PDA

View Full Version : Rear Offside wheel Noise (amongst other things)

masres
Wednesday 7th June 2006, 10:02
My V70 awd has developed what can only be described as a tinny noise as I am driving .On removal of the wheel I discovered that what looks like a plate on the back of the drum is moving . Does anyone have any ideas how to stop this please .
Also there is a box on the drive system that hums when I am travelling , again how can I stop this before I quickly lose interest in the car!

Thanks in anticipation

T5pike
Wednesday 7th June 2006, 10:54
Hi it soundslike to me that the plate has just come loose and needs nipping back up or it has corroded then it will need replaceing.
As for the humin in the drive system that doesnt sound good its could be the trans box on its way out or the diff.
You shud av this checked by a pro sooner than later.
I rember some time ago getting a memo about the awdv70
regarding tyres shud only be changed in 4s or something as mismatch tred depths put alot of strain on the 4x4 system.Hope this is of some help good luck

T5ER
Wednesday 7th June 2006, 10:56
Hi it soundslike to me that the plate has just come loose and needs nipping back up or it has corroded then it will need replaceing.
As for the humin in the drive system that doesnt sound good its could be the trans box on its way out or the diff.
You shud av this checked by a pro sooner than later.
I rember some time ago getting a memo about the awdv70
regarding tyres shud only be changed in 4s or something as mismatch tred depths put alot of strain on the 4x4 system.Hope this is of some help good luck

You are right the early V70`s should only have all 4 tyres replaced not just 1 or 2 as it basically confuses the awd system due to the difference in tread depths and puts strain on the transfer box couplings

masres
Wednesday 7th June 2006, 16:20
I replaced all 4 tyres at the same time ( when I got it)so I suppose that rules out that .

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 7th June 2006, 16:23
Try jacking the car up and see if there is any play in the wheel bearing