PDA

View Full Version : Leaking Fluid

MWT5
Sunday 4th June 2006, 15:00
Hi
Yesterday While Out And About Someone Was Kind Enough To Tell Me My V70 T5 Was Leaking Oil . On Looking There Was Quite A Bit On The Floor Under The Gearbox (auto)after Checking The Fluids Which Seemed Ok I Drove Home (couple Of Miles).
I Jacked The Car Up To Find Bottom Of Gearbox,bottom Arm,drive Shaft And Steering Rack Covered In This Fluid.
It Is A Light Golden Colour Which Rules Out Engine Oil,gearbox Oil,power Steering Oil And It Doesn't Smell Like Brake Fluid Which Hasn't Gone Down.
Does Anyone Have An Idea What This Could Be As I Am Totally Baffled To What It Is ?

BlackBeast
Sunday 4th June 2006, 15:23
Hi

It Is A Light Golden Colour Which Rules Out Engine Oil,gearbox Oil,

Does Anyone Have An Idea What This Could Be As I Am Totally Baffled To What It Is ?

It will be one of those if its an oil. If it smells rancid then it will be box oil. If its defo not engine oil and its more vicsous then it could be inner cv grease, but thats more grease than oil.

MWT5
Sunday 4th June 2006, 15:37
Hi Blackbeast
Thanks For Your Reply Its Definatly Not Gearbox Oil It Has A Smell To It But Not A Smell I Can Reconise The Fluid Feels Like Oil But Is Very Thin A Little Thicker Than Water.
Fluid Levels On Engine, Gearbox , Power Steering And Master Cylinder Are All Fine This Is Why It Is So Confusing ?

siamblue
Sunday 4th June 2006, 15:56
sounds like Auto fluid, when i changed mine last week, it was like water, and a light brown colour,

BlackBeast
Sunday 4th June 2006, 16:02
Thats a point, auto fluid might not have the same smell as the usual manual fluid. Problem is, where is it leaking from if it is auto fluid!?!

siamblue
Sunday 4th June 2006, 16:09
Thats a point, auto fluid might not have the same smell as the usual manual fluid. Problem is, where is it leaking from if it is auto fluid!?!

i was wondering the same becuase the capacity is 7.6 ltrs and that is a lot of oil,

Gary.

MWT5
Sunday 4th June 2006, 16:09
How Do I Check The Auto Level Does The Car Need To Be Running And In Park Or Neutral. Checked The Level When Engine Not Running And Level Was Ok.

iGGy
Sunday 4th June 2006, 19:14
It needs to be checked with the engine running. Ideally after an actual run, then run through the gears slowly and leave it in Park for a couple of minutes. Check the level on the hot side of the stick. If the engines not been out for a run and has only been idling, use the cold side.

Mine is bang on the hot level max after a 'run check' and I had a look now with it stone cold and engine off. The levels show well above what it does when it's running, so I'd suggest if you're at a max level with it cold and off, you've lost a fair amount of fluid. Have a good look at the drive shaft seals, if they leak then fluid will get sprayed off the rotating drive shaft.