PDA

View Full Version : Drilled discs..any good?

N Gauge Modeller
Wednesday 7th June 2006, 08:47
Saw this in the world's biggest car boot sale.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VOLVO-850-T5R-Drilled-Grooved-Brake-Discs-MINTEX-PADS_W0QQitemZ8067372289QQcategoryZ23013QQcmdZView Item

Anyone have any knowledge of the discs, seller, etc...
Any advantage to fitting a set to a classic V70R
Cheers
Bob

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 7th June 2006, 09:04
Strange looking disks - given there doesnt seem to be a hole for the retaining nut.

I dont personally think that the mintex pads are as good as the Ferodo DS range. I did this...

http://www.bigredvolvos.co.uk/galleries/bruntingthorpe_airfield.htm

with plain disks (302mm Zimmerman) and DS2500 pads. No problem and no fade.

Do you currently experience fade on your brakes?

dreadly
Wednesday 7th June 2006, 09:21
I will be opting for standard disks and Black Diamond pads, purely cos I bought the BD pads before learning about the ferodo DS pads.

arbee
Wednesday 7th June 2006, 09:47
I think i'd rather have biger 302mm discs than smaller 280mm drilled/grooved discs. good price tho isn't it :)

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 7th June 2006, 12:38
No point doing any of it without considering the "why"

arbee
Wednesday 7th June 2006, 12:53
No point doing any of it without considering the "why"

to be honest I have never expereinced fade in the Volvo and and think the brakes perform ok on my 'R, tho I have never driven it that hard for that long. I guess all things being equal, grooves and holes will lessen heat build up and thus fade, tho of course the contact surface itself will not
necceasrily perform the same on all discs. Of course some will upgrade the brakes purely for aesthetics

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 7th June 2006, 13:07
I had an R - 280 mm disks (Brembo) and Ferodo DS Performance pads. I have never been able to get them to fade and did on occasion drive them hard (as my flying experience should testify).

If you are driving that hard on the road that you can get fade - then heaven help the rest of the cars around you. :hidesbehi:

I have in the past come off motorways - up the sliproad at some really naughty speeds and even with plain 302mm disks on the C70 and standard pads - been able to stop with relative ease - no fade.
Even on my track day - with smoke pouring off the pads (DS2500) - still had no loss of braking power. If those on here at Bruntingthorpe will remember - I think it was the fluid that caused my only heart stopper.

Tomcat
Wednesday 7th June 2006, 17:47
I've just bought a set (front and rear) of these discs from the same guy on Ebay, however I got the 302's. Excellent service, arrived within a couple of days and look great.

arbee
Wednesday 7th June 2006, 18:04
how much were the 302s out of interest?

dreadly
Wednesday 7th June 2006, 18:13
Even on my track day - with smoke pouring off the pads (DS2500) - still had no loss of braking power. If those on here at Bruntingthorpe will remember - I think it was the fluid that caused my only heart stopper.

I think this is a very very good point, what may appear as brake fade, could actually be your brake fluid boiling, when was it last changed, try changing it for fresh Dot 5.1 :icon_soap

I have had my brakes fade at the end of the A31 in Dorset, Dual carriagway - Roundabout - Dual carriagway - Roundabout etc.... After slowing far too quickly for each roundabout they build up a lot of heat. :eye-poppi

Tomcat
Wednesday 7th June 2006, 18:44
I've just bought a set (front and rear) of these discs from the same guy on Ebay, however I got the 302's. Excellent service, arrived within a couple of days and look great.

I bought front and rears, total was £160(including shipping), I think the fronts on their own where around £98.

driftsnapper
Wednesday 7th June 2006, 20:58
This is a interesting thread, especially when im i the dillemma that im in, i think the ferodo pads in my brembos should do just fine!!!!

dreadly
Thursday 8th June 2006, 00:07
Set of 302's + conversion caliper kit = ~£90 from Marshall - NOT BAD

Tomcat
Thursday 8th June 2006, 07:34
How can a set of 302's and caliper parts be only £90 when I'm having to pay nearly double that?, or is that an each price??

dreadly
Thursday 8th June 2006, 09:39
How can a set of 302's and caliper parts be only £90 when I'm having to pay nearly double that?, or is that an each price??

Sorry, I did get that slightly wrong :sorry: Prices below....

Parts for volvo's online
--------------------------------------------------------------
Pair of Mintex front Disks £71.76
Front Disk Spring kit £4.27
Black Diamond Racing Pads £52.51
Rear Spring Kit £4.27
Pair Mintex Rear Disks £45.80
Rear Handbrake Shoes £17.47
Black Diamond Rear Pads £27.52
TOTAL = £223.60

================================================
Or cheapy stuff From :- http://www.brakeparts.co.uk/

Front Disks :- £31 each
Rear Disks :- £20 each
Front Pads :- £24 Pair
Rear Pads :- £19 Pair
Brake Shoes :-£16 Pair
Total :- £161

================================================

Front Disks - 1999 Volvo V70 T5 :- 285mm Brakes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From Marshalls

£80.19 Pair of 280mm Front Disks
£33.91 Pair of Front Pads
£21.23 Pair of Rear Pads
£55.30 Pair of Rear Disks
£10.19 - Rear handbrake Fitting Kit
£18.48 - Set of rear handbrake shoes.
Same day Postage ~£15
Total :- £234.30 For a full brake overall

You could also purchase the following and upgrade your 285mm front brakes to the bigger 302mm ones from the 'R'
--->
Set of 'R' 302mm front Disks - £92 per pair
Calliper carrier adapters - £56 per Pair
New longer front brake hoses - £31 per pair.

