PDA

View Full Version : Review: Volvo Freedom Test Drive

Wobbly Dave
Monday 5th June 2006, 11:07
I washed my C70 on Sunday morning, using the two-bucket method, I've recently learned on VPCUK. I have always been quite meticulous when it comes to car cleaning, especially the Volvo. I was still thinking about whether it was worth the effort seeing as I had a 50-mile journey down the motorway. I knew that I'd never keep the speed down enough to stop the insect casualties, despite my best intentions. But there again going to any Volvo meeting with a dirty car just wouldn’t do, especially as this one was at a stately home in Northants, with lots of new cars to compare with. I re-read the terms and conditions over lunch for the millionth time just to make sure it didn’t say "Anyone who has previously rolled their T5 into a field may not take out anything more than the lawnmower".

I buzzed down the A14 and arrived at Lamport Hall, an impressive, regal sandstone building with courtyards and pebbled driveway. The noise that the stones make under the tyres tells you that this isn't certainly a service station car park on the M42!
The girls in the registration area (a large wood cladded room with lots of ye oldie bloke pictures carrying swords) were singing Shakespeare Sister's "Stay". I have to say they were very friendly and the singing wasn’t too bad either. I told them which cars I wanted to drive and set off with the keys to the V70R manual – the one I had been looking forward to the most.

Wobbly Dave
Monday 5th June 2006, 11:08
I was told that I would have to be accompanied on the first drive, so one of the lads who'd guided me to a parking spot jumped in. The V70R I drove, was a light grey/blue with a dark leather interior on 18" pegs and more fly debris than I have seen in some time! It definitely looked the part – all hunkered down and looking very mean. Each car was detailed with a laminated spec sheet and the 06 model I drove came out at an impressive £42K. When I got in I found out why.
This one came fully loaded with RTI SatNav, comms pack and sunroof. I loved the dark leather and the brushed aluminium trim. They all have this fat dash thing going on which gives the front a quality feel.
On all the drives you have a choice of 2 routes – red or blue, each supposedly taking 45 minutes to drive. The V70R felt very planted almost heavy. After boring my passenger half to death with the technical details of the car – which I am sure he already knew – we set off down the road. I tested the various settings on the 4C Active Chassis and decided that Sport was the one for me. The engine in the V70R is too quiet. At full boar, coming around a sweeping left onto the A14 I could barely hear it. The car doesn’t feel that fast either though looking at the dials it was clear that the car had grunt. I used all 6 gears, which basically means you hit the same naughty speeds with more changes. After leaving Thornby, we headed back on some pretty "A" roads full of twists and turns. I loved the short shift on the space ball gearbox. Handling was excellent and the big brakes give you the confidence keep going that bit later. You can really stick it into a corner and grip levels are fantastic given the size of the beast. Unfortunately it's just not that rewarding. Somehow the lack of noise and feedback through the steering is not that satisfying. Maybe I was just driving it wrong?

Wobbly Dave
Monday 5th June 2006, 11:09
On our return, I only had time for a quick pit-stop before setting out again this time in the S60 T5. I only chose this car because Volvo made a mistake on the Freedom website - http://www.volvocarcampaigns.co.uk/freedom - which gave it an extra cylinder. I was directed towards a black one, which I have to say made the car much more of a mean look. I've never driven the 60 before. The list price of nearly £29K OTR – it came with 17" alloys, winter pack and a few other little options.
I couldn’t find the blue route, so I was able to do a direct comparison with the R. Immediately from leaving the driveway you could tell this is a T5 – a proper one too, none of the re-badged 2.5 LPT nonsense. Throttle response was immediate and as she warmed up through the drive the satisfying howl from the 5 pot got louder and the wastegate also added its own chatter to the mix. It felt so much faster than the R. The ride was spirited and lively and the steering was direct and gave little understeer. On the same sweeping left-hander on to the A14 – the car rolled a bit more but at no point ever felt uneasy. Each gear change felt satisfyingly chunky and direct. Immediately, I dismissed the max-power corsa crowed on the A14 with the sure-fire knowledge that if they were going this quick the extra glass-fibre would almost certainly fly off. The same reward was had on the way back towards Brixworth. She hit the nationals and flew. The scoobie following me was left for dead and I later met the owner (also on the test drive) back at the Hall who said it was good to hear and see the 60 go so well. I just could work out why the R couldn’t be this good.

Wobbly Dave
Monday 5th June 2006, 11:10
I found where I had gone wrong and chose the blue route to take out the new C70. I figured as the convertible it wouldn’t make any difference that it had the automatic gearbox – though I really wanted to take the manual. The C70 is a handsome car. I love the angular bonnet lines, the hunched curves down the body and the stubby nose. The ride is firm but not uncomfortable. I went almost immediately for the all windows down approach which is extremely drafty above 40 mph. The one I was given was the T5 version, but don’t think that makes a difference because it doesn’t move with any urgency and when you do finally get there - there is noticeable shake in the body with the roof down . The geartronic option is woeful (or maybe it's just me) and with a planted foot it takes nearly a second to change and many times I clicked it again only to find I was some while later in too low a gear. So I forgot about going quick and just sat back, flicked into full auto and relaxed. After some time had passed and I wafted in and out of a few villages – with just the odd knowing nod from passing motorists, I decided to put the roof up, which is such an event – I decided to put the warning lights on. I plowed up the A43 and then the A14 trying to master the geartronic to see if you could get some respectable performance and handling. The steering is fairly lifeless and lacks feel which is a bit disappointing but with practice I reckon I could get the hang of the box.
Best to drive with all the windows up and the roof down, assuming it is not raining. One would only hope that the manual version is better and on balance I'd have the 2.4 and forego the idea of going quick. I certainly wouldn't pay the thirty odd grand for the T5.

