PDA

View Full Version : Child Safety in the car - Know the law

Murphy
Tuesday 30th May 2006, 12:04
It has been brought to my attention that the law regarding child seats is changing. I thought I would flag this up, as some of you have children.

http://www.childcarseats.org.uk/law/index.htm

Basically this is the gist:

Rear facing seat for 0-9 months approx.
http://www.childcarseats.org.uk/images/graphics/CCS-4_230.gif

Forward facing seat for 9 month to 4 years.
http://www.childcarseats.org.uk/images/graphics/CCS-6_250.gif

A booster seat from 4 to 6 years old
http://www.childcarseats.org.uk/images/graphics/CCS-7_230.gif

A booster cushion from 6 to 11 years old.
http://www.childcarseats.org.uk/images/graphics/CCS-8_270.gif

Just to reiterate this is now the LAW and not advice, or recommendations. You will be fined if you don't have the correct seating.

Norbert44
Tuesday 30th May 2006, 12:25
I think this should be expanded and made into a sticky. If this could include the makes that fit into the various Volvo models then it would be truly helpful.

EG:

Volvo V70 (97) - Graco - Autobaby

Volvo S/V40 (97) - Mamas and Papas - Freestyler

Andy
Tuesday 30th May 2006, 12:35
Don't forget its not law until september so don't all go rushing to buy car seats.

jeleebaby
Tuesday 30th May 2006, 12:57
www.britax.co.uk is a good site, enter car details and it will tell you which seats are suitable for the car. we had trouble getting seats to fit our V70.

aeroresh
Tuesday 30th May 2006, 12:57
Its a good idea in principal but it has its faults.

For instance the back seats of my Aston are so tiny, my kids (6 and 3) just fit in. The 6 year old needs no booster seat at all and the 3 year old just has a booster cushion (normally the previal of 6-11 year olds). Seat belts are properly secured and sit at the right height too.

Does this law mean that they will not allowed to go in the car from October?

Although not a problem for any Volvos I believe this will be an issue for most 2 door GT type cars.:confused:

Murphy
Tuesday 30th May 2006, 13:23
I agree aero. It is flawed lots and lots. I will struggle to fit three large seats side by side in a Audi A6 - so for those who use the 3rd row in most 7 seaters, it may not be possible.

I guess it is all safety related though - perhaps too many <11's are dying in RTA's which may have been prevented by using a seat ?

dreadly
Tuesday 30th May 2006, 13:27
Some volvo's have those built in car seats in the centre rear armrest, can these be retrofitted to cars without them???

Andrew
Friday 14th July 2006, 17:01
Would be good if the information within this thread can be put in the FAQ section ?

roller girl
Sunday 16th July 2006, 04:48
The change in legislation is not because children have been dying because of adult seat belts. Its because they have been suffering severe pelvic injuries because of the position of the lower strip of the adult seat belt.

In a crash this portion of the belt has been found to crush the top section of the pelvis, hence the need for a 'booster seat' to raise a child higher so the belt rests against a stronger section of the pelvic bone.

It may have its faults as far as car interior design goes but they will develop alternatives I am sure..............

And no it is not law until 1st September, but having seen first hand what damage can be done to an improperly restrained child, I would suggest those of you that don't have suitable child restraints do rush out and buy them!!

Right off my soap box now.....................

Babybadger
Sunday 16th July 2006, 09:52
I have 2 britax seats in mine and use the booster seat in the armrest for my 4 year old. My only concern about the integrated booster seat is the fact that the seat belt can cut into my daughters neck if she falls asleep. But you can buy seat belt cushions/pads.

Most child seats will fit the s70/v70/850 series. You can get seat protectors that stop dents in your seats as well. Most people don`t even fit the seats properly in the first place. You are supposed to fit the seat and restrain the seat with the seat belt. Then kneel on the seat and take up the slack of the seat belt. When you release your weight the seat will tighten into the belt.

Most Local authorities have a road safety division that will assist in the fitting of a new car seat.

Some cars now have the ISOFIX/tether system which is far safer and superior to normal systems in crash tests. I think the 850 series onwards with the SIPS system is way more advanced for prevention of pelvic injuries than most cars, look at the design of the sills!

And how many times have you been behind some chav ars***le who is more interested in 2 grand alloys on his astra and still has his kid running around loose on the back seat? I think anyone who makes half an effort to restrain their kids is doing the right thing!

MidLifeCrisis
Monday 17th July 2006, 14:55
It takes intelligents to act safely... something that a person who spends over two grand on alloy wheels and rubber band tyres then fits this combination to a old Astra or similar doesn't seem to have.

I'm amazed at the numbers of children I've seen lately whom travel unrestained in cars. These parents just don't seem to understand the risks!

But I'm sure they'll be the first too complain when the social doesn't provide little Johnny with the right wheelchair!