PDA

View Full Version : Limp mode?

MarkGolf
Monday 28th March 2005, 11:58
Yesterday, I was out with a friend and camera, just going up and down the local 'drag strip' and after a few runs, the little orange arrow started flashing up on the dash and the car felt as though it just didn't want to move, or just in 'winter' mode...

Would like to know why this happened...
I was low on petrol too if that adds to the equation...

Wobbly Dave
Monday 28th March 2005, 13:00
That is the automatic transmission warning light. Check the colour, smell and levels in the box using the yellow dipstick underneath the air intake.

Good luck.

Wobbly Dave
Monday 28th March 2005, 13:07
You should not drive the car until this is sorted.

If the ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid) smells burnt and is black then it will need changing. If it is burnt then the small black bits will clog the filters in the Automatic Transmission (AT) making it worse.

At worst you could be looking at an AT recon.

MarkGolf
Monday 28th March 2005, 13:28
Just been out and checked as the hand book says and its clean as anything!
I was driving the car quite hard, only sprinting..
Final run, when slowing down, the light came on, so pulled over, turned the car off, let it cool down, locked ad unlocked it and the light hasn't appeared since...
Maybe it was tooo hot?

Wobbly Dave
Monday 28th March 2005, 13:35
ATF should be reddish and smell of oil. It is possible you overstressed it and the light came on when it was getting too hot.

MarkGolf
Monday 28th March 2005, 13:58
Hope so..

Going to change it next week anyway, its coming up 10k since it was last done, just have to investigate how you do an ATF change n this car.. (cough cough nudge wink)

Its a very light brown colour and smells of oil, but does smell a bit burnt.. Going to change thatand the engine oil for piece of mind, the engine oil was done 3k ago by last owners mechanic, but they have used 5/30 Syn oil

As I use the car quite hard on weekends, traffic during week days, think I shud use 10/40 semi?

Thanks yet again for your help! lol :D