PDA

View Full Version : Interesting video. David v Goliath

Murphy
Thursday 1st June 2006, 11:54
Click me for pleasure (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Tze6Ir2jNY&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Edpccars%2Ecom%2Fcar%2Dmovi es%2F05%2D30%2D06pageLotusElisevsBugattiVeyron%2Eh tm) :D

Baj
Thursday 1st June 2006, 12:10
I think it keeps up quite well until the last straight. I assume the Bugatti was just playing with him

Murphy
Thursday 1st June 2006, 12:31
I have watched it a couple of times now.

Looking at the facts, I would say the Elise is being driven well and about as quickly as it can go. Certainly 95% of the cars potential. We know that much.

On a couple of occasions you can just hear the Buggati - giving it large out of the corners. Now Gordon Murray commented on the Buggati's real world abilities - comparing it to his own engineering masterpiece, the McLaren F1. He suggested that in the event of travelling at 50mph [I think] and you had 3/4 cars to pass - the buggati would hold 4th and be past before the turbo's begin to pick up in the Buggati. So that was aimed at the mid range performance.

So using that bit of information and taking into consideration that someone who is $1'000,000.00 lighter is likely to give a car up to about 70% of its potential on the track.

So, IMO I would say that the driver of the Buggati was driving it within his comfort zone. The Elise is one hell of a track day tool, the Buggati is still a 1.8 tonne AWD 8 litre W16 !

gingershep1
Thursday 1st June 2006, 12:41
i would say that the ellise was at the max and the veyron was frightened to death..but so would i be driving that car worth that sort of money....:B_steerin

gtiteen
Thursday 1st June 2006, 18:15
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Fdb8FdXfPU
thought it was fake at first. Thought while we were on the bugatti topic!

elliot
Thursday 1st June 2006, 18:29
I have watched it a couple of times now.

Looking at the facts, I would say the Elise is being driven well and about as quickly as it can go. Certainly 95% of the cars potential. We know that much.

On a couple of occasions you can just hear the Buggati - giving it large out of the corners. Now Gordon Murray commented on the Buggati's real world abilities - comparing it to his own engineering masterpiece, the McLaren F1. He suggested that in the event of travelling at 50mph [I think] and you had 3/4 cars to pass - the buggati would hold 4th and be past before the turbo's begin to pick up in the Buggati. So that was aimed at the mid range performance.

So using that bit of information and taking into consideration that someone who is $1'000,000.00 lighter is likely to give a car up to about 70% of its potential on the track.

So, IMO I would say that the driver of the Buggati was driving it within his comfort zone. The Elise is one hell of a track day tool, the Buggati is still a 1.8 tonne AWD 8 litre W16 !

I think mister Murry was reffering to lag rather than a lack of midrange 4th at 50mph is very much low end!Why would you be in 4th at 50mph trying to overtake cars,unless you could'nt drive,give it 1st then see what the midrange is like!!I think the driver was just taking it very easy and playing with the elise,as they Veyron has been refered to as an elise with 1000bhp.

Murphy
Thursday 1st June 2006, 18:31
I was saying the F1 could overtake quicker in 4th than the Bugatti could in ANY gear. But i will double check for exact quotes.

arbee
Thursday 1st June 2006, 19:55
power aint so big a deal through the twisties is it! tho the way it pulls away on a longer straight is phenomenal!