PDA

View Full Version : Braided hoses - what you need...

r07s
Friday 16th June 2006, 21:07
OK, time to replace those rear discs (thanks DickyB for your setup mate) - so while im hear in brake-mode; what else should i be up to eh?

Braided hoses? what else do i need and where from (VT?)
Change the fluid to 5.1 - is this the good stuff?
My DS2500 pads still very healthy - shall i replace, clean, use them for earings?

Any advise, other considerations, insight, abuse gladly welcome :smileypul

BlackBeast
Friday 16th June 2006, 21:13
If your doing the work then you will need the relevant tools to take the wheel, calipers and brake hoses off.

You might aswell get braided hoses. VT do them, also a number of other places. Before going straight for 5.1, have a look at the dry and wet boiling points, some Dot 4 fluids are better than 5.1s, stupid i know, but its the way it is.

When you change a disc you normally change the pad also. It all depends on how much life is left on the pads!?!

r07s
Friday 16th June 2006, 21:22
If your doing the work then you will need the relevant tools to take the wheel, calipers and brake hoses off.

You might aswell get braided hoses. VT do them, also a number of other places. Before going straight for 5.1, have a look at the dry and wet boiling points, some Dot 4 fluids are better than 5.1s, stupid i know, but its the way it is.

When you change a disc you normally change the pad also. It all depends on how much life is left on the pads!?!
Cheers fella!!

Ill drop VT a line soon for the hoses - you recommend any particular fluid mate?

RT MECHANICS
Friday 16th June 2006, 21:24
When you change discs you ALWAYS change the pads for new as well.

Braided hose kits are a very good idea as well as the fluid to a higher boiling point once changed it will give the brake pedal a lot more feel and a slightly harder pedal as well.

Russ

Engineer
Friday 16th June 2006, 21:26
Cheers fella!!

Ill drop VT a line soon for the hoses - you recommend any particular fluid mate?

Redline.

BlackBeast
Friday 16th June 2006, 21:43
Redline.

Whats the boiling points for the redline?

Motul RBF600 Dot 4 racing fluid has a dry boiling point of 312c/593f and a wet boiling point of 216c/420f.

For a comparison, Motul 5.1 has a dry boiling point of 270c/518f and a wet boiling point of 185c/365f.

dreadly
Saturday 17th June 2006, 06:52
I was also told that braided hoses help cool the brake fluid, was told this by some boy-racer kid, so it may be a bit like folding the rear seats down to go faster etc..

gtiteen
Saturday 17th June 2006, 11:18
I was also told that braided hoses help cool the brake fluid, was told this by some boy-racer kid, so it may be a bit like folding the rear seats down to go faster etc..

Could be true as they may conduct heat away better, not sure if it would be a big difference though.:confused:

Oh, and i hope he also added that chromed wipers add a good 20 bhp !!

dreadly
Saturday 17th June 2006, 17:52
Could be true as they may conduct heat away better, not sure if it would be a big difference though.:confused:

Oh, and i hope he also added that chromed wipers add a good 20 bhp !!

LOL, better get meself down to motor factors ASAP for them wipers :) and a nice set of go-faster furry dice.