PDA

View Full Version : Painting Disc Bells....!!

dicky b t5
Thursday 15th June 2006, 21:54
Evening All.....(ooh...Sounded like a Copper then....!lol)

Anyways, I've got me new Discs etc coming tomorrow..
(Thanks Marshalls :Handshake)
And i'm going to paint the Bells on the Discs before they get fitted next week to stop them going rusty....!

Can anyone please tell me what the best paint to use is....

Caliper paint or some other stuff.

Many thanks, Dicky Boy. :)

arbee
Thursday 15th June 2006, 21:59
hi mate, where you been hiding? I guess (and I reiterate the 'guess' lol) that the caliper laquer/paint will be a little more resiliant to brake dust baking itself on tho you'll more limited with colours. you going for something lairy or sticking with black/red etc

After_Shock
Thursday 15th June 2006, 22:02
Do them silver always looks good on the bells, and dont use halfords spray stuff for calipers, regardless how many coats you put on the stuff burns off after a couple of months and the rust appears!

dicky b t5
Thursday 15th June 2006, 22:40
Thanks Chaps....

I'm looking at doing my Bells and Calipers in Grey so they look nice and clean
but Not in ya face.
Deffo gonna do the Calipers in Grey, I've got some Nice silver "R" decals for them.
Might well do the bells in silver, I'll wait and see.....

But....I still need to know whats the best paint to use. :mischievo

Daz T5
Thursday 15th June 2006, 22:41
I've used Cellulose wheel silver on a few of mine in the past and does the trick, just make sure you key them up a bit first with some 400 wet & dry:)

BlackBeast
Thursday 15th June 2006, 22:44
Genuine Volvo anthracite paint, same as they use for the R calipers, then lacquer them.

dicky b t5
Thursday 15th June 2006, 22:49
Genuine Volvo anthracite paint, same as they use for the R calipers, then lacquer them.
BB thats a great idea....Did'nt even think of that....:Handshake

siamblue
Thursday 15th June 2006, 22:53
I would leave them bare, in a week they will blend in nicely to the rest of the car, :haha:
what discs did you go for?
I have pm'ed them for some 330's

Gary.

dicky b t5
Thursday 15th June 2006, 23:05
I would leave them bare, in a week they will blend in nicely to the rest of the car, :haha:
what discs did you go for?
I have pm'ed them for some 330's

Gary.
Hi Gaz ya Cheeky Get....!!lol :cuckoo:

Mate, went for standard OE discs allround with Police Spec pads up front,
new OE pads for the rear, new handbrake shoes as well. (Oh and 5.1 fluid)

Read some good reports on Police spec pads on other forums, thought i'd give them ago.....under 40 squid to..! DB.

Tomcat
Thursday 15th June 2006, 23:22
I've recently replaced my discs for cross drilled and grooved 302's, also I replaced the pads but with standard items(motor factors), still getting loads of squeel from the brakes when stopping. I painted my bells(front and rear) with silver hamerite(smooth), should be very hard wearing on bare metal. I think I'm going to have to change the pads again soon, any recomendations
??

pzorb
Friday 16th June 2006, 09:09
still getting loads of squeel from the brakes when stopping.
More copper grease needed?

dicky b t5
Friday 16th June 2006, 17:36
I've recently replaced my discs for cross drilled and grooved 302's, also I replaced the pads but with standard items(motor factors), still getting loads of squeel from the brakes when stopping. I painted my bells(front and rear) with silver hamerite(smooth), should be very hard wearing on bare metal. I think I'm going to have to change the pads again soon, any recomendations
??
TC, I'll let you know how i get on with the Police pads when their fitted.

But they are meant to be very good.....38 squid from Marshalls iirc..!

nobananas
Friday 16th June 2006, 21:54
I used a two pack caliper laquer called Savage on mine . I tried high temperature paint on the rears but it came off in sheets and I had to redo them in the Savage stuff. I've seen it on ebay for about £18 or Wilco sell it.

Tomcat
Friday 16th June 2006, 22:07
More copper grease needed?

