PDA

View Full Version : abs modulator

MWT5
Monday 5th June 2006, 14:01
hi
does anyone know if the abs modulator can be repaired or can you buy a service kit for one. as i have just been told by a local garage that mine is knackered and leaking fluid everywhere. they are quoting £1300 for the unit and £1700 for them to supply and fit it.
i have also thought about a salvage part does the part vary from 850 to v70. mine is 1999 v70?

Wobbly Dave
Monday 5th June 2006, 14:02
which bit - the pump or the controller?

http://www.bigredvolvos.co.uk/images/ABS_ECU.jpg

MWT5
Monday 5th June 2006, 14:25
hi dave
haven't picked the car up yet the guy from the garage just said it was leaking from the modulator ?.
yesterday i spotted the fluid on the floor and had a look from under the car there was quite a bit of fluid over the gearbox bottom arm etc. looking from the engine bay everything looks clean.
i traced the brake line to the n/s inner wing where i presume the abs unit lives on feeling underneath it was soaking wet with fluid be strangely it did smell like brake fluid but obviously it is.

Wobbly Dave
Monday 5th June 2006, 14:35
Sounds like you have a leak from the pump (the silver square thing in pic above, with the black cylinder on it).

Do you have TRACS or STC?

MWT5
Monday 5th June 2006, 14:45
hi dave
yes silver square with black thing.
i have tracs fitted
is there anything i can do to lessen the blow of £1300.
also is fitting a new one a garage only job or can this be done diy

Wobbly Dave
Monday 5th June 2006, 14:49
I have a spare one but sadly not for that model. Best to ring Salvo - or someone else may have a spare - so put ABS pump/modulator wanted in the wanted section. Ring salvo - - you'll need the part number of the current one as they do vary.

www.salvogroup.co.uk (http://www.salvogroup.co.uk)

I imagine that it is not hard to DIY this. (3 spanner on the Haynes scale). Just need to bleed the brake system afterwards. You may as well replace the brake fluid whilst you are at it. You'll need to take the ABS controller off the bottom. E5 torx sockets.

I have full instructions on the ABS Control Unit removal - though I have never replaced a pump before.

MWT5
Monday 5th June 2006, 15:02
thanks dave
i appreciate your help
will give salvo a call and go from there.
think i will give it a go diy if i get stuck i will ring my old man retired grease monkey.
thanks again mark.

Wobbly Dave
Monday 5th June 2006, 15:07
Dont forget to ask for Forum discount

MWT5
Monday 5th June 2006, 15:16
will do

siamblue
Monday 5th June 2006, 15:57
Pm'ed,