PDA

View Full Version : Finger scrapes on the bonnet! GRR!

pzorb
Friday 23rd June 2006, 14:13
Right so it looks like the bonnet needs to be sorted out as overnight it has aquired some lovely deep scratches that really show. Someone said Tcut?

Any recommendations for fixing this, the scratches are down to the white and maybe total half a cm wide in thin lines.

I'm a total n00b at car bodywork; I normally go to a (albeit good) car wash. Can I sort this out myself or does anyone know a reasonable valeter in or around Oxford? Last time I got a quote for £140 for every panel on the sides (no bonnet boot or roof) but the guy said it wasn't worth doing (cheeky git!)

arbee
Friday 23rd June 2006, 14:24
if its gone through the top coat t cut will be no good. a respray of the bonnnet shouldn't cost more than say £200 tops, tho you may be ably to touch it in and then t-cut it back. it would certainly take your eye off it at least. depends what you want to spend!

pzorb
Friday 23rd June 2006, 14:42
How can you tell if it's gone through the top coat?
BTW I know how stupid that sounds :)

arbee
Friday 23rd June 2006, 14:51
How can you tell if it's gone through the top coat?
BTW I know how stupid that sounds :)

lol, if you can see white undercoat, and you have a red car, then it has gone through the (red) top coat. I'm assuming yours is a non-metalic red?

The top coat of metalics is clear layer so can get away with a little more with them.

Vikingxl
Saturday 24th June 2006, 15:41
You need to move house mate!

pzorb
Saturday 24th June 2006, 17:59
Heh this was when I was visiting a friend down in Bristol. Wierd thing is I was sleeping in the car at the time... sleep-scratching maybe?

Fairly sure it's metallic paint btw arbee, but I don't have anything to practice on before I try it on the car and obviously products like Tcut, Mer etc should be used with caution... humph

Tomcat
Saturday 24th June 2006, 20:27
Don't forget that the clear coat would appear white if it gets scratched, can you feel the scratch with a finger nail?. it usually very difficult to touch up a scratch with out it showing but it is possible.

If you cant feel the scratch, you should be able to Tcut it out, if its deep then follow the procedure below, it may help you.

1) Use the base colour touch up on the scratch, don't worry about being too neat.

2) Leave it a day or so to dry thorougly.

3) Flat down the scratch(gently), with either some 1200 or 1500(better) wet and dry paper and LOTS of soapy water. Don't sand too much or you'll make it worse and break through the clear coat

4) Thoroughly dry the area, apply the clear touch up along the scratch.

5) Leave to dry again.

6) Once dry flat down the scratch again until smooth, if you've done this right the paint around the scratch will be mat, but the scratch should be all but invisible.

7) Tcut the area around the scratch, this will bring the shine back to the paint, you may end up having to Tcut the whole bonnet if your paint wasn't too good to start off with, as you might end up with a shiny patch where you've been working.

Failing this its a full respray of the bonnet I'm afraid.