Wobbly Dave
Monday 5th June 2006, 11:10
The best laugh of the day was taking the XC90 D5 geartronic out for a cross-country jaunt with Dougie, the resident off-road instructor for the day. We took the big ol' hector onto the fields behind the Hall. First with DSTC on, in first gear – flat to the floor on the grass – with a single left turn on the steering. It was very surprising how well we were able to maintain a perfect circle. Then same again with DSTC turned off – doing huge donuts!! Fabulous! We then set off through a gate and down a grassy cliff. The XC just lapped it up. Every gradient got more scary and severe, but the car just loved it. We even went down what seemed like 60 degree drop onto the nose into a large watery puddle and got stuck. Personally I was worried that we'd have to get a tractor or Rangie to pull us out. Dougie just calmly instructed to back up a bit and give it some. So I did and the XC scrambled out of the steep exit, gleefully fling mud every each way. We finally made our way out of the fields and back to the house where I decided that it was the XC fault for making me feel like some off-road God.

Wobbly Dave
Monday 5th June 2006, 11:11
I would heartily recommend anyone wanting to test drive the new cars in the Volvo range to avoid the dealerships and book yourself a day out. I very much have these cars for an afternoon without the pressures of a salesman breathing down my neck. It certainly answered a few questions for me. I also realised, as I picked up my keys, that it would take more than two buckets to clean up this little lot.

Wobbly Dave
Monday 5th June 2006, 11:25
Please feel free to rate my thread. I will post some pictures later.

Murphy
Monday 5th June 2006, 12:00
Excellent review Dave. Good of you to go to the effort of writting :)

Shame about the R model though ?

Wobbly Dave
Monday 5th June 2006, 12:04
The V70R is undoutably a great car - and I am sure with a few tweaks it could be awesome. Glad you enjoyed the read.

T5ER
Monday 5th June 2006, 12:06
excelent review WD i know what you mean about the new C70 i had a go in 1 and to be honest was not that impressed with the T5 version

jim
Monday 5th June 2006, 12:14
Thanks Dave, sounds like a blast.
________
Kitchen Measures (http://kitchenmeasures.com/)

Waxworks
Monday 5th June 2006, 12:17
Fantastic review Dave, glad you had a good day out even if it was a little disapointing.
:redface:

Wobbly Dave
Monday 5th June 2006, 12:19
Not in the least disappointed.
S60 was fantastic - 5/5
V70R is great- 4/5
and C70 - well depends what you want really. As a coupe/cabrio cruiser - thought it was brilliant 4/5. Just dont have any expectations of high acceleration.

chriskay
Monday 5th June 2006, 16:39
Thanks for the reviews, Dave. I'm going on a Freedom day next month. I absolutely agree about the C70; I recently borrowed a T5 from my local dealer. They've got a nerve using the T5 badge on the LPT engine.

Engineer
Monday 5th June 2006, 17:20
Professionally written Dave, JC watch out there’s a new kid on the block lol. I would still give the R the nod over the S60 though. :)

dicky b t5
Monday 5th June 2006, 17:38
Nice write up Dave, sounds like you had a blast....:B_thumb:

Wobbly Dave
Monday 5th June 2006, 23:32
Here are a few shots I took. Bit busy so I only really got chance to do the 2 C70s.

Wobbly Dave
Monday 5th June 2006, 23:33
I heartily recommend you all go out and have a try - find out what you like.

Luigi
Wednesday 7th June 2006, 23:01
gr8 review dave, trouble is if i went i would for a freedom day i,d be too tempted to buy the C70. Gr8 pics btw.

T5ER
Wednesday 7th June 2006, 23:09
Here are a few shots I took. Bit busy so I only really got chance to do the 2 C70s.
the last 2 photos looks like a car i know and maybe driven

Mrsmopp
Thursday 8th June 2006, 08:18
Booked mine for 7th October!!! :Handshake :B_steerin

x

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 8th June 2006, 12:01
I think they'll have a few less cars to take home once the "Collector" has been for a visit?? LOL

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 8th June 2006, 12:02
gr8 review dave, trouble is if i went i would for a freedom day i,d be too tempted to buy the C70. Gr8 pics btw.
Just do it - if you dont then how will you ever know? You might not like it.

Gav_F
Tuesday 20th June 2006, 12:49
Good review, i have booked mine for the 9th July at Carden Park (very Posh) its only 15minutes down the road from me.

Booked a - S60 R, C60 R and another one which i cant remember, hopefully will have a blast..