PDA

View Full Version : Mp3/ICE query?

T5SLAVE
Sunday 18th June 2006, 21:17
Bit of an odd one this folks but I've been thinkin again:confused: uh oh....

I am thinkin of changin my mobile phone anytime now and wish to change it for a v.smart Mp3 phone, most notably the Nokia N91. Not a problem so far, however, it got me thinkin? If I do indeed get an Mp3 mobile phone, for arguments sake it does end up being the N91, could I then plug it into the car (ala iPod stylee) n play the tunes that r held on it thru my ICE???

I will obviously be up for changing the headunit n fittin an in car kit for the phone anyway but just wondered if this setup was possible. If not I can just go the good 'ole iPod route, I just thought it'd be bleedin handy if the mobile phone could do the job as I always have it on me.....

Thanx 4 any input in advance peeps:B_thumb:

arbee
Sunday 18th June 2006, 22:45
its likely that you would only ever be able to control the tunes via the phone, so imagine searching throgh menus and faffing about with your phone to get it to play. You would probably be able to take the sound through the phones headphone output and send it through your head units aux input - most modern aftermarket stereos have this feature.

the benfit of the ipod route is every manufacturer does an interface do you can actually control your ipod from the headunit :) - in liklihood it will also sound a hell of a lot better too :)

Baj
Sunday 18th June 2006, 22:50
Someone is selling an mp3 Hdd headuninit here. By far a better option.
Your phone will only have a couple of gig memory which means you will be bored of the songs pretty quick.
Or buy a headunit that plays mp3 cds for £100

T5SLAVE
Sunday 18th June 2006, 22:59
Thanx for those comments chaps, that'll help me channel my efforts in an altogether more sensible direction, maybe the phone thing was a lil' too ambunitiomonous!!!

mulletboy2
Monday 19th June 2006, 10:21
Yeah, and don't forget.. fiddling with your stereo won't earn you points (especially if you use a remote), but fiddling with your mobile woud be a LOT more dangerous ;)

Alpine's new headunits come with a really great ipod interface apparently. The complaint in the past, of almost every manufacturer i've heard of, has been that either the user interface was no good, or scrolling through directories/playlists/etc.. was too slow. Alpine apparently have that sorted now.

HTH

Mark

S40 T4
Monday 19th June 2006, 12:28
I use my MP3 phone (W800i) in mine. It works really well, via the aux in on the headunit with an adaptor lead, although you do have to use the phone to change tracks. Not a major problem for me as i normally play the whole album anyway - like I do with a cd!
On the plus side, it also puts calls through the radio speakers, so it also doubles as a hands free kit.

Azza
Monday 19th June 2006, 13:03
When you say "via the aux in on the headunit with an adaptor lead", is it literally a straight connection ? Did you have to take out the headunit and fix it ? I have an MP3 player i'd like to connect up, i'm using an FM transmitter at the moment, which works damn well, but the power supply ciggie adaptor seems to have gone kaput in this heat!

Azza

S40 T4
Monday 19th June 2006, 13:27
My headunit is an aftermarket one. It has Red & White Aux in spaces on the back (same as TV, PS2 etc.) and I have a lead from Maplins (about £2) that changes these to a normal headphone jack and this pokes out under my heaunit into the shelf that filled the space from double din to din.

Azza
Monday 19th June 2006, 13:31
Ahh i see, that explains it then!

I was looking for an easy solution with my SC901...

Thanks,

Azza