This means for just £98.81 extra you could upgrade to 'R' spec front brakes!!!

woz
Thursday 8th June 2006, 23:58
Fade is fade is fade, dude.

I',m saying fade is only the symptom. - Boiling fluid, cooked lining, contaminated lining, glazed discs, now thats the cause! - Fix the cause, lose the symptom.

p.s faded mine on the 855 tonight - with much trying I must confess - round the south edge of Failand / Ashton Court - downhill couple of miles hairpins braking from 80-40 repeatedly. Perhaps if the suspension was tighter I wouldnt need to brake so much.....
LOL
Woz

arbee
Friday 9th June 2006, 00:04
what is the most common form of fade and haow can it be diagnosed? i understand th boiling brake fluid thing - gas in lines - spongy feel, but am in the dark about the effects of the other causes you mention

gazjacko
Friday 9th June 2006, 18:48
Hurrying along the other evening, I started to experience 'fade' towards the end of the run (~20miles mix of A + B roads).
I just had to press harder to achieve the same stopping distances, no spongyness and the fluid is 9 months old so I'm guessing it's the pad material.
My only concern would be to change them may make the first 19 miles worse!!!
smelt hot when I got there too

LeeT5
Tuesday 13th June 2006, 00:41
what is the most common form of fade and haow can it be diagnosed? i understand th boiling brake fluid thing - gas in lines - spongy feel, but am in the dark about the effects of the other causes you mention

As woz said Fade is fade is fade. Brake fade is caused by Moisture build up in the fluid because brake fluid is 'hydroscopic' (ie it absorbs water like a sponge). So when you next stand on the brakes its the water in the brake line that boils (not the brake fluid) at 100 degrees Celcius thus releasing air into the brake lines. As we all know you cannot compress a liquid but you can compress air, therefore you pumping the pedal is simply compressing air, thus not forcing the pistons to squeeze the pads. Most importantly the fade will increase for as long as the water in the brake lines is boiling...so it will get worse the more you brake.

So change your brake fluid every 2 years MINIMUM!!:saythat:

dreadly
Tuesday 13th June 2006, 08:29
hygroscopic even!:cop:

LeeT5
Wednesday 14th June 2006, 23:29
hygroscopic even!:cop:

:saythat: Woops, thats what i meant...lol. It was late.
Cheers

N Gauge Modeller
Friday 14th July 2006, 08:37
Saw this in the world's biggest car boot sale.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VOLVO-850-T5R-Drilled-Grooved-Brake-Discs-MINTEX-PADS_W0QQitemZ8067372289QQcategoryZ23013QQcmdZView Item

Anyone have any knowledge of the discs, seller, etc...
Any advantage to fitting a set to a classic V70R
Cheers
Bob

Thanks for all the answers guys. Looks like the only advantage is cosmetic so will go very low on the list of things to do.
Cheers
Bob

TwistedSanity
Friday 14th July 2006, 08:46
ive got drilled and grooved front discs on mine with ferodo pads, they squeal a lot when i brake slowly, i cant compare them to standard as they came with the car but i have never driven anything that stops as quickly before in my life, and ive not experienced any fade in 12 months of owning the car, yes i do drive it like its stolen. I had a problem recently and replaced all the fluids as well.

Wobbly Dave
Friday 14th July 2006, 21:23
that squeal is fixable BTW

blondy
Monday 17th July 2006, 22:42
if i was looking at upgrading to 302mm discs what would i need and would they fit into my standard 16" t5 wheels?

t5tart
Monday 17th July 2006, 22:46
i think its only perfs you will have a problem with
you will need the caliper carriers and longer brake lines

blondy
Monday 17th July 2006, 23:35
forgive me for being stupid but what are perfs?

dreadly
Wednesday 19th July 2006, 19:36
forgive me for being stupid but what are perfs?

??? I dunno ? :confused:

T5ER
Wednesday 19th July 2006, 19:37
you will have peoblems with columba`s not perfs(perfo`s)

blondy
Wednesday 19th July 2006, 23:21
mine are the same as the buckshot peppered police volvo in the picture above, are they columbas? if so are they too small for 302mm discs? cheers

LeeT5
Thursday 20th July 2006, 01:36
mine are the same as the buckshot peppered police volvo in the picture above, are they columbas? if so are they too small for 302mm discs? cheers

No. They are perfo's.

Straker
Thursday 20th July 2006, 12:49
Just for the record when you brake hard there is gas build up between the pad and the disk due to the heat generated. Over time the gas oxidises and forms the glaze which has lower friction hence less stopping power. The holes in the disk allow the gas to escape hence no glazing. The groves act as a kind of "scraper" removing the glaze that has already built up.

If you look at any proper sports cars (ferrari, aston, lambo) the disk will be drilled or groved but generally not both as it's a waste of time since if you have one you don't need the other.

I would go for drilled as it makes the disks slightly lighter and the groves wear the pads out faster because you are effectively "machining" the pad surface everytime you stop.