PDA

View Full Version : Clutch

gtiteen
Tuesday 20th June 2006, 13:37
I think the clutch is on its way. The bite point is right up and theres a juddering almost everytime you pull away. Also noticed the gear changes can be a bit crunchy or notchy recently.
Is there a way to adjust the clutch cable?
Thanks,
Dave

Babybadger
Tuesday 20th June 2006, 17:00
I think the clutch is on its way. The bite point is right up and theres a juddering almost everytime you pull away. Also noticed the gear changes can be a bit crunchy or notchy recently.
Is there a way to adjust the clutch cable?
Thanks,
Dave

Clutch is hydraulic dave. I think its natural for them to get a bit worn with age and get notchy. If you do get the clutch done , depending on your mileage, get the rear main oil seal done at the same time (most manual drivers do), if you plan to hang on to the car long term. Its a good preventative measure. http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/t5732-blocked-breather-pipe-leadin-to-rear-main-seal-failure.html

t5 stealth
Tuesday 20th June 2006, 18:21
try getting it bled out 1st,
mite just be air in the system as brake fluid absorbs moisture,
its worth trying b4 you go changing a clutch only to find its still the same after you spent a few hundred quid on it,
may even be the clutch slave cylinder at fault

Tomcat
Tuesday 20th June 2006, 19:04
I changed my slave cylinder recently and the fluid that came out was like treacle, probably never been changed. As already mentioned, try this first and see if it makes any difference, after all its only gonna cost a fiver or so for the fluid.

gtiteen
Tuesday 20th June 2006, 20:58
Cheers, ill try that. Otherwise im gonna wait untill the clutch actually gives up im so reluctant to have it done!

T-5ones
Tuesday 20th June 2006, 22:55
If having to go down the clutch replace route, dont forget about the release bearing while you are at it.

gtiteen
Tuesday 20th June 2006, 23:05
If it has to be done all the little jobs will get done aswell to save any problems later. I figure if theres a big bill its only a small %age more!!
Dave