PDA

View Full Version : Changed Cam belt

Tomcat
Saturday 3rd June 2006, 20:53
Well being as I couldnt get my car into the local independents, I decided to do the job myself today. What a pain the the arse!, I know why they charge so much now, I also noticed that once all the timing marks where lined up(once I found them that is) that one of the cams wasn't lined up. Putting everything where it should be the cam nearest the front was at least two teeth out!, I dont know how it had been running like that but it had. I've lined them up properly now and its running ok, unfortunately I triggered the managment light when I started it up without the MAF sensor plugged in, so I'll have to wait and see what its like after the lights goes out.

I can honestly say that I'm absolutely Knackered!!!.

Decided that I'm changing the brakes nest week and then I have to work out whats causing the play in the steering, MOT time at the end of the month!!(Gulp)

Baj
Saturday 3rd June 2006, 21:05
Knock out some big bumpers and you can pay someone to do it all ;)

Tomcat
Saturday 3rd June 2006, 22:03
I'm working on it, I've been working on repairing one of the molds today and I'm going to go get some supplies tomorrow(if they're open). So all being well I will be starting up again very soon.

BlackBeast
Saturday 3rd June 2006, 22:08
Cool, i want to see the one your making serdan. Got a feeling I will want one aswell but with a few minor tweeks :)

Tomcat
Saturday 3rd June 2006, 22:26
The one I'm making for who???, do you mean the one for Peter(S60R)?, yeah that should be good once I get it done, I'm ordering the side intakes on monday for it and I should be starting to put it together soon.

T5ER
Saturday 3rd June 2006, 22:33
i have been quoted £60 today to have my cambelt changed all i have to do is supply the belt,the bloke doing it has done about 50-60 of them on various 20 valve engines inc the T5 and has even done D5`s and i know his work so got a bargain really

BlackBeast
Saturday 3rd June 2006, 22:41
Replace the tensioner as well Wayne, you might aswell for that price.

TC, was under the impression that the member from Sweden (I think its serdan?, if thats his username lol) had a x70, sorry dont mind me, just having one of those days.

DONKEYT5
Saturday 3rd June 2006, 22:43
Well being as I couldnt get my car into the local independents, I decided to do the job myself today. What a pain the the arse!, I know why they charge so much now, I also noticed that once all the timing marks where lined up(once I found them that is) that one of the cams wasn't lined up. Putting everything where it should be the cam nearest the front was at least two teeth out!, I dont know how it had been running like that but it had. I've lined them up properly now and its running ok, unfortunately I triggered the managment light when I started it up without the MAF sensor plugged in, so I'll have to wait and see what its like after the lights goes out.

I can honestly say that I'm absolutely Knackered!!!.

Decided that I'm changing the brakes nest week and then I have to work out whats causing the play in the steering, MOT time at the end of the month!!(Gulp)
dont fancy doin mine then!!!??
(joke, sorry couldnt resist)!

Glad you got there in the end.

T5ER
Saturday 3rd June 2006, 22:44
Replace the tensioner as well Wayne, you might aswell for that price.

TC, was under the impression that the member from Sweden (I think its serdan?, if thats his username lol) had a x70, sorry dont mind me, just having one of those days.

I am going to mate for what they cost spoke to our master tech about it and he said unless there is play in it then dont bother but for the extra 10 mins it takes i would rather do it

BlackBeast
Saturday 3rd June 2006, 23:14
but for the extra 10 mins it takes i would rather do it

Thats the best way, a failed tensioner can take the engine out, id rather spend the extra ££ and be safe rather than sorry.

Tomcat
Saturday 3rd June 2006, 23:38
I didn't change mine, purely because I was told by the independent that they haven't had to change one in the past three years. Having said that, you have to remove it to swap the belt anyway, price is around £40 so its one of those do or don't things really.

siamblue
Saturday 3rd June 2006, 23:59
Thats the best way, a failed tensioner can take the engine out, id rather spend the extra ££ and be safe rather than sorry.

but what about the idler as well? It can take your £30 belt to over £100 plus fitting if you include the tensioner and idler, but at least then it is peace of mind for another 80k or 110k miles depending on engines,

Gary.

Tomcat
Sunday 4th June 2006, 00:02
You can check the idler while the belt is off, if everything spins ok then its probably not a problem. I'm all for safety but I'm also not for spending money where I don't have too.