PDA

View Full Version : Steamy Windows !!!!!!

TONBRAY
Friday 26th May 2006, 11:37
HELP!

Through the recent spell of rubbish weather I've bee having major issues with the front passangers side window fogging up. As always this was put in the "i'll have a look when I get time box". However last night on the way to the cinema with a car full of peeps the cab started to fill with a foggy vapour!! I'm fairly sure it was A/C gas and we had to stop and bail out while the fog cleared. Once the fans are switched off we were ok.

This morning I have found that when running with the A/C on all is ok and getting cold, but when the climate control is switched to hot i get the same vapour pooring out of the vents for 1-2 min then it all clears up!!?!!

Any Ideas!

I know the A/C was regassed before I brought the car but the paperwork shaows they didn't replace the dryer. Could this be a possible cause! Or am I looking towards a heater matrix issue!

Cheers
Matt

P.S. A mate tried racing me up a twisty hilly road in his Leon coupre R the other nite, I think his exact words were " I've just been done by a flying brick !!!" Chalk one up to the ovlov :biggrin:

CAMO
Friday 26th May 2006, 11:41
Check you water level mate in the expansion tank? Is there enough in it????

TONBRAY
Friday 26th May 2006, 11:49
[QUOTE=CAMO]Check you water level mate in the expansion tank? Is there enough in it????[/QUOTE

Water levels are Ok at the mo but I did have to top it up a week ago, what are you thinking?

chriskay
Friday 26th May 2006, 13:30
Sounds as if it could be the heater matrix. Any damp in passenger footwell?

TONBRAY
Friday 26th May 2006, 13:43
Not that I can see/feel!

I guess this may hurt the wallet a little!

t5owner
Friday 26th May 2006, 14:10
If its a fairly recent thing the matrix might just have started to fail you may not notice a damp patch in the footwell as the coolant sometimes runs under the soundproofing and soaks into that first

Also when mine went on my S70 it had been leeking for a long time well before i bought it and yet coolant level always seemed stable so don`t just rely on the expansion tank lift up the footwell carpets and look/feel the soundproofing if its clamy and possibly a greenish colour and smells musty then its deffo the matrix

Cheers

stuart

Rufe
Friday 26th May 2006, 14:40
you could try changing the pollen filter, this may help the problem.

TONBRAY
Friday 26th May 2006, 14:49
If its a fairly recent thing the matrix might just have started to fail you may not notice a damp patch in the footwell as the coolant sometimes runs under the soundproofing and soaks into that first

Also when mine went on my S70 it had been leeking for a long time well before i bought it and yet coolant level always seemed stable so don`t just rely on the expansion tank lift up the footwell carpets and look/feel the soundproofing if its clamy and possibly a greenish colour and smells musty then its deffo the matrix

Cheers

stuart

Thanks Stuart,

There has been a few strange wiffs in the car just of late so I'll have the careets up and see whats going on.

Ta
Matt

t5owner
Friday 26th May 2006, 15:30
No worries mate

I`m here to help just like most others on here

Forgot to mention if you remove the plastic panel at the side of lower console under the dash passenger side is easiest you should see the matrix housing and be able to tell if its leaking as it will have water droplets on it or running off the housing itself

Cheers

stuart

Adge
Friday 26th May 2006, 15:30
Had similar prob with my C70. rad weld sorted it. So far so good!

t5owner
Friday 26th May 2006, 15:33
Not that I can see/feel!

I guess this may hurt the wallet a little!

No you can get a matrix for around £100 and you could save on labour if you fit it yourself

Its not a hard job just need to take your time

There are write ups for both 854/855 and the S/V/C 70 Phase one series on how to remove and replace the matrix on the forum

Cheers

TONBRAY
Monday 29th May 2006, 16:23
New matrix ordered but due to exams a small local independant Volvo garage is fitting it for me.

He reckons he's done 17 years in a main stealer so all should be well.

Laters

Tomcat
Monday 29th May 2006, 16:41
When my heater matrix went I had steam coming out of the vents, try putting the heater on hot and see if anything comes out the vents when you switch it on.

blackbooty
Monday 29th May 2006, 18:46
Had similar prob with my C70. rad weld sorted it. So far so good!

not good gear for a performance engine mate, i wouldnt put anymore in if the prob arises again.