PDA

View Full Version : Brakes on C70 T5 GT Conv

arfur
Thursday 15th June 2006, 12:57
Hi there folks,

I've recently bought a C70 T5 GT Convertible. Bought it a year old with 3 k miles on it for 19k. It has the lowered suspension, bigger wheels, sports exhaust and the strut brace fitted. All in all a really nice ( but a bit wobbly ) car with all the extras installed ! .. ( feel sorry for the guy who sold it ... massive depreciation ... :) my gain though !

But the BRAKES ??? I have no faith in them whatsoever!! I had to pull down from 70-0 yesterday and needed so much road to stop I thought I really was not going to make it without damage. The car has already been to the Volvo garage in Reading and they commented that the brakes were as per normal ... Well, 1st off ... they wobble, 2nd I can get the pedal to the stops and 3rd .. they scare me !

Is it therefore normal for this car with have such bad brakes ? Is there anything anyone an recommend as an upgrade ???

After_Shock
Thursday 15th June 2006, 18:12
Theirs loads of upgrades, if your disks are wobbling sounds like their warped.

Biggest problem is the pads, which are useless. Upgrade to Ferrodo DS2500's are excellent for road use, standard disks are normally fine and try and get them replaced under warranty through your dealer.

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 15th June 2006, 23:52
:stupid: I have a how 2 if you want to change the pads yourself (not difficult)

st1t5
Friday 16th June 2006, 06:16
Before you go upgrading you need to establish if there is a problem 1st, if there is a problem it will still be there even if you upgrade, if the brakes are just genuinely poor and there is no fault then upgrade,

As already mentioned if they wobble when you brake then its a sign that the discs are warped, itsmore of a judder through the steering wheel than a wobble though and if thats the case then it would reduce your braking distance, but your pedal should not go to the floor though, either the front discs are worn along with the pads so i would check that yourself, easy enough to do and if thats the case then change them, if they are ok then there may be air in the brake fluid, maybe not bleed properly in the past ? .... if all these things are ok then maybe its just the way the car is, convertibles are heavier than the hard tops so thats maybethe reason its taken longer to stop, changing the pads to better brands will reduce the brake fade but id think it would'nt stop the pedal going all the way down ??

When i bought my C70 (hard top) a few weeks ago i to noticed that the pedal does nothing for the 1st half of its journey but after that its fine, it does down kind of all the way but it stops the car fine and its had new discs and pads recently, i got used to it after a few days and dont notice it now, but when i go in the girlfriends Megane and press the brake i nearly go through the windscreen ... lol

After_Shock
Friday 16th June 2006, 08:58
With the C70 cab its 12months old and has done 3k I can guarantee its been sat outside getting washed for about 6months at least theirfore the discs are knackered it happens all the time at work.

It is possible theirs a problem with the braking system but either way take it back to the dealer, tell them the discs are warped and you want new ones under warranty.

arfur
Friday 16th June 2006, 09:14
Thanks for the replies folks, I've booked the car in with another dealer ( Hadleigh , essex ) to get the discs replaced. I'll be pushing for this to be warranty, as the car is still under the 14 day guarantee if they dont fix it for free they get the car back ...

I'll be upgrading the pads asap as well and hopefully that will help on the pedal feel a bit ...

Mind you, I normally drive a Seat Leon Cupra R ... You think the brakes on your Megane are powerful !!! ... These dont fade after 2 hours solid on a track !!

I'll let you all know how I get on ... Car booked in for Tuesday

After_Shock
Friday 16th June 2006, 09:22
The cars still under Volvo warranty so theirs no problem with getting them done, look at it this way its work for the dealers service department which they get paid on so shouldnt be a problem.

st1t5
Friday 16th June 2006, 18:53
Mind you, I normally drive a Seat Leon Cupra R ...

Thats why you think the brakes on the Volvo are soft then lol

arfur
Thursday 22nd June 2006, 17:01
Well the car has been in the dealer today and they have rolling roaded it with another C70 ... They tell me that the brakes are the same on both vehicles. They also commented that the brakes are crap, but there is nothing they can do about it and I should get 3rd party upgrade. So, where can I get Ferrodo DS2500 pads from online then ??? .. Cheers folks

Wobbly Dave
Friday 23rd June 2006, 09:24
DS2500 are only available from Volvotuning. 01527 577710

arfur
Tuesday 27th June 2006, 13:40
Ordered DS2500 pads for front and rear, braided hoses and fluid ... Total cost 280£ inc vat/delivery. Now I just have to find someone to fit them !

