PDA

View Full Version : The air-con is back!

CAMO
Thursday 25th May 2006, 19:51
Had the old girl looked at by an Air-con engineer yesterday.
The climate control was not operating correctly, when you select the Air Conditioning to come on.
You know this when either of two things happen!
1- it does not get cold (obvious I hear you chat!)
2- the compressor that drives the air-con pump clicks on and off in short blasts, this is due to a lack of refrigerant in the system, and shorts cycles on the low pressure switch.
The engineer pointed out that this a very common problem with vehicle air cond systems. It is caused by the lack of use in the winter months, as the seal in the compressor relies on oil to keep it soft and seal properly. When the air con is in use there is a small amount of oil within the system to keep it sealed. This is why you should run the air con all year round to keep the seal (once a week for 10 mins is fine)
Anyway it is nice to have cold air back!, and of course you can use the air con as a demister, as the air cond takes moisture of of the car when it cools, thus demist the windows!!:kiss:

blackbooty
Thursday 25th May 2006, 20:13
no more hot n sweaty CAMO...

lush when you get it back working isnt it mate.

wayne.

Engineer
Thursday 25th May 2006, 20:17
Had the old girl looked at by an Air-con engineer yesterday.
The climate control was not operating correctly, when you select the Air Conditioning to come on.
You know this when either of two things happen!
1- it does not get cold (obvious I hear you chat!)
2- the compressor that drives the air-con pump clicks on and off in short blasts, this is due to a lack of refrigerant in the system, and shorts cycles on the low pressure switch.
The engineer pointed out that this a very common problem with vehicle air cond systems. It is caused by the lack of use in the winter months, as the seal in the compressor relies on oil to keep it soft and seal properly. When the air con is in use there is a small amount of oil within the system to keep it sealed. This is why you should run the air con all year round to keep the seal (once a week for 10 mins is fine)
Anyway it is nice to have cold air back!, and of course you can use the air con as a demister, as the air cond takes moisture of of the car when it cools, thus demist the windows!!:kiss:

