PDA

View Full Version : Quite fancy an S40....

Bakey
Wednesday 7th June 2006, 15:38
Any words of wisdom??

Its not a car i've ever really looked at before but I'm now in need of something thats cheap and a bit more reliable than the 480 (which souldnt be too hard ! ! !) I'm starting to get grief off my owld man for nicking his S70 everytime the 480 dies on me! & currently being very greatfull for living on hill ever since the starter motor threw in the towel last week :doh:

Been looking for a diesel to try and cut down the fuel bill too, 1.9 TD? Any rica possibilities on these? Anything that normally fails on them?

Cheers in advance :biggrin:

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 7th June 2006, 16:21
Decent one with under 100K miles are somewhere 3 and 3.5K. T4 has better econ in general than the T5. 1.9D are very capable but I am not sure how much more you can get out of one - check here...
www.volvotuninguk.com (http://www.volvotuninguk.com) under engine tuning.

If you can only afford the classic shape - try and get the face lifted model (post 2001) - comes with crystal headlights and a few nice styling cues.

Engineer
Wednesday 7th June 2006, 16:31
If you can only afford the classic shape - try and get the face lifted model (post 2001) - comes with crystal headlights and a few nice styling cues.

As Dave said 2001my, but these started on X plates reg. 2000 so keep an eye out. Much more refined than earlier models. Also known as Phase 11. Wider track and better handling as standard.

Bakey
Wednesday 7th June 2006, 18:51
Cheers guys! Project 480 is keeping the funds at a minimum so its looking more likely to be cira '97-'99 unfortunately.

Was it around '00 they had the facelift and done away with the black front and rear splitters in favour of deeper colour coded bumpers?

GATHY
Wednesday 7th June 2006, 18:59
HANG ON THOUGHT HE SAID DERV oh no not another tractor lover

get a t4
my 2001 t4 phase 2 did 30mpg round town and i drive like a ****
wish i hadnt sold it know im down to 22 mpg in the s60 bo hoo

t4 wise (because m not going to talk derv)
engines mental for the chassis its a right machine loved it
why did i sell it ?i dont know myself

handling wise !its a volvo and they seem to have forgot about handling even the phase 2 is rubbish.i lowered mine and put 18inch wheels on a got my local garage to spend a day with me, playing with the rear cambers etc
did finally get it to go round bends at speed but its no clio 172 or type r in the corner dept

mine did 155mph

Enigma666
Wednesday 7th June 2006, 19:29
I got myself a T4 and have to say i love it!
235Bhp RICA certainly helps with an ITG :D
Mine is a 1999 S apparently but still has the crystal lights etc (maybe it's a T4 thing)
GET ONE YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO lol

GATHY
Wednesday 7th June 2006, 20:27
i found it in the garage
oh i breaks my heart to see her again

i got it upsoluted by simon coe for £300 sheets
he said hell do my presant car for £270 because he liked the amount of crap i spoke plus my driving style on the test drive after chipping lol

plus he comes to you and does it in the kitchen so you can grill his brains

here she is
http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/vbgarage.php?do=view&id=703

Titch
Wednesday 7th June 2006, 22:45
I have a T4 as well which was also upsoluted by Simon but it wasn't in my Kitchen. It was in my living room. I absolutely love it and that is coming from someone who had a T5 previously. It is faster as im sure some of the guys who have been on the scottish meets will testify to. Only down thing is it does not sound as good as the old 5 pot. Get a T4 mate

markt4
Wednesday 7th June 2006, 22:55
t4 all day long mate...mine is a 2000 x reg t4 face lift phase 11 (seen them go for £2500)...dont go down the derv route...unless you get a s60

T5ER
Wednesday 7th June 2006, 23:16
Cheers guys! Project 480 is keeping the funds at a minimum so its looking more likely to be cira '97-'99 unfortunately.

Was it around '00 they had the facelift and done away with the black front and rear splitters in favour of deeper colour coded bumpers?

if you are looking for a 97/99 model i might know were there is a 1.8 xs in red with a T4 rear spoiler on it will have words if you want

Bakey
Thursday 8th June 2006, 10:22
LoL @ Gathy... yes prop-ooharrr tractor boy! But derv is sooooo much cheaper than optimax :saythat:

You aint seen me, right! :shifty:

The lure of a T4 is certainly very appealing but unless its a kick in the arse off a grand its never gona happen!!!

GATHY
Thursday 8th June 2006, 21:27
LoL @ Gathy... yes prop-ooharrr tractor boy! But derv is sooooo much cheaper than optimax :saythat:

You aint seen me, right! :shifty:

The lure of a T4 is certainly very appealing but unless its a kick in the arse off a grand its never gona happen!!!

optimax ? whats wrong with unleaded theres 30 million volvos out there running on the stuff.cannot see the point personally
only way id run a derv is to fill it full of cherry derv

markt4
Friday 9th June 2006, 13:04

VOLVO S40 T4 Turbo, T reg.
alloy wheels, PAS, ABS, CLA, EW, airbags, fogs, nice clean car inside and out, no MOT hence. £999DS Recovery

Telephone: 07940 909524

markt4
Friday 9th June 2006, 13:07
pic of it...looks ok

Mrsmopp
Friday 9th June 2006, 13:15
VOLVO S40 T4 Turbo, T reg.
alloy wheels, PAS, ABS, CLA, EW, airbags, fogs, nice clean car inside and out, no MOT hence. £999DS Recovery

Telephone: 07940 909524

Damn I wish I had some cash!

x