some good security (http://www.auto-txt.com/) and a remap with what I save I suppose... Are you saying £300 would get me 280bhp? (heh heh heh...)

:) Yes it would. And if the turbo and engine was good enough, a bit more!

Adam.

pzorb
Tuesday 27th June 2006, 02:49
Put it this way...

I use to own an 850R modified with silly power, and later sold it. I still drive various 850 T5 and R models on a daily basis and if I had to buy an 850 again, I would buy the T5 and not the R.

Adam.

Even considering the Rs later engine?

abdul
Tuesday 27th June 2006, 07:35
i have a v70 t5 and a v70 r the only difference i can tell is probable the suspension iwould say go for the t5 and then spend the money saved on modifiying then in theory u will have a t5 which is better than a r because u have spent the money saved on upgrading u can get a t5 with the leather cruise etc etc as u get on a r:) :)

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 27th June 2006, 09:46
Even considering the Rs later engine?
No such thing - engines are identical - only the maps differ

fraz13
Tuesday 27th June 2006, 10:09
I think they meant the new R 2.5ltr 300bhp jobbie ;) Could be wrong tho.... I have been loads recently.

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 27th June 2006, 10:10
Didnt think we're talking about the phase 2 TBH?

pzorb
Tuesday 27th June 2006, 10:13
I was under the impression the 850R had the later V70P1 engine with the slightly stronger rods...? Might be having a blonde moment lol

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 27th June 2006, 10:16
Infernals are the same. They only got beefed up on the B5234T3 engine - i.e. with ME7 ETM system.

oddjones
Tuesday 27th June 2006, 14:36
Does anybody know of a nice, low mileage T5 CD estate (preferably without extra wings/blacked out windows etc) going for around £2000?

dreadly
Tuesday 27th June 2006, 15:14
Sorry to hijack a thread, but talking of the stronger engine internals, I have two T5's - I have a 2003 S60 T5 and a 1999 V70 T5 - Would they have identical engines or would the S60 have slightly uprated internals (rods)???

I thought all 2.3T5's where the same from the 850 up - Ignoring the changes to the HT ignition side until they started using the 2.4T in 2004

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 27th June 2006, 15:23
Depends if your V70 1999 is an ME7 car.

The ME7 engine was fitted with stronger internals. There were IIRC further improvements in the proper phase 2 cars (i.e. S60 and V70 II). They can rev to 8K for starters - top limit for my ME7 is 6800.

dreadly
Tuesday 27th June 2006, 15:49
Depends if your V70 1999 is an ME7 car.

The ME7 engine was fitted with stronger internals. There were IIRC further improvements in the proper phase 2 cars (i.e. S60 and V70 II). They can rev to 8K for starters - top limit for my ME7 is 6800.

My S60 seems worlds apart from the V70P1 car, but how do I tell which engine it has??? - I presume from the VIN, what codes depict what engine?

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 27th June 2006, 16:11
Your S60 will be. Dunno if your V70 P1 is an ME7 though.

My C70 is really 1.5 phase. S60 is a proper phase 2. Both have the B5234T3 engine though, with the ME7 throttle.

The way to tell is the singular lack of throttle body on the ME7 and no throttle cable as featured in the earlier cars.

see post #7 on here
http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11306

GATHY
Tuesday 27th June 2006, 18:27

save £2000 and buy a t4 less thirsty and just as quick, if not faster
(alot lighter car)

siamblue
Tuesday 27th June 2006, 19:46
i have a v70 t5 and a v70 r the only difference i can tell is probable the suspension iwould say go for the t5 and then spend the money saved on modifiying then in theory u will have a t5 which is better than a r because u have spent the money saved on upgrading u can get a t5 with the leather cruise etc etc as u get on a r:) :)

what he said, I actually thought my ex plod fabric seats are more comfortable than my leather Alcantara seats in the R,
My ex plod had everything except elec seats and sunroof and cruise, if you can live without that get a non R spec car, the 850 is dated now, and tbh the phase 1 cars are too, but i would look for a car that has been well looked after, and as Adam said parts replaced,

Gary.

siamblue
Tuesday 27th June 2006, 19:50
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/85066.htm

buy this peach ;)

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/images/85066-1.jpg

oddjones
Tuesday 27th June 2006, 21:32
I'm a lazy old git and I want an auto (I know).