PDA

View Full Version : Tappets

T5pike
Wednesday 7th June 2006, 21:56
Does anybody know if the hydrolic tappets are a nightmare to prime after head rebuild as i cant get any compression on any cylinder.
I have checked and double checked valve timing and all is fine????? It just dont make any sense!!!

iGGy
Wednesday 7th June 2006, 22:49
Seen a few comments about putting some oil in the cylinders to get a bit of better initial compression and from then on it's a gradual smoothing out as the oil system pumps through everything.

That seems to be the fix for the 'lawnmower syndrome' these engines can suffer from.

T5pike
Friday 9th June 2006, 00:33
I even tried towing it quite some way and have plenty of oil at the topend but yet still no compression thats on any cylinder?????

dreadly
Friday 9th June 2006, 11:54
Logically it must be either an open valve, or you have a hole in the top of every piston....
I would suggest oil pressure is not the issue, as the hydraulic pressure is used to open valves, not close them, therefore it must be timing.

I would suggest removing the rocker cover and inspecting the valves again...
It certainly is a strange one.

Also have you tried another compression tester, it may not work or measure the lower compressions of turbo engines?

T5pike
Monday 12th June 2006, 22:27
Hello m8 just 2 make things worse ive now taken the head off again and had a vac test done and all is well so that say cam timing is out 2me but i have done it according to haynes but still no comp?
I have also empted all the oil out of the lifters and started again with no joy..
Do you no anybody who has the volvo microfish or cd who cud send me the data to refit cambelt??
Many thanks.

poochingaround
Wednesday 14th June 2006, 22:09
To empty the oil out of the lifters is suicidal ,you may now find that all need replacing .I suggest you seek proffessional advice before you do any damage

SaffronC70
Wednesday 14th June 2006, 22:23
He's fixed his problem, all is well.

Haynes book of lies strikes again :)

Chris

T5pike
Sunday 18th June 2006, 10:38
As chris said all is sorted now thanx to everbodys help..
As to emptying oil out of the lifters this should be no problem as when they were made they had none in untill fitted.
Just makesure you take your time when emptying as i emptyed mine twice with no probs..
The worce thing you can do is leave in oil when taken out as they will draw oil in and can cause hydrolic lockout.
This is a very commen thing with hydrolic tappets..

EDDIE