PDA

View Full Version : suspension

fireplums
Monday 18th October 2004, 16:31
Hi there I was hoping there would be a t5 site and this looks great.
I recently bought a T5 estate and am pleased with the car especially the performance at the mid range. Cant get used to the wallowing around / soft suspension though. Apparently theres nothing wrong with it but it feels too spongy for my liking, perhaps I spent too long in rattly gti's / mr2's etc or am just driving it to fast? :dgrin:
Any ways how do I sort the ride out ideally lowering it a bit maybe 30-40 mm.
Can I just get a set of lowering springs or do I need much else?

cheers

Justin
Monday 18th October 2004, 16:47
There are several options available to you, speak to "GuyT5" on here, he has just had a full set up done with volvotuning at around £700, he now swears by the car and handling.

How many miles and what model do you have?

:welcome: BTW

fireplums
Monday 18th October 2004, 16:59
its a cd spec t5 and its done just under 100k , its otherwise a solid old box!

Justin
Monday 18th October 2004, 17:01
850 or V70?

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 19th October 2004, 10:02
:welcome:

Strut brace - oem part from Volvo for about £75. Hooked up with suspension upgrade e.g bilstein and eibach combo will sort you out a treat.

fireplums
Tuesday 16th November 2004, 09:22
Is this any good? and how hard would it be to fit for someone with zero mechanical knowledge and a bag of rusty spanners sat on a crate of stella.... :)
I have got trolley jack, axel stands etc

http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/product_info.php?products_id=2285

Bracer
Tuesday 16th November 2004, 09:41
I went for Springs only and chose a set of Pi's. From past experience I've always found them to be very hard sprung and on small cars tend to end up rather bouncy :bounce: but I was working on the theory of the extra weight of the Volvo :tank: balancing out the ride quality.
And it worked the car is now 40mm lower and the springs are rated at 30% stiffer, the car now rides and handles like a 4 door sports saloon should :firedevil I'm very happy with the minimum body roll in corners and it doesn't break your back every time you go over a cats eye.

I have managed to out pace many cars down tight A roads and back lanes which amongst have been a few MkII Golf Gti's and Peugeot 205 Gti's.

Here's a pic,

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/3/web/639000-639999/639353_52_full.jpg

fireplums
Tuesday 16th November 2004, 11:30
That car is looking sweet ! :thewave:
Must have been satisfying beating a 205 gti through the corners, they handle so well .

I could happily keep up with a lotus elise through tight bends in my old one although it needed more servicing and garage visits than an EVO bloody nightmare to own.

Where did you get the springs from? I'm trying to stick to a tight budget so they sound good

Bracer
Tuesday 16th November 2004, 11:41
That car is looking sweet ! :thewave:
Must have been satisfying beating a 205 gti through the corners, they handle so well .

I could happily keep up with a lotus elise through tight bends in my old one although it needed more servicing and garage visits than an EVO bloody nightmare to own.

Where did you get the springs from? I'm trying to stick to a tight budget so they sound good

The Kill was most satisfying and I started off behind him and pushed him along till there was room to past then then continued to pull away against his best efforts :sinner:

I got the Springs from my local Motor Mania shop they were £98 I think, well no more than £100 anyhow :wink:

fireplums
Tuesday 16th November 2004, 13:04
I read somewhere you couldnt just replace springs on the estates? something to do with self leveling suspension, do you know if that is correct?
I have got the estate cd spec

Bracer
Tuesday 16th November 2004, 13:22
I read somewhere you couldnt just replace springs on the estates? something to do with self leveling suspension, do you know if that is correct?
I have got the estate cd spec

Well all I can say is I have the self leveling on mine, but didn't realise it and in so not knowing got the rear springs cut 2 coils then realised, but still its caused no problems, if anything has tightened up the back even more cos the 2 are working against each other, but dont seem to cause a problem :dgrin:

fireplums
Tuesday 16th November 2004, 14:13
Cheers Bracer

Just emailed motor mania for a price on the PI's soiunds like just the budget option I was looking for nice one.

Bracer
Tuesday 16th November 2004, 14:15
Cheers Bracer

Just emailed motor mania for a price on the PI's soiunds like just the budget option I was looking for nice one.

No problem, glad to help :wink: