PDA

View Full Version : Hub Replacement Probs

Big_Papa_T
Sunday 25th June 2006, 08:46
My wheel bearing has been playing up over the last few weeks so i decided to get a new hub and change it yesterday! Bad idea!
I've removed the caliper, pads, caliper carrier, disc retaining bolt and the drive shaft from the centre of the hub! I've also removed the 4 star shaped bolts that secure the hub from the back.
The problem i have is that i should be at the stage where the hub should be able to be extracted, however i can't get it to budge, it is stuck solid and so is the brake disc!
Has anyone else had this problem and if so how did you manage to budge it? It does look like this is the first time the hub and disc will have been replaced but surely it can't be that hard to remove them! I reckon they must be secured with locktight or some other adhesive!
Any advise would be greatly appreciated!
By the way the car is 1999 C70!

Cheers
Scott

iGGy
Sunday 25th June 2006, 09:10
You're correct, normally they are bonded into the hub to stop them making a noise.

I used a hydraulic puller on mine, managed to get one off in car and the other I had to take off completely to hold it in a vice. Even then it was only just as I thought I was in danger of breaking the puller did it budge. Sometimes you have to take it to a machine shop with a proper press to get the things apart.

Haynes says refit using the metal adhesive, quite a few people don't bother and I just used a bit of Loctite bearing fit on mine.

Big_Papa_T
Sunday 25th June 2006, 09:35
Won't be very easy to seperate then if i don't have a press!
Why does everything end up being such a pain!
I was going to try heating it up today to try and melt the bonding but reckon this will be useless if the thing is secured that tightly!

SaffronC70
Sunday 25th June 2006, 09:59
Big hammer and good luck ?

Keep tapping it, moving the disc round as you go - although you have probably done the brute force job already !

Chris

Straker
Sunday 25th June 2006, 12:15
Try a hub puller, always a good tool to have

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/search.asp?q=hub+puller

elliot
Monday 26th June 2006, 15:27
I got mine very very hot and used a puller and tapped it with a hammer,well hit it actually really hard lol.One side came off ok the other was a real pain!

Tomcat
Monday 26th June 2006, 17:39
Changing some discs a while back I actually managed to break the disc I hit it that hard!, I got it off , in pieces I might add.....

If a big hammer doesnt work, get a bigger one!!

Rufe
Monday 26th June 2006, 18:34
lol at the bigger hammer.... i used a scaffolding bar and a sledge hammer to get a disk off before, that had practically welded itself on to the vectra

Big_Papa_T
Monday 26th June 2006, 19:33
Cheers for all the help folks!

I'm getting a hub puller delivered tomorrow, so hopefully that should get it off!

dreadly
Monday 26th June 2006, 20:35
I just used a really BIG hammer, some GAS, an Angle Grinder, two broken hub pullers and a lot of foul language...

Never buy a french car :(

dicky b t5
Monday 26th June 2006, 21:45
Well, we changed the Discs on my car today.....Came off real easy, one little tap with a hammer on the back ones was all that was needed.....!!

Happy Days...!lol

JUDGENINJA
Tuesday 27th June 2006, 01:04
I've changed my front discs twice now and both times they came off no problems....... just use a bigger hammer.......