PDA

View Full Version : Oil Leak On 850 T5 But Not Losing Oil Help!

rich850t5
Monday 28th March 2005, 19:43
:hail: HI GUY'S i have a leak under engine i've tried to locate it but cant thought it might me crankshaft seal but i last topped it up 2wks ago and i checked all levels today but everything is at max (all checks were done cold )am i right in saying that the gearbox (auto) needs engine running to check? I AM WELL LOST ON THIS ONE HELP NEEDED!! cheers Rich :hail:

chriskay
Monday 28th March 2005, 21:55
You can check the auto box cold, but it's more accurate hot

rich850t5
Monday 28th March 2005, 21:59
You can check the auto box cold, but it's more accurate hotteah ive done both but ts still at max ta rich

andi t5
Tuesday 29th March 2005, 12:52
go on to the voc forums (yeah i know but needs must) and do a search on the v70/850 site for "oil leaks" theres numerous posts about the various causes that can lead to oil in this area

Bracer
Tuesday 29th March 2005, 12:57
Can you give me a little more info on the position of the leak. I take it from your comment about the Crank seal that your talking about the rear one and that the leak is on the RH side of the engine between the gear box ?

Steve

rich850t5
Wednesday 30th March 2005, 22:34
:worried:
Can you give me a little more info on the position of the leak. I take it from your comment about the Crank seal that your talking about the rear one and that the leak is on the RH side of the engine between the gear box ?

Steve :worried: :worried: Yeah steve it seems to be that side i cleaned it all off and let it run but cant see where its coming from,ive done 250mls since i last topped it up and yet the levels are ok,oil was laying along sump gasket area so i nipped up the bolts,looking underneath its been leaking a long time (no need for underseal haha!!) i need to clean it all again and drive it a few miles and then get back under it.Its just i cant get over the fact it still leaks but doesn't use any oil but judging by the oil smell and colour it maybe atf,i guess i'll just have keep at it cheers (still :worried: ) Rich

rich850t5
Tuesday 12th April 2005, 22:33
NAH! it's engine alright,i got under it the other day and had the engine running but couldn't trace leak so took it for a quick run and checked again and it is coming out at the top of gearbox,Appears to be getting blown out by the flywheel and ends up all over the back of engine,But it doesn't drip much from the hole at the join area,So is this the crankseal or is there (fingers crossed)something else that can leak in that area!

Bracer
Wednesday 13th April 2005, 09:51
NAH! it's engine alright,i got under it the other day and had the engine running but couldn't trace leak so took it for a quick run and checked again and it is coming out at the top of gearbox,Appears to be getting blown out by the flywheel and ends up all over the back of engine,But it doesn't drip much from the hole at the join area,So is this the crankseal or is there (fingers crossed)something else that can leak in that area!

Gotta say mate its strange that its coming out the top of the box ?

But could be the crank seal and its getting flicked out that way.

Martinr
Wednesday 13th April 2005, 09:59
If you see my "oil on drive" post you will see that I am currently in the process of having my crankshaft oil seal replaced.

Although there appeared to be a lot of oil under the car, the actual impact on the dipstick was not noticeable.

Try dripping oil on a flat surface and see how far it will spread out. Liquids naturally spread into a large area but tha actual thickness of the spill is tiny. I once saw a bag of blood dropped in a hospital reception area, looked like a scene from dawn of the dead but less than a pint was spilled.

The dipstick marks are not that accurate I think, that they will show the quantities involved.

lance
Wednesday 13th April 2005, 10:04
I think the dipstick represents around 1-1.5 litres if I remember rightly.
Im having a new clutch on friday and at the same time a new crank oil seal , my mechanic reckons its very common for these to go with very little warning!

rich850t5
Thursday 14th April 2005, 00:14
Gotta say mate its strange that its coming out the top of the box ?

But could be the crank seal and its getting flicked out that way.OK i might have put it wrong,The oil is coming from a gap(i guess there used to be a cover/plate there)to the left of the sump where gearbox joins i can see the flywheel and the oil appears to come from there but only after a drive,i left it on idle for 30 mins and it dripped 3 drips in all that time :uglyhamme

rich850t5
Thursday 14th April 2005, 17:32
Come on bracer give us a clue

Bracer
Tuesday 19th April 2005, 08:38
Come on bracer give us a clue

Sorry Bud errrrrr well yeah I dont belive the flywheel should be exposed at all and if you've got oil in the bell housing then its 99% gonna be the crank shaft seal.

rich850t5
Tuesday 19th April 2005, 17:54
Sorry Bud errrrrr well yeah I dont belive the flywheel should be exposed at all and if you've got oil in the bell housing then its 99% gonna be the crank shaft seal.Cheers steve as always its bad news!