PDA

View Full Version : MBC, should i do it??

gtiteen
Monday 26th June 2006, 14:48
i've got an upsoloute chip at the moment. Is it safe to put a MBC and set it sensibly so that i can get the turbo to spool up slightly earlier?
Dave

SaffronC70
Monday 26th June 2006, 15:16
yeah, why not ? remember the problems you had when you first had the car ?

Chris

Wobbly Dave
Monday 26th June 2006, 15:48
I would not have thought that the MBC would assist in spool up of the turbo as this is controlled via the ECU/WG Actuator. MBC has an upper limited (tension on the spring inside the valve) but not a lower one. MBC AFAIK retains boost in the turbo longer by fooling the pressure feedback circuit going around the BCS?? With the MBC - the spring loaded valve mechanically holds back the pressure at which the W/G is opened (preset by you) - cant see how it would help if your car is already mapped. My advice is get a better map.

gtiteen
Tuesday 27th June 2006, 11:55
I havent got the money to spend on a remap unfortunatley. Just want something to make it a bit quicker i guess as ive got used to to the power i got now!

elliot
Tuesday 27th June 2006, 15:25
I havent got the money to spend on a remap unfortunatley. Just want something to make it a bit quicker i guess as ive got used to to the power i got now!

Honestly keep the upsolute map!I would'nt bother with the mbc the upsolute chip has a nice boost curve built into it by adjusting the BCS duty cycle so that it picks up faster than std and produce boost upto the limit of the turbos efficency.
The problem with an mbc is that it will spool the turbo really fast down low and feel really quick,but cause a massive amount of heat because the turbo is tiny and can produce lots of boost very fast!This will then kill the top end loosing i would say 15-20hp, it will feel quick when you plant it and the butt dyno will think your are making loads of power but you wont be.Spend the money on a 3inch DP and exhaust and that will give it the chance to breathe up top,these cars with a chip on the std turbo and exhaust have no topend and a pretty stong midrange.

GATHY
Tuesday 27th June 2006, 18:35
your chip as been set up for a standard car
id leave it or you could start losing the right mixtures etc and melt your internals or kill you turbo
if your gonna mess i would do it on a rolling road with a man that can imoa
:thewave: :thewave:

gtiteen
Tuesday 27th June 2006, 18:53
I think ill just leave it. Also a mate might buy it off me for £2500 so if he does i may be looking for a newer one! I have always felt that mine lacks top end.
Dave

elliot
Tuesday 27th June 2006, 19:21
your chip as been set up for a standard car
id leave it or you could start losing the right mixtures etc and melt your internals or kill you turbo
if your gonna mess i would do it on a rolling road with a man that can imoa
:thewave: :thewave:

Trust me there is enough fuel in that map for the exhaust and DP the Dp in particular makes the car run with much cooler EGT.With that map with a DP and exhaust and a few other breathing mods got me a 102mph trap no one on here has got close to that on std turbo.

elliot
Tuesday 27th June 2006, 19:23
I think ill just leave it. Also a mate might buy it off me for £2500 so if he does i may be looking for a newer one! I have always felt that mine lacks top end.
Dave

They all lack topend mate!Just look at the trap speeds people get at the 1/4 most people with an off the shelf chip get 95-98mph.I

BlackBeast
Tuesday 27th June 2006, 19:27
Dave

Dave, il buy the Eibach springs off you if your taking the go faster bits off!?!

gtiteen
Wednesday 28th June 2006, 01:43
Not sure whats hapenning yet with regards to selling it. I think ifhe does buy it he wants all the modifications though. If not ill put stuff up on here for minimal cash!