PDA

View Full Version : Whats the difference...?

splatt
Sunday 27th March 2005, 22:57
between a 850R/850T5-R and Whats an 855????

Goof
Sunday 27th March 2005, 23:32
855 = 5 door (i.e. estate)
854 = 4 door (i.e. saloon)

Others can go into more detail about the "R" versions! - I just did the easy bit!;)

splatt
Sunday 27th March 2005, 23:39
855 = 5 door (i.e. estate)
854 = 4 door (i.e. saloon)

Others can go into more detail about the "R" versions! - I just did the easy bit!;)
:slap: :slap: obvious really...thanks on that one.
Read somewhere that the R will hold boost forever but the t5-r will do 30 seconds...am I reading rubbish....?

jross
Monday 28th March 2005, 01:06
Read somewhere that the R will hold boost forever but the t5-r will do 30 seconds...am I reading rubbish....?

Yep, rubbish.

The 850R has different seats (suede on middle section rather than the outer edges), different rims (7-spoke Volans vs. 5-spoke Titans on the T5-R), maybe different sway bars (I can't remember if they introduced the bigger sways in '95 or '96). 850Rs are OBD-II while T5-Rs are OBD-I.

The biggest difference is if you've got a manual R. The T5-Rs all have the 15g turbo and, if 5-speed, the M56H with an open differential. The 850Rs have a 15g if autotragic equipped (engine code B5234T5), and a 16T if you've got a 5-speed. In addition to the bigger turbo, they've also got the M59, which is unique to the Rs. Offhand, I can't recall if gearing is different -- I'll have to look it up -- but both have a 4:1 final drive. The big difference is that the M59 has a limited-slip differential, which is a god-send.

On both, you get a couple seconds (30?) of higher boost @ WOT, then it drops down a pound or so.

splatt
Monday 28th March 2005, 01:23
Yep, rubbish.

The 850R has different seats (suede on middle section rather than the outer edges), different rims (7-spoke Volans vs. 5-spoke Titans on the T5-R), maybe different sway bars (I can't remember if they introduced the bigger sways in '95 or '96). 850Rs are OBD-II while T5-Rs are OBD-I.

The biggest difference is if you've got a manual R. The T5-Rs all have the 15g turbo and, if 5-speed, the M56H with an open differential. The 850Rs have a 15g if autotragic equipped (engine code B5234T5), and a 16T if you've got a 5-speed. In addition to the bigger turbo, they've also got the M59, which is unique to the Rs. Offhand, I can't recall if gearing is different -- I'll have to look it up -- but both have a 4:1 final drive. The big difference is that the M59 has a limited-slip differential, which is a god-send.

On both, you get a couple seconds (30?) of higher boost @ WOT, then it drops down a pound or so.

A very useful bit of information. I should not be dissapointed with my boring 850 t5-r then...(I am not)

HuskMan
Monday 28th March 2005, 21:21
But what does it all mean...? I've eaten through two Kinder Surprise Easter eggs trying to sort through this reply on Google (they were the kids eggs and I'm doing them a favour by eating them on their behalf - children's obesity and all that).
What is OBD? And what is the M59 apart from an abandoned motorway south of Preston, Lancs?
What I do know is that the 850R on my drive is just awesome...

splatt
Monday 28th March 2005, 21:32
But what does it all mean...? I've eaten through two Kinder Surprise Easter eggs trying to sort through this reply on Google (they were the kids eggs and I'm doing them a favour by eating them on their behalf - children's obesity and all that).
What is OBD? And what is the M59 apart from an abandoned motorway south of Preston, Lancs?
What I do know is that the 850R on my drive is just awesome...
The way I read it is the 850R has a bigger tub and a LSD which might be its achiles heel (bit weaker I hear but not a prob I guess unless you are driving it in the touring car series), The 850t-5R has a smaller tub and no LSD so is a bitch to keep from spinning the wheels if you are that way inclined. The T5 is similar but not as bad.
The 850 t-5R has firmer suspension than them all and therefore handles a smidge better if you are able to drive to the limit all the time... but if you want a better ride go for the straight T5....choices choices eh?

By the way, 2 kinder eggs...well done mate, sometimes its nice to be good to the kiddies.

HuskMan
Monday 28th March 2005, 21:36
>>By the way, 2 kinder eggs...well done mate, sometimes its nice to be good to the kiddies.

I know, I know, I'm sure they'll forgive me in the end. NOt tomorrow when they wake up, but one day...

It's in their best interest really. They can have the crap toys though. Can't get Taz to spin on the floor or Daffy to to rock on the swing...

jross
Monday 28th March 2005, 22:15
The way I read it is the 850R has a bigger tub and a LSD which might be its achiles heel (bit weaker I hear but not a prob I guess unless you are driving it in the touring car series), The 850t-5R has a smaller tub and no LSD so is a bitch to keep from spinning the wheels if you are that way inclined. The T5 is similar but not as bad.
The 850 t-5R has firmer suspension than them all and therefore handles a smidge better if you are able to drive to the limit all the time... but if you want a better ride go for the straight T5....choices choices eh?

By the way, 2 kinder eggs...well done mate, sometimes its nice to be good to the kiddies.

Mostly correct. The LSD is NOT an achilles heel. The 15G is indeed smaller than the 16T, so you're right on turbo sizes. The T5-R and the R both have identical suspensions, so if yours rides much rougher than a buddy's R, it's time to change your front struts.

To answer someone else's question, the M59 (in this context) is a small-run 5-speed manual transmission that Volvo only put on the 850Rs. The M56H is a variant of another of Volvo's 5-speed transmissions. There is an early M56 variant, the M56L, which has different gearing and was on all cars up to MY95 and on a smattering of the MY95 cars.

splatt
Friday 1st April 2005, 22:47
Hey...no offence, The LSD is a nice addition, I just read that it was not as strong. Like I said, if u are not doing touring car series then it would never be a problem....
Good information though,,,very excited, pick mine up soon.... :banana:

splatt
Saturday 2nd April 2005, 22:03
Got it......today......very nice 850 t5-r manual saloon 67 k genuine A1 condition full history am I going on a bit now? :rolleyes2

lance
Sunday 3rd April 2005, 00:11
Well done on getting very nice CAR! 66k is not even run in!
Have you any Pics