PDA

View Full Version : ECU-ECM? are they the same?

monkey_boy
Thursday 22nd June 2006, 16:47
ECU = Engine control unit?
ECM = Engine control module?

If they are indeed one and the same, I have the dreaded fluctuating idle and flat spot. I am prepared (mentally) for the replacement of the ECM. But if this is the case whats the benefit of the Rica ECU's i have read (little) about. Especially on an otherwise standard lump.

volvotuning
Thursday 22nd June 2006, 17:08
ECU = Engine control unit?
ECM = Engine control module?

If they are indeed one and the same, I have the dreaded fluctuating idle and flat spot. I am prepared (mentally) for the replacement of the ECM. But if this is the case whats the benefit of the Rica ECU's i have read (little) about. Especially on an otherwise standard lump.

Yes they are the same. However, the dreaded idle is caused by neither of the above! It's the ETM - Electronic Throttle Module that causes the problems. However, isn't yours is the new V70R? If so, then the problem is probably elsewhere.

Adam.

monkey_boy
Friday 23rd June 2006, 08:24
Oh, good point. Although aparently mine (as with EVERY car i have ever owned) is on the cusp of a change. Are there obvious ways to tell them apart? I tried the one way valve so many people recommend trying last night. That works A ok. I have a C70 T5. Not sure if there are differences in that and the V70R?

Wobbly Dave
Friday 23rd June 2006, 08:25
Do it fluctuate when the air-con is off?

volvotuning
Friday 23rd June 2006, 08:35
Oh, good point. Although aparently mine (as with EVERY car i have ever owned) is on the cusp of a change. Are there obvious ways to tell them apart? I tried the one way valve so many people recommend trying last night. That works A ok. I have a C70 T5. Not sure if there are differences in that and the V70R?

Sorry, got you confused with a different username lab-monkey who has a V70R. What year is your C70?

Adam.

monkey_boy
Friday 23rd June 2006, 11:28
No the aircon has absolutely no effect in the idle, on or off. My car is a 2000 but i am not sure which engine model is fitted. How can i tell?

Wobbly Dave
Friday 23rd June 2006, 12:30
2000 will almost defo be a ME7 engine. Lack of throttle cable is a give away. Look at pic - this is the old engine with the throttle body and cable highlighted.

Wobbly Dave
Friday 23rd June 2006, 12:31
An ME7 engine will NOT have these features plus the inlet manifold at the front is more angular

monkey_boy
Friday 23rd June 2006, 13:26
Cheers Dave, Yes i definatly have the newer engine. so these newer engines have more reliable ETM's if its not that thats causing my iffy idle and the one way valve is ok. Any ideas people? I am not overly worried but bloody fascinated now :) I havent owned a car in years that has caught my attention like my C70!