PDA

View Full Version : cutting out and very rough idle

Tomcat
Saturday 10th June 2006, 20:42
My car started to play up today, after being stood outside for a few hours while I replaced the back brakes. I got in it to go out and it would start but not tickover, after several attempts I got a very rough idle(boucing from 500-1500 rpm). After a few more abortive attempts the engine warning light came on, at that point I gave up, I'd already tried unplugging and replugging things like the MAF, Coil pack, etc with no effect. I locked the car and left it for a few minutes while I had a think.

After 5 mins or so I came back and tried again, the damn thing started first time and idled fine!!. Being as I had to drive to my mums to collect my daughter I set off, drove there without a hitch. Coming back I got maybe a couple of miles and it started to miss and hesitate, I pulled over and the revs dropped to almost nothing and then started to bounce up and down again. I tried for about 5 minutes to get it to clear up but in the end decided to try and limp home.

Got back (just) but the damn things still playing up, does anyone have any ideas?, I need the car for work Monday otherwise I cant go in. Its played up intermitantly in the past but never this badly, used to do it just when it got wet.

dreadly
Saturday 10th June 2006, 22:27
Probably talking rubbish, but...

You don't mention checking the plugs, these might tell you if there is something wrong with one particular cylinder, sounds a lot like a coil on the way out, but my T5 has a seperate coil for each plug - Don't know about yours :(

Tomcat
Saturday 10th June 2006, 22:29
I was sort of thinking coil, I'm sure I have a spare one somewhere but I'm damned if I can find it in the garage. The plugs are all new and if the coil's playing up it would effect all the plugs...

Andy
Sunday 11th June 2006, 02:33
Deffo check plugs, leads, coil and rotor arm.

The symptoms you give tend to lean towards that problem.

dreadly
Sunday 11th June 2006, 07:58
You could also have a faulty sparky plug, especially if they are Champion, have had loads of problems with Champion plugs...

Try putting the old plugs back in for a while if you still have them.

If this model has a dizzy cap, then check it really carefully for very small arcs/cracks - I had a micro crack in a dizzy cap on an old cavalier a few years ago, and it gave just the same symptoms.