PDA

View Full Version : Key Barrell

welshboy
Saturday 27th May 2006, 21:21
Hi.

I wonder if someone can help.

It only just started happening today. when i put the key in the ignition, the barrell turns round and round. So cant start the car. I can finally get it to catch but i think it will catch me out soon.

Do i need a complete barrell, or just the centre bit where the key goes in. Would i also need to re-programme the barrell.

Anyone else had this trouble.

Thanks

Tony

Tomcat
Saturday 27th May 2006, 21:24
you don't say what car it is, although from the sound of it its just the barrel itself that needs changing(the bit you put the key in). you shouldnt need it re chipping as the bit that checks the key isnt in the barrel itself.

adriancole
Saturday 27th May 2006, 21:27
Ah, mine too, asked at the dealer last weekend, just need a new barrel, can only order at Volvo and takes three days as they need to get a blank barrel and cut it to your key.

Cost £162 and that is just the barrel, fitting extra.......

no need to reprogramme keys etc...

forgot, mine a V70 1999 if that helps....

adrian

welshboy
Saturday 27th May 2006, 21:31
Thanks guys.

Sorry. My car is a C70 T5.

That's ALOT of money. Haven't got much choice than the get one though. Is it a easy job. Can anyone do it, or is it a garage job.

thanks

adriancole
Saturday 27th May 2006, 22:26
Now that i didnt ask as i was a feeling that i would rather keep the £162 off my credit card at the moment, though judging by your post i better get it done soon, mine curently is just very diff to get key out and spins only one way......

Adrian

Baj
Saturday 27th May 2006, 23:18
Presumably (and I am presuming with NO knowledge whatsoever) there is something which stops the barrel spinning which has broken or fallen out.
Taking the ignition barrel out or removing some cowling may show why it is slipping and you might be able to fix it with a nail, screw, tack weld, roll of bodge-tape etc.

Tomcat
Saturday 27th May 2006, 23:34
Fix it with a "NAIL"??,,ROTFLMAO!!!!, thats a bit cheapo even for me lol

welshboy
Sunday 28th May 2006, 17:45
Thanks guys.

£160 is alot. I suppose it's worth taking it out to have alot. If you need a new one anyway. Theres no harm. It's worth a try.

tony

T5ER
Sunday 28th May 2006, 17:49
garage job as it has a shear bolt which needs drilling and the re-doing with the new ignition barrel

Baj
Sunday 28th May 2006, 21:29
Fix it with a "NAIL"??,,ROTFLMAO!!!!, thats a bit cheapo even for me lol

Well, I meant some metal pin but I am sure a nail could do the job if that is what was needed.