PDA

View Full Version : S60T5 geartronic - tranny fluid?

Serdar-S60T5
Friday 2nd June 2006, 09:16
Hey everyone,
I just called the Volvo service, and asked them about my transmission oil and filter, and when they are supposed to be changed - since my car is now at 52K miles... They said an S60 geartronic tranny is never to be opened and it has no filter and the tranny fluid is never to be changed. (??) Anyone have any info or any remarks about this?... Is the tranny fluid really supposed to outlast the car?
My concern is actually with tuning the car. Because i'm afraid that the tranny heat will rise too much when more power is applied there, and i was hoping to add some lubricant additives like "motorsilk" or something...
thanks & cheers

dreadly
Friday 2nd June 2006, 09:41
I couldn't advise on the S60 auto just yet, although I have one (Geartronic) I havn't had it long enough to say yes or no.

My opinion on this though (Maybe tosh) is that brake bands wear out and as they do the residue will always end up in the tranny fluid, this is what turns it from red to brown, also water will emulsify in it from a certain amount of atmospheric pressure equalisation as it heats and cools, this turns the fluid from red to pink.

Most people I have talked to regarding auto's that seem to know plenty about them say that you should change the fluid every 3 to 5 years and change the fluid filter as part of this change. This fluid change should of course be done in a proper clean garage with little dust/dirt etc...

If the S60 AW50/55 (I believe) gearbox is sealed then I would be a little scepticle of it's longevity.
The Auto and geartronic are apparantly the same box but with different software versions.

Smoke This
Friday 2nd June 2006, 20:40
I've got an S60 2.5T Geartronic, and only a couple of weeks back had a 48k service at VT in Bromsgrove and they changed the transmission fluid for mine; nothing was wrong with it so I guess it must be a regular thing. Had to use Volvo-branded fluid too as no known substitute exists.

Don't know if the Geartronic in the T5 is any different but I rather doubt that it is supposed to use the same lubrication fluid forever even if it was.

Cha!

After_Shock
Friday 2nd June 2006, 21:41
Im sure the Jag's use a similar idea where the tranny fluid never gets changed.

Serdar-S60T5
Wednesday 7th June 2006, 15:55
thanks a lot everyone :)
i'll check with other services as well, although they're a little further away from me, i think it's worth a drive.
the guy in my service also said that the tranny of an S60 T5 should never be opened especially elsewhere than authorized volvo services, because it was sure to cause serious problems from then on, once opened elsewhere. claims that they had many many customers who made the same mistake and suffered... he may be bulls**tting me though.
anyway thanks & cheers

les & reilly
Friday 25th July 2008, 20:18
all the volvo dealers say the oil or filter shouldnt be changed, however, they also say they dont carry out repairs to autoboxes, they just replace them.

there is a filter, it is called a strainer and can be bought from a volvo dealer. alot of these geartronic problems arise because the oil hasnt been changed.

you can get full instructions on dvd vidas for only £7-50p at www.autocare4u.co.uk and it explains every step. briefly, the oil pan has to be taken off, bottom hose to cooler disconnected and drained.
you will need approx 12 litres of oil, in 1 litre bottles is best for filling.

they say volvo oil is a must, i and would suggest to put genuine oil in.

many geartronic boxes pack up with low miles.

they recommend if you are towing or the car is being used as a taxi with many start and stops, the fluid is best changed with filter/strainer every 25,000 to 30,000 miles.

good luck

t5 stealth
Friday 25th July 2008, 20:48
bmw also use the sealed for life theory on various models aswell

Volvo Family
Monday 28th July 2008, 11:11
Volvo have alwasy claimed the fluid doesn't need changing. It a really neat trick because the fluid is scandalously expensive (especially if you buy it from a Volvo dealer) so having no fluid change helps reduce the first few years servicing costs (v important for the fleet market). When the gearbox has to be replaced because it's worn out (because it hasn't had a fluid change) then it's original owner (who saved the money) doesn't give a monkeys because they don't own the car any more and it's the poor old second or third owner who cops a three or four grand bill.

There's loads of views on this posted on some of the US forums.

Also you don't actually have to use Volvo fluid - it just has to meet JWS 3309 spec which is specifically designed for these Aisin Warner boxes. As they are also fitted to some Vauxhalls, Toyotas, Mazda and Lexi then you can get the fluid from those dealers. I think Toyota are reputed to be the cheapest. I think it's still not available from Mobil wholesalers here as it is in the US.

les & reilly
Monday 28th July 2008, 11:43
i used comma dextron 3 oil to change mine, couldnt afford the price volvo was asking for their genuine oil.
the important issue is getting the level right, if it isnt, this can cause alot of problems.

karls
Tuesday 29th July 2008, 13:24
Do NOT use dextron 3 on the 5 speed gearbox as it is not the right spec.

As has all ready been said it must meet the JWS 3309 spec. This gearbox is used by Vauxhall, Toyota, Mazda on some of their models, I think Toyota part owns the Aisin Warner company. I used "Toyota IV Fluid" which is about £45 for 5L and cheaper than the Volvo fluid.

If you do a Google search you will see a lot of information on why it has to meet the JWS 3309 spec.

les & reilly
Wednesday 30th July 2008, 01:37
Do NOT use dextron 3 on the 5 speed gearbox as it is not the right spec.

As has all ready been said it must meet the JWS 3309 spec. This gearbox is used by Vauxhall, Toyota, Mazda on some of their models, I think Toyota part owns the Aisin Warner company. I used "Toyota IV Fluid" which is about £45 for 5L and cheaper than the Volvo fluid.

If you do a Google search you will see a lot of information on why it has to meet the JWS 3309 spec.

thanks for the advice. but mine is the 4 speed 4t65ev-gt geartronic box. it says to meet dextron 3g spec. but as all dealers say. use genuine oil !! what put me off was the price they quoted me. £10 per litre, needing 12 litres, flushing with 2litres and filling up with the rest, after draining cooler and sump strainer/filter.