PDA

View Full Version : painting wheels

al c
Tuesday 6th June 2006, 11:47
Hi guys,

I'm currently rebuilding/restoring my gul, a long and frustrating task given the Scottish weather and the fact I'm doing it outside on the gravel.

I'm going to get the wheels blasted and recoloured. I'm being presented with the option of powder coating or painting. Does anybody have any particular preference/knowledge/experiance of the two options, one over the other?

In an effort to find the correct colour I found the below in the knowledge forum.

"Part Number Is 9437332 The Colour Code Is 932 As Said By Tc,"

I assume that this is a volvo part number. I assume that to get the correct colour, in quantity, I would have to give my local dealer a small fortune? It is possible to get it from anybody else?

Any opinions/advice etc would be gratefully recieved.

Thanks in advance,

Alan

p.s. Sounds stupid, but I think the wheels nuts, chromed, look all wrong, I'm going to get them done at the same time. Naf or not?

arbee
Tuesday 6th June 2006, 12:24
I'm going to try to get mine done in the summer hopefully too. Yes I believe that is a Volvo part number but you should bea ble to give the paint code to a paint company (there are people who will mix it on the spot for you) so that you get a decent quantity to do the 4 wheels. I reckon your paintshop will know of people who can supply the paint! I have heard that powder coating can be a bit soft, but to be honest i dont know any other pros and cons to either. My guess would be to go for a two pac paint - Ie one with handner as it will assist resistance of the brake dust. maybe sopmeone will be more expert on the subject than me!

Matt30462
Tuesday 6th June 2006, 13:45
Both methods if correctly prepared and applied will offer a tough durable finish. They both have pro's and con's when using them for wheels. Powder coating if correct procedures are followed will provide a very even, tough coat of paint. Bear in mind though, that your wheels will be baked at up to 210 degrees C and that although colours can be matched it would be horrendously expensive to do so as powders are produced in batch quantities. Spraying on the otherhand even 2K materials will be acheivable in any colour you can dream of, just provide a code and most car paint companies will be able to produce a litre for you. The sheen level used on original Titans is the main downfall for this method, as originals are a satin sheen. Spray coatings would require a matting agent that will reduce the "hardness" of the coating, even with 2K products.
If you have faith in the person applying the finish and you expect the job to be done correctly by them, I would plump for spraying. Overall it's tough enough for everyday use, easier to match, easier to repair small faults and easier to source competant tradesmen to apply it. Keep the wheels as clean as you can, protect them from brakedust and kerbing and you will have great wheels for ages.

arbee
Tuesday 6th June 2006, 13:56
Matt you seem to be speaking from experience - have you had yours done? if so with who? I have had a very poor experience of some cowboys locally so would appreciate some localish recommendations!

T5SLAVE
Tuesday 6th June 2006, 15:00
Hi there peeps,

Unlike Matt I can offer no solid advice from an "in the trade" kinda point o view, as it would seem Matt has a very good knowledge of this subject?!

However, I am able to help by sharing with you my recent experience having had my wheels refurb'd:)

I bought my Pegs second hand and in very good order. I then phoned around a few local paint shops until eventually I ended up goin to one recommended by my Local Volvo independant, both of whom I have now been using regularly since buying my T5. The bodyshop has since turned into a good friend as I have had the T5 back there for loads of different bits n pieces, n it still aint finished...anyway I digress:sorry:

In a nutshell I sourced the paint code of '932' from right here at VPCUK (of course:wink: ) and passed this onto the bodyshop who in turn knocked up the paint and refurb'd the wheels to a great looking Anthracite finish, by way of spraying. My only concern is that they mixed it slightly on the light side (could just be my critical eye?) so be wary of that and maybe keep tabs on them before they spray the finish coat? Also, as Matt rightly said, the finish isn't the original Satin look (something to do with the differences between p/coatin n sprayin) so due to the slightly shinier finish they also look a little lighter than some may find acceptable:smirk:

Moral of my story is, overall I am well chuffed that the wheels look they way I had wanted them to, that being Anthracite Pegs. I may however get em refurb'd really, really dark, like our Carson and his T5R, as I think had I really thought about it I actually wanted em darker than the safe original looking Anthracite and the differences I have explained above just add to my confussion...my bad, open the wallet again me thinks:troutslap:cuckoo: :wink:

I have reluctantly posted a pic of one o me wheels taken the other day b4 I sent the car off to have its new zorst n front brakes fitted, I was hoping I would have the car back by now so I could take a piccy of the wheels and the new monsta brakes...ho hum...n also a shot of Carsons crackin R with the aforementioned dark rims!

By the way, I too agree about the bolts mate and have opted for some very dusky plain metal lookin bolts in favour of my current chromed (some of which are flakin anyway) items, as I think this helps take attention away from the bolts n helps them hide in the wheels...IMHumbleO? My centre caps are also being sprayed to '932' as we speak to match the wheels n again help to make the wheels look a lil cleaner n simpler...a bit like me:rotfl:

Matt30462
Tuesday 6th June 2006, 17:11
Matt you seem to be speaking from experience - have you had yours done? if so with who? I have had a very poor experience of some cowboys locally so would appreciate some localish recommendations!

Mine were done locally, however I was in the luxurious position of having just purchased 4 off Mrs Mopp. The faces of these four wheels were perfect and original finish, two were sadly kerbed. I looked at total refurb of the wheels but NOBODY could match the exact finish. So I would have to have either two pairs or all four refurbed. Eventually I found a chap who for a couple of spray guns repaired the kerbed rims and chased in the edges in as close a match as possible. I was more than satisfied and only very, very close scrutiny can identify the repaired/retouched from the perfo's.

As for recommendations, all I can say is that many have posted reference refurbing wheels.......as yet I am still to find the company that has done them to everyones satisfaction, for every "they're great" there's also a "they're s**t". I think refurbing can only be truly successful if you disregard previous colours/finishes and start from scratch. Plain silver/anthracite/gold etc, fairly shiney or high gloss. That way most companies should be able to do a good job. But alway's, alway's, alway's ensure their preparation is top notch.

The Flying Banana
Tuesday 6th June 2006, 17:39
I opted for refurbing mine and powdercoating them. The original satin finish was OK but in the end i wanted them darker but not black so it was a metallic anthracite powder coat. The shine from them was tremendous but only some would agree as originality is important to some and not others. here is a pic of them when coated. I have now went against my last choice and am having my Pegasus alloys done in satin black . Against the yellow the blackness will ( IMO ) look ace!!

T5SLAVE
Tuesday 6th June 2006, 18:33
I have now went against my last choice and am having my Pegasus alloys done in satin black . Against the yellow the blackness will ( IMO ) look ace!!

Gotta agree with u there dude those dark wheels will look the nutz...oh dear oh dear, I think I'm gonna be gettin mine refinished in the darker shade sooner rather than later:cuckoo: :worried: :cuckoo:

arbee
Tuesday 6th June 2006, 19:47
Matt cheers for the info, I have never experience an original looking refurb so i dont to be honest expect it - just a decent job would be good. With the cost and uncertainty I might even have a go myself! Mr FB - yours look ace, i really really like that finish! I think I am going to go for a paint on the basis of whats been said. Refurbed rims will always get kerbed again it seems, although that said, the tiny outer rim on the Titans does lend itself to flattening and touching in with out showing out too much should the worst happen.