PDA

View Full Version : C70 t5 (latest model) underpowered??

DONKEYT5
Tuesday 30th May 2006, 23:38
After recieving my brochures from volvo earlier today i was very disappointed to see that the c70 hard top convertible was only 220bhp as a t5??? how come? i would of thought volvo may have put more ponies in there to compensate for the extra weight?!
thoughts???

After_Shock
Wednesday 31st May 2006, 00:12
Volvo is avoiding the HPT engine in the newer smaller chassis cars due to the torque steer issues and also the C02 emissions.

The new car is by no means slow but doesnt feel quick like the old C70, theirs no kick in the back but the new one is ultra smooth and the power comes in earlier but theirs no sudden urge higher up.

The cars are by no means slow and in everday traffic just as quick as the old T5 but in open spaces will be slower.

By the way the new T5 engine is basically a 2.5T engine.

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 31st May 2006, 00:33
Indeed - I am going on a Freedom Test Drive this Sunday - I will report back. Essentially this is the rebranded T5 engine that is also found in the S40 II and V50 and the Focus ST.

Can be tweaked to give 260bhp according to Adam.

After_Shock
Wednesday 31st May 2006, 19:27
Would be interesting to see what a 260bhp version would be like, 220 is quick enough but definately aimed at being smooth over out right speed.

The T5 unit in the S40 & focus is as mentioned basically a 2.5T engine from any of the other ranges re badged as a T5 (but a fake one!)

T5ER
Wednesday 31st May 2006, 21:12
took a new C70 T5 out for a good 10 mile run on some nice straight roads and some twisty bits,fair enough it was a gear tronic version but to be honest no matter how i drove it was :pants: the 96 850 2.5 20vi drove there and back seem to go better and that was a auto,to be honest it is not overly quick and is a lot more refined than previous T5`s

arbee
Wednesday 31st May 2006, 22:17
I really like the top up styling of the C70, i just feel it looks a bit rear biased with it down. It needs a bit more poke IMO to make it a worthy rival for the German competitors, regardless of whether it can actually take the power!

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 1st June 2006, 08:35
There is one that goes home the same way as I do - drop dead gorgeous!

jim
Thursday 1st June 2006, 08:55
wasn't there talk a while ago of a larger non turbo engine coming out for the new ranges. Can't remember exactly but thought it was lightweight v8 3.6 litres giving 280-300 hp with so say super smooth delivery and doing away with a lot of the torque steer issues.
________
Lost Dicussion (http://www.tv-gossip.com/lost/)

After_Shock
Friday 2nd June 2006, 17:19
Theirs the ultra compact 4.4 V8 which is around 315bhp but even as compact as it is will struggle to fit in the engine bay of an S40 although im sure its do able.

Theirs also the very compact new 3.2 straight 6 but thats 235bhp in normally aspirated form, rumour has it thats going to be the next R engine and probably replace the T5 when the turbo'd versions of it get released.