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 27th June 2006, 13:46
Whereabouts are you? We may be able to recommend someone close to you.

Al115
Tuesday 27th June 2006, 15:01
DS2500 are only available from Volvotuning. 01527 577710

Not true - you can get them loads of places... including VT

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 27th June 2006, 15:10
I am sorry but I was led to believe that DS2500 for Volvo are not available anywhere else. Where else can you get them?

Al115
Tuesday 27th June 2006, 15:25
No problems - I think you can now get them a bunch of places including Kalmar Union, SW Autos, Motorsport World, Circuit Supplies, etc...

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 27th June 2006, 15:29
Well there you go!

Strangley listed as a track day pad by K-U (which is not strickly true). DS3000 are the out and out track pads.

After_Shock
Tuesday 27th June 2006, 18:13
Can actually get them from anyone that sells ferrodo, including local parts suppliers.

arfur
Wednesday 28th June 2006, 09:10
I would have bought them from Kalmar Uniion but they never answer the phone ... Mind you it took a number of calls before VT answered as well ! Anyhow, car is in Henley-on-Thames. VT recommended Phil Whittaker Cars in Beaconsfield for fitting. Local tyre/brake place said they'd do it for 100£ ( cash obviously ). Used them loads in the past, always reliable so it's going down there when they 'close' on saturday :)

Will let you know what the outcome is .. Hopefully I'll be peeling my face off the windscreen ...

Then it's the tyres ... got to get rid of the grotty P6000's ( no wear on them if anyone wants them.. car still only done 4k ) and change them for SportMaxx or SP9000's

arfur
Tuesday 4th July 2006, 10:45
Just an update. If you are looking for cheap upgrade to brakes on a C70, then the DS2500's front and rear, plus braided hoses and better fluid DOES work. The pedal feal is better and after about 10 80mph emergency stops on the country lanes they were still pulling up nicely even though there was smoke coming from both front and rear ... oops. You are looking at 280 plus 120 fitting and it is worth it.

Mind you ... I also tested the stopping distance in comparison with my Leon CupraR and from 80 the Cupra was still pulling up over 70 feet shorter ... Guess i've been spolit with the full on Brembos :)

dreadly
Tuesday 4th July 2006, 13:51
Then it's the tyres ... got to get rid of the grotty P6000's ( no wear on them if anyone wants them.. car still only done 4k ) and change them for SportMaxx or SP9000's

Are they 225x45x17, if so I'll have them... - I seem to have shredded a couple of mine - Now how could that have happened :)

James Brown
Wednesday 12th July 2006, 16:31
I'm seriously thinking about DS2500 pads - just 3 questions
1) Will they knacker my discs?
2) It keeps referring to them as track / fast road pads, I don't usually go that fast, I just want better brakes as the ones on at the minute are rubbish - what is the downside?
3) Wheres the best (cheapest) place to buy?

James

arfur
Thursday 13th July 2006, 13:10
James,
I was told that they were fine with the discs and should not increase the wear rate. Also, as I said further up the thread the upgrade DOES work. It's 280 from volvotuning and I had a local garage fit them for 123. Your other option is the big brake kit from Kalmar union but thats 1500-2000 with the fitting ... Probably only worth it if you do do track work ( and to be honest, better to buy a cheap elise instead of killing a volvo )

siamblue
Thursday 13th July 2006, 15:07
James,
I was told that they were fine with the discs and should not increase the wear rate. Also, as I said further up the thread the upgrade DOES work. It's 280 from volvotuning and I had a local garage fit them for 123. Your other option is the big brake kit from Kalmar union but thats 1500-2000 with the fitting ... Probably only worth it if you do do track work ( and to be honest, better to buy a cheap elise instead of killing a volvo )

I am working on a big brake kit for under £600, using Porsche 4 pot calipers, will inc new discs brackets and braided lines and sundries,

Gary,