PDA

View Full Version : Oil and plugs ?

st1t5
Sunday 28th May 2006, 22:09
Hi

My C70 T5 is going in to an independant for its service on Tuesday but im gonna buy the oil and plugs myself then just give them to the garage ..

What plugs and oil should i be buying ? are the NGK's ok for our cars and does anybody have the part number ?

The previous owner was putting in 5w/30 fully synthetic oil, is this ok to use as iv read through some threads and im getting mixed reactions about 5w/30 ???

Phuturephantasy
Sunday 28th May 2006, 23:00
I use NGK plugs - Part Number BKR7EVX - Platinum tipped plugs.

For oil I would say any well known Fully Synthetic 10w40 or 5w40 should be fine, I believe regular changes are more important than the actual brand - I have used a couple of different brands to date.

BlackBeast
Sunday 28th May 2006, 23:12
I use NGK plugs - Part Number BKR7EVX - Platinum tipped plugs.

For oil I would say any well known Fully Synthetic 10w40 or 5w40 should be fine, I believe regular changes are more important than the actual brand - I have used a couple of different brands to date.

Spot on with both plugs and oil. What do you deem as being regular changes though?

Im using Silkolene Pro S 5w40 and im soon coming up to my change at 7k interval.

the_boy
Monday 29th May 2006, 00:26
NGKs here as well, although I think mine were the Iridiums.

Last service was @ VT and they recommend Shell Ultra Helix 5w40 but it's more expensive than gold.

5w40 fully synthetic seems to be popular.

If it's been modified I think you should be servicing it twice a year or approx every 5000 miles. IMO of course :)

st1t5
Monday 29th May 2006, 07:52
Thanks lads ..

It was the Shell stuff that that previous owner was putting in so i might just stick with that ...

Forgot to ask, how much oil do these take when doing an oil and filter change ???

Phuturephantasy
Monday 29th May 2006, 10:00
I believe it's 5.3 - I put 5 litre straight in and then add slowly up to the right level.

Change my oil every 7k miles.

If you drain the Turbo oilcooler you need about another litre - I think !

oilman
Monday 5th June 2006, 15:20
I would have said that 5w-40 would be the most suited grade

Cheers
Simon

Titch
Monday 5th June 2006, 16:00
Its Shell Helix 5w 40 and NGK plugs i always use

dreadly
Monday 5th June 2006, 16:04
I havn't done mine yet, but as soon as some kind person replies to my thread in the 'S' series section telling me 'HOW' to change the oil, I wil use Mobil 1 0-40W

siamblue
Monday 5th June 2006, 17:00
I havn't done mine yet, but as soon as some kind person replies to my thread in the 'S' series section telling me 'HOW' to change the oil, I wil use Mobil 1 0-40W

Please don't use 0-40W ours engines seems to burn it off, and the engine will be noisy as hell,

Gary,

st1t5
Tuesday 6th June 2006, 01:58
Had the service done .... but i decided to change the oil to 10/40 semi synthetic, the 5/40 fully synthetic is just evapourating too quickly, the service manager at Volvo says that this was normal for this to happen but if i was not happy about it then it was ok to switch to 10/40 semi .. and now its not used a single drop ... :) ... thats the 1st time iv used fully only cause thats what the previuos owner was putting in it and i was not impressed with it tbh ...

oilman
Thursday 8th June 2006, 12:37
Evaporation is measured by a test called Noack.

The oil is heated to 250degC and the % of evaporation is measured. The best oils in these tests (ie they have the lowest evaporation figures) are proper manmade synthetics pao/ester based.

Hydrocracked or modified mineral synthetic fare badly as do semi's which are also mineral based.

Cheers
Simon

the_boy
Thursday 8th June 2006, 18:13
Simon,

You don't post as oilman on the NPOC do you?

There seem to be a hell of a lot of oilmans about :D

Rufe
Friday 9th June 2006, 19:22
yes i've seen some good and very detailed posts by oilman on VVOC too (vectra site), i thought it must be the same fella :)