PDA

View Full Version : Mouldy Smell

adriancole
Saturday 27th May 2006, 22:44
Ok, slightly odd problem here....
All windows closed on my 1999 V70, no smell in the interior, car just smell like a car......

Now, when i open the drivers window a bit can smell mould, like a wet carpet that has stayed wet then dried off a bit adn gone mouldy...shut window....no smell....open window ...smell.

Now i have sniffed all the carpets and bottom of doors, not a whiff......very odd, def something to do with the car, just cant place it yet.....

Anyone know of where a V70 leaks or has had similar??

Is the open window drawing air from somewhere in the car that is mouldy ?

Adrian

neevo
Saturday 27th May 2006, 22:51
I would suspect that opening the window is allowing freer passage of air through the vents and the mould smell is from the ductwork. Does the smell come if you keep the window closed and use the fan?

adriancole
Saturday 27th May 2006, 23:09
No, thats the odd one, no smell if fan running, air con either on or off!!

Matt30462
Saturday 27th May 2006, 23:46
Get your aircon checked out, I believe a nasty mouldy smell is an early sign of evaporator problems. That is the case with the 850's anyway. I started getting the smell....sure enough, evap failure. Of course there may be other explanations but for the cost of some infrared dye, might as well check it.

By the way, any other symptoms? Aircon compressor clicking?

adriancole
Sunday 28th May 2006, 07:20
Right, just been out to check this morning, I think your on to something there Matt......just checked the aircon properly, makes no diff to the temp whether on or off....think its not working at all now...odd as it was earlier in week..........looks like another trip back to the garage from where i bought said motor........

One consolation, at least all these expensive things are being sorted under a guarantee....

first new brakes all round, then camshaft variable timing valve, then ETM failing....now looks like the aircon......will sure have a peachy motor when finished....

adrian

Matt30462
Sunday 28th May 2006, 10:06
Well I certainly hope that's the case . Nice expensive work done under warranty.Lubbly Jubbly.
My evap went shortly after the purchase of Olive. sadly the warranty I had was a piece of the preverbial,and nothing usefull was covered....sounds like yours is better.

adriancole
Sunday 28th May 2006, 10:42
Yes, guaranteee is good, though did hop up and down a bit when i first returned car looking like i was angry.....in reality really just want the work done so i can get on an enjoy what promises to be a great motor,

Car going back on tuesday so have rest of probs iron out before i do my own stage 0 tune up, then to do a full polish and wheel restore.

Wheel restore having done by a firm called WickedWheels based in Guildford. Think is a franchise, so they are everywhere, though the guildford one in Surrey did an amazing job on my fathers knackered old Merc alloys. Came back after three days looking absolutley amazing...really puts his old panzerwagon to shame now..

Adrian

Matt30462
Sunday 28th May 2006, 11:48
It certainly sounds like a possibility that the evaporator may have gone. It could be a small leak that holds up for a while after regassing (as with mine) but ultimately the gas leaks away. Mine appeared perfect to start with then I started noticing a clicking from the compressor when she was at idle. After the problem was identified I actually noticed the musty smell that is indicative of the problem. Time consuming and very expensive problem on the 850, I can only assume it's the same on a V70. Entire dashboard and all components associated have to come out. Cecil and Larter did a very good job on Olive, only slight fault was they failed to connect a vacuum hose on the cruise, this was soon remedied.

As for the wheels, I have heard good and bad reports with every refurber known to man. Wicked Wheels are indeed franchised so their work will vary right across the country. It sounds like they did a good job on your dad's wheels, so you can rely on past experience.

Rufe
Sunday 28th May 2006, 21:16
you can buy air con deodoursier. very easy to use and very effective.

the smell is simply caused by the build up of bacteria in the air con system. the aerosol cleans it out, and leaves a nice fragrance in there instead. have used it myself to a great effect. turn on air con to full power and turn on re-circ, get out leaving all windows and doors closed, press aerosol can open and place on passenger seat pointing towards dashboard. return after 15 minutes and switch off. wipe off white residue that is there, and job done. (white residue left is simply the propelant in the aerosol, but is totally safe to interiors, and just wipes off easily)

the RRP of the forte version i have seen is about £25 (or at least it was), but as said above is easy to DIY. got to be worth trying if you can find some.

volvo also make their own deodoursier too, but this is a dealer job.

craig
Sunday 28th May 2006, 22:14
i can smell a terrible mouldy smell everytime i overtake cars at warp 2 with my brother sitting next to me, when i do it on my own i smell nothing ?
any ideas?

Baj
Sunday 28th May 2006, 22:24
Any tell tale stains on the upholstery?

Adge
Sunday 28th May 2006, 22:34
More to the point-what cleaner is recommended to remove said stains?

adriancole
Monday 29th May 2006, 06:15
Cheers for the info guys, am suitably armed now for the return of the car to the garage on tuesday....

adrian

Babybadger
Tuesday 30th May 2006, 11:17
i can smell a terrible mouldy smell everytime i overtake cars at warp 2 with my brother sitting next to me, when i do it on my own i smell nothing ?
any ideas?

Is he a nervous passenger lol!

Vikingxl
Tuesday 30th May 2006, 16:25
Have you sniffed your armpits?
Only joking!