PDA

View Full Version : V40 T4

Benji
Sunday 28th May 2006, 21:36
Been toying with the idea of getting an 850 T5 but stumbled across the V/S40 T4 apart from the differance in power and gain in 0-60 what you think would be the better choice

Benji
Sunday 28th May 2006, 21:37
for a new volvo turbo owner that is

fraz13
Sunday 28th May 2006, 21:58
Depends on your needs mate, If you need a big car for lugging things around go for the 850/V70, If you just need a medium size go for the V40

Murphy
Sunday 28th May 2006, 22:02
Comprehensive response Fraz. Ever thought of reviewing cars for a living? :D

Titch
Sunday 28th May 2006, 23:09
Alright mate,

I have had both an 850 T5 and i now currently own an S40 T4. I loved the noise and the size of the T5 but not the fuel bills. The T4 although not as big is just as comfy to drive and goes easier on the old motion lotion.

With regards to 0-60 times, yes the T4 is slightly slower but it is just as fast mid range if not very slighty quicker which is beneficial in day to day driving.

If you get the ECU re-mapped then the torque gains make it even better which can also be said for the T5.

As Fraz said it totally depends on what you need the car for and what your preference is.

GATHY
Monday 29th May 2006, 14:56
owned both t4 and t5 and in my opinion and that of my co-pilots the t4 is quicker and scary if you can get the power down,which is the problem with t4s,engines way to powerful for the chassis as for t5 its more traction so it depends on what your after from it if you want a quick car in all conditions go for a t5 if you want to live life on the edge in poor weather get a t4

as for fuel i averaged 29 to 30 round town in the t4 as my t5 does 20 to 21 round town but i do drive like a **** so more is probably available to the normal driver

BlackBeast
Monday 29th May 2006, 15:20
If you want to meet up somewhere i can take you for a spin in my V70 T5 if you want, very similar to the 850 but has a nice interior :) Im in Llanelli by the way.

macV70R
Monday 29th May 2006, 16:36
I agree, our t4 saloon is scary fast but the car does have trouble gettin the power down. It has excellent pick up and is a really nice motor, but I have said it before....the build quality doesnt match the t5s, and the safety feeling isnt as good.
But overall its a cracking car, and in my opinion its much easier to drive than my R (especially turning!!)
Thats why the wife drives it;)

Mac.

Benji
Monday 29th May 2006, 20:04
Hummm cheers for the advice, might very well take you up on that black beast, like both T4 and T5, my dad had a 2.0 S40 which was really comfy and pulled well. Just trying to open my options out incase i dont find the right T5, insurance aint a problem as i have had an awesome quote from a local broker for a T5 CD just wanted to find out what they were both like from an enthusiasts view of them

BlackBeast
Monday 29th May 2006, 21:16
Im available any time this week, let me know via pm.

Enigma666
Tuesday 30th May 2006, 14:04
And if you're ever up my way I have a T4 with a RICA i could take you out in.
I totally agree with allt he comments above, getting the power down can be a nightmare (especially in the wet) but you do kind of get used to it and i have to say witht he RICA the power is much more even and seems easier to drive rather than the raw power you get pre-RICA.

Overall though a cracking car and great fun especially when pacing an old porsche along the A56 with a full load of camping equipment int he boot and back...got a satisfactory nod of the head from the driver as we stopped at a roundabout :biggrin:

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 30th May 2006, 14:44
I personally feel that there is more scope for tuning with the 5 pot, but that is balanced by the fact that the T5 is a heavier car. V40 is not a proper estate - more of a SUV. That is something worth bearing in mind. T4 will do better mpg.
Madness (one of our members) has got really good power from the S40 T4 with d/p nitrous.

Some general tips on buying a t4/5.
Younger Volvo's will generally be less hassle to maintain.
Avoid ex-plod as a first timer. Too many pitfalls.

You should come to the BBQ in a couple of weeks (see meetups) and have a chat. Hopefully some of the welsh crew will be heading up the 5. You can have a look around a few examples and see what can be achieved. Plus there will be some great food and good company.