PDA

View Full Version : Odd stereo problem

nobananas
Monday 5th June 2006, 21:17
One of my customers is complaining that the radio in his 97' 850 is making odd noises. When tuned to an LW or MW frequency, every time you turn on an electrical device on the car (headlights, rear screen-demister, brake lights, indicators etc) it makes a farting noise through the stereo which is quite distracting ! It doesn't do it on FM or on the tape player, any ideas guys ? He also wants a cd changer putting in the boot, the head unit has cd capability. Anyone know if the wiring is already there in the boot and what changers they use, I thought it was Alpine. Cheers

t5tart
Monday 5th June 2006, 21:47
have u tried an additional supressor

Tomcat
Monday 5th June 2006, 21:48
Sounds like he needs a surpressor fitting to cut down on the interference of the cars electrical system. Boot mounted cd changers are not pre wired but being as there's only one lead to run its not a big problem to fit one.

fraz13
Monday 5th June 2006, 21:50
Whats on MW or LW? A didnt think that was even on radios anymore....

nobananas
Monday 5th June 2006, 22:33
I thought it sounded like a suppressor problem but the strange thing is it happened suddenly ! Might try and fit an rf choke to the main power lead. May also try the head unit out of my car to eliminate a faulty unit.

neevo
Monday 5th June 2006, 22:50
Whats on MW or LW?.

Cricket commentary :)

jim
Monday 5th June 2006, 23:02
Worth checking aerial ground connection, if these become loose you increase interference signals.
________
Kawasaki ks125 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Kawasaki_KS125)

BlackBeast
Tuesday 6th June 2006, 17:59
Worth checking aerial ground connection, if these become loose you increase interference signals.

I was going to say, check all the earth points. Ive got a problem with my radio as in it doesnt work, thats all i have is static, but thats unrelated to this problem.

mulletboy2
Tuesday 6th June 2006, 21:02
It sounds like an earthing problem. A suppressor will mask the problem (possibly only temporarily), not cure it.. he should really speak to an autoelectrician to trace the problem - could be one of many things, and they'll probably be able to trace and fix the problem pretty cheaply.

Babybadger
Wednesday 7th June 2006, 10:29
Whats on MW or LW? A didnt think that was even on radios anymore....

I thought scotland listened to the football on MW/LW?

Babybadger
Wednesday 7th June 2006, 10:32
I thought it sounded like a suppressor problem but the strange thing is it happened suddenly ! Might try and fit an rf choke to the main power lead. May also try the head unit out of my car to eliminate a faulty unit.

I get the same on the Sony tape deck in my car, but only when it is on 'accessories' setting on the key. It sounds like the immobiliser (TOADAI606) is interferring every 2 seconds or so. But not when the car is running or just on 'start'.

fraz13
Wednesday 7th June 2006, 10:33
I thought scotland listened to the football on MW/LW?
A couldnt tell ye man a dont do football.....

Babybadger
Wednesday 7th June 2006, 11:06
A couldnt tell ye man a dont do football.....

Neither does the Scottish Football team......LOL

nobananas
Wednesday 14th June 2006, 20:06
Just a quick update on this thread. Had the motor in question in today, pulled out the stereo, checked all the connections, replaced it, fault apparently cured !!! wierd ! I still need to know the make of the cd changer if anyone knows ?

Babybadger
Friday 16th June 2006, 14:38
Just a quick update on this thread. Had the motor in question in today, pulled out the stereo, checked all the connections, replaced it, fault apparently cured !!! wierd ! I still need to know the make of the cd changer if anyone knows ?

I thought Volvo Cd changers were made by Alpine , and all Alpine cd changers were compatible

M44K TS
Friday 16th June 2006, 17:55
this is true, when i was looking for one, only Alpine would be compatible, in the end, i managed to find a used but in good working order oe volvo changer, cost me £61 with the p+p, a fair bit cheaper than the Alpine ones