Er.. I didn't actually use any copper grease, I used some blue stuff you apply to the back of the pads, its supposed to stop them squeeling(yeah right). I'm going to try buying some shims tomorrow and see if that helps(with a lot of copper grease). Failing that I'm just going to have to replaced the pads with some genuine Volvo ones...

adriancole
Friday 16th June 2006, 22:43
I just replaced all my pads today, took out the very very squeely ferrodo numbers and put in the police spec volvo pads and shims.......ahhhh...sooooo soooo quiet now......it looks like its the construction of the rear of the pads.....the old ferrodo (2 weeks old) have solid hard backs, the new volvo police spec have chamfered rubberised backs that is soft to touch and coupled to the shims supplied with them have brought total silencce to stopping, and what a releif,

Wobbly Dave gave me a link to convert my old pads to having soft backs, though for me it was more efficient to just replace them with pads made for the job ....

adrian

pzorb
Saturday 17th June 2006, 12:24
Er.. I didn't actually use any copper grease, I used some blue stuff you apply to the back of the pads, its supposed to stop them squeeling(yeah right). I'm going to try buying some shims tomorrow and see if that helps(with a lot of copper grease). Failing that I'm just going to have to replaced the pads with some genuine Volvo ones...
Yeah I never figured out why putting the copper grease on the back of the pads helps, I applied mine on the parts of the pads that hook into the caliper. Not a sweak.
edit: Mind you the pads did come with a rubber effect coating on their backs

monkey_boy
Tuesday 20th June 2006, 14:03
Anyone know where you can get the Anthracite laqcuer and caliper stickers?

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 20th June 2006, 15:35
Get the colour match paint and mix it with the polymer coat that comes in all the brake caliper kits.

dicky b t5
Tuesday 20th June 2006, 17:14
Anyone know where you can get the Anthracite laqcuer and caliper stickers?

Monkey Boy, I got my "R" caliper stickers from ebay ( you also get some nice Volvo ones as well !) :)

dicky b t5
Tuesday 20th June 2006, 17:19
Yippeeee !

Got a nice big heavy package today with all me new brake bits in....

Many thanks to Wayne & Oli at Marshalls :Handshake

The Volvo Discs already come with the Bells painted Black, so saves me a job.....!!lol :haha:

Fitting takes place next week.....cant wait..! :)

Engineer
Tuesday 20th June 2006, 17:27
Yippeeee !

Got a nice big heavy package today with all me new brake bits in....

Many thanks to Wayne & Oli at Marshalls :Handshake

The Volvo Discs already come with the Bells painted Black, so saves me a job.....!!lol :haha:

Fitting takes place next week.....cant wait..! :)

Nice one Dicky does that mean you will venture out of the car park at the next meet lol. :hidesbehi

dicky b t5
Tuesday 20th June 2006, 17:39
Nice one Dicky does that mean you will venture out of the car park at the next meet lol. :hidesbehi
LOL...!! It sure does Gaz....Only to keep you Quiet though..!! :cuckoo: LOL

Engineer
Tuesday 20th June 2006, 17:56
LOL...!! It sure does Gaz....Only to keep you Quiet though..!! :cuckoo: LOL

So what paint materials are you going to use and what colour are your calipers going to be mate? O yeh less of the :cuckoo: and more of the :B_steerin lol.

dicky b t5
Tuesday 20th June 2006, 18:07
So what paint materials are you going to use and what colour are your calipers going to be mate? O yeh less of the :cuckoo: and more of the :B_steerin lol.
Going to do the Calipers in Grey (got some nice Silver "R" stickers for um)

Not really sure what paint to use yet...! (any ideas!)

Someone said Dont use Halfords C/paint cos its crap..!

Engineer
Tuesday 20th June 2006, 18:23
Going to do the Calipers in Grey (got some nice Silver "R" stickers for um)

Not really sure what paint to use yet...! (any ideas!)

Someone said Dont use Halfords C/paint cos its crap..!

The caliper spray paint is a rip off and don't last IMHO, I have used Humbrol gloss black enamel on my R and its still there a year and 8000 miles later cost peanuts and still looks good, even painted the pad springs in gold Humbrol (sad) and that ain't come off either, good paint, but clean calipers etc. really well before painting. Did the S40 in silver Humbrol 3 years ago and thats still there although it does not get used as hard. :B_steerin