PDA

View Full Version : idle air control valve cleaning

blackbooty
Tuesday 30th May 2006, 13:55
after enduring a rough idle for ages i discoverd some posts from nobannanas and racer describing and offering a remedy to the problem.

to start with i just replaced the IAC valve from a doner vehicle, which helped but didnt eliminate the problem.

i then followed the instructions on how to clean the valve, and im happy to say that for three days now, i have had a rock solid idle from cold and no
"hunting" for revs.

cheers guys.

i took photos of all bits and locations ect, so if anyone is experiencing a rough idle or dropping and hunting for revs on deceleration on a 850 (not sure if same valve is used on V/S 70) and isnt sure how to do the job, just post, and ill do a "how to".

id have just done one anyway if i wasnt so computer stupid !!!

Babybadger
Tuesday 30th May 2006, 15:01
after enduring a rough idle for ages i discoverd some posts from nobannanas and racer describing and offering a remedy to the problem.

to start with i just replaced the IAC valve from a doner vehicle, which helped but didnt eliminate the problem.

i then followed the instructions on how to clean the valve, and im happy to say that for three days now, i have had a rock solid idle from cold and no
"hunting" for revs.

cheers guys.

i took photos of all bits and locations ect, so if anyone is experiencing a rough idle or dropping and hunting for revs on deceleration on a 850 (not sure if same valve is used on V/S 70) and isnt sure how to do the job, just post, and ill do a "how to".

id have just done one anyway if i wasnt so computer stupid !!!

Did your revs shoot up to 2k when starting from cold and then slowly go back to tickover before this happened?

Al115
Tuesday 30th May 2006, 16:01
Yeah, this'd be useful for me - think I have the same problem :)

blackbooty
Tuesday 30th May 2006, 18:02
Did your revs shoot up to 2k when starting from cold and then slowly go back to tickover before this happened?

no mate but it is rising to about 1600-1700 rpm when first firing (from cold) now, and taking around 1-2 seconds to settle back to 850 ish. when hot it rises to 1500-1600 and settles back to 850 almost immediately.

i presumed this was normal cos i havnt driven a smooth running T5 in about six weeks and couldnt remember if my doner did this also.

i also have another prob which is a pulsing whilst driving at gental throttle,
itll feel like shes racing for a couple of seconds and then hold back for a couple of seconds,rising by a couple of hundred rpm, then dropping 200 rpm ect.

this has always been there since i bought the car a year ago and ive read a few threads of other people experiencing the same prob.
im having my fault codes read in a few days, so if your one of the members that is also having the pulsing revs prob, ill post details when i get to the bottom of it.

my symptoms of the bad idle were when cold, it would fire straight away but would struggle badly, needing me to increase the revs to prevent stalling for 20-30 seconds, then on moving off she would hesitate and hold back, when approaching a junction and on the brakes the engine would try to die and then hunt for revs. ie, drop to 400-500 then bounce up to 1800-2000, back down low, back up high ect ect.

these probs basically dissapeared when warm, and after seeing the gunk and oil that came out of the valve, i can understand why.
seems like the rotating innards of the valve couldnt spin/open/close when cold cos of the oil/film hindering its movement, when hot it freed it up so it could spin/open/close .

Alastair, ill do it for you a bit later mate.

wayne

Al115
Tuesday 30th May 2006, 18:36
Coooool, thanks :)

nobananas
Tuesday 30th May 2006, 20:43
My god, I've been some use ! (for a change !)

blackbooty
Tuesday 30th May 2006, 22:19
My god, I've been some use ! (for a change !)

sure did help my sleepless nights bud.

Alastair mate , i just cant do it.
ive just spent an hour+ trying to do a "how to" and i pressed the green arrow back by mistake, and when i pressed green arrow forward, it was all gone.

i effin HATE computers !!!!! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

if it was my computer it would now be dancing with my 3foot breaker bar.

ok mate, under your throttle body plastic housing (as your standing with knees on bumper, middle right of engine, theres a plastic cover with one torx bolt in the middle), remove this cover.

under this is all the throttle cable ect.

under all that is a silver cannister with two rubber hoses (30 mm approx) attached to it, it is held in place by a large rubber bracket and the cannister has an electrical cable at one end.

undo the cable and the two jubilee/fixing clips holding the hoses on, and slip it out of the rubber bracket.

youve now got a 4" x 1 n half" cylinder in your hand.

the guys suggested carb cleaner but i couldnt buy any so i used an industrial de-greaser (same gear i suppose), it evaporates so you dont have to wash it out afterwards.

as NB or racer said, put your thumb over the smallest hole and spray/pour the cleaner in, taking your time cos the valve is blocked remember, till you have a good amount inside. then block other hole aswell and give it a good shake around (what i used caused a pressure so carefull of your eyes).

drain the liquid out (takes a while first couple of times cos valve is blocked),
i drained over clean cloths to see what was coming out.

repeat as nessasarry(spelling) untill what comes out isnt contaminated.

as a guide.... when i removed the valve to clean it, nothing moved or rattled inside, after 5 cleans, the rotational openy closey bit that you can see thru the two holes was free to open/close when the cylinder was twisted in my fingers.

leave it for half hour after last rinse with cleaner for it to evaporate, or blow it out with comp air as i did.

took 30-45 mins from removal to back on.

if you can understand my vodka and orange instructions Alastair.....
mensas waiting...( they are accurate, dont worry)

giz a bell if you have any queeries mate and ill call you back and talk you thru it.

wayne. 07920522302.

adriancole
Wednesday 31st May 2006, 00:21
Yes I have the pulsating sensation at low throtle openings...., sure thats meant to be the other way round...

ANyway, mine does it from about 2000 to about 3000rpm on very light pressure on the accelerator...mine is an auto btw.

Also does it on constant speeds in those rev ranges...this pulsating surging feeling....

Mine in garage at mo to invesstigate, though i suspect and sort of hope its the etm, as the garage is paying.....will know more when pick car up. The ETS light has just come on too....so all things point to mine being the etm.

If it still has it once they have replaced th etm, i look forward to what you get and report.

Adrian

blackbooty
Wednesday 31st May 2006, 13:13
mines a 854 96 auto with good old cable throttle.

could you let me know what your prob turns out to be please Adrian.

sounds identical to mine but weve got diff throttle systems.
if its not your etm, ill let you know what it is on mine as soon as i get to the bottom of it.

wayne.

TwistedSanity
Wednesday 31st May 2006, 13:52
Sweet(grabs hammer and screwdriver from shed and rushes to car) been pi**ing me off for a while now

Al115
Wednesday 31st May 2006, 15:05
Thanks BB... your hands must be sore from all the typing LOL :)

I'll give it a go - appreciated.