PDA

View Full Version : ABS & Speedo

Russell
Saturday 27th May 2006, 17:42
I have been having a problem with an intermitant ABS warning light coming on, then going off or just staying on for the duration of the journey.

I started driving the other day to find the speedo had stopped working, I stopped the car, turned it off and then back on again & hey presto the speedo was working again & the abs light had gone out.

This has started happening more and more, when the speedo is working I noticed that on the motorway whilst driving along at 70mph (honest officer :)) it started jumping between 70 & 90mph even thought my speed was constant.

A few miles further on it stopped jumping about and recorded 70 again.

Any ideas? I don't know why stopping, turning engine off & then restarting would cause the speedo to start working again.

If it is the cable on its way out is this fairly straight forward to change?

As for the abs light, the dealer had a new something fitted on the nearside front when I bought the car (1996 T5 Est Auto) as the abs light was on.

I don't have the diagnostic tools to read the code giver.

Any help would be appreciated

Tomcat
Saturday 27th May 2006, 18:02
The ABS controller is what your having problems with by the sounds of it, if this is not working/intermitant then you will have no speedo. There is a known fault with these where they develop dry joints on the circuit board, its an easyish fix if you know what you're doing, or you can speak to VT as they offer to repair/replace these.

Russell
Saturday 27th May 2006, 18:30
Cheers for the reply, I will have to get in touch with VT and see what they suggest.

Vikingxl
Saturday 27th May 2006, 18:38
I agree 100% with Tomcat had the same problem myself Vt are the men and women for the job!

Wobbly Dave
Monday 29th May 2006, 03:32
Here are some more details about the service...

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/t224-abs-ecu-repair-service.html