PDA

View Full Version : Overboost protection

zanelli15
Monday 12th June 2006, 11:43
Hi guys,

Been a member for about a month or so, but never written any posts.

I am hoping that some one might be able to answer this confusing question, i brought a 1995 850 T5 back in December last year 2 owner car, full dealer history etc etc. Drove like a dream so i thought. Anyway last wednesday installed a tim boost gauage connected to the existing dashboard boost gauge pipework, took the car for a blast up the road would only get around .4-.6 of a bar pressure which seemed about right for a standard car. However i have now installed on saturday new set of samco turbo hoses, car now takes off like a rocket, holding boost pass 1 bar, which i am sure is when the overboost protection cuts in, but nothing happens. (did find some holes in the existing pipes)

Anyway took the car for a blast up the M4 yesturday afternoon and still again will hold 1bar plus at only 1/2 - 3/4 throttle and still accelarate no over boost protection. However the only thing that did happen was the car went i little fluffy at about 4800rpm, but still accerlerated.

The car did the same again this morning on the way to work so it is definatly not a spike or a one off. As far as i am aware this car is totaly stock no mods.

Hope someone can shed some light on this, although the car is very fun to drive and extremaly quick, i do wander if this doing some sort of damage to the engine if the boost is really above 1 bar, without any fueling or ignition mods.