PDA

View Full Version : Have i done the right thing

RayT5-R
Sunday 25th June 2006, 22:44
I have finally found a gearbox for my T5-R but it's an M56H is this the right one.I paid £235 with 44,000 miles on it (so they say)will i notice a difference.

T5ER
Sunday 25th June 2006, 22:56
I have finally found a gearbox for my T5-R but it's an M56H is this the right one.I paid £235 with 44,000 miles on it (so they say)will i notice a difference.
Not sure but from memory the T5-r and 800 series R`s were fitted with a M59 gearbox with limited slip diff

splatt
Sunday 25th June 2006, 23:18
Nah...the 'R' was fitted with an LSD as standard. The T5R had a normal gearbox fitted.
Doubt you will notice a difference.
Fit it and let us know eh? Why not do a 'guide' for the knowledge base ????

lil_me
Monday 26th June 2006, 01:28
If its anything like my gearbox you'll spend more time trying to get the right one

Seen as there is three variations of the m56

One has a 'normal' (lever pushes bearing) release bearing (early cars)
One has a hydraulically operated unit inside of box for release bearing (late 850's and s70etc)
Early 850's have a speed sensor on the back of the diff casing (later cars use the abs sensor) only noticed this after i'd put the gearbox in.

If you are changing it yourself easiest way to get the box in and out is to take off arb drop link on passenger side and drop subframe down again on same side
The gearbox will come out through the wheel arch

If you need to know anything else just ask :)

oliwally
Monday 26th June 2006, 18:45
Yes That Would Be A Good Idea,I've Got To Do Mine On My Back Now As Manager At Works Being An Idiot And Wont Let Me Do It At Work With The 2 Poster Lifts. Done Want To Be Rolling Around On The Floor For Too Lang If I Can Help It.
Never Done One But Like To Avoid Taking The 6.2 Hours It Says In The Book!

lil_me
Monday 26th June 2006, 22:04
My cars finally mobile again after 3 weeks (spent 2 weeks trying to get right gearbox after removing mine)
If you have all the right parts its doesn't take that long.
One note there is a bolt hidden under the starter motor very hard to spot even harder to remove and put back.

nobananas
Monday 26th June 2006, 22:17
Yes That Would Be A Good Idea,I've Got To Do Mine On My Back Now As Manager At Works Being An Idiot And Wont Let Me Do It At Work With The 2 Poster Lifts. Done Want To Be Rolling Around On The Floor For Too Lang If I Can Help It.
Never Done One But Like To Avoid Taking The 6.2 Hours It Says In The Book!
If you manage to do it in under 6.2 hours will you come and do mine for me ? When I changed the clutch it took a good couple of days (flat on me back mind you !) and now the gearbox is up for a swap !

JUDGENINJA
Tuesday 27th June 2006, 01:01
I changed my gearbox and it took 6 months...... good luck......

oliwally
Tuesday 27th June 2006, 07:21
:wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: Please dont say stuff like that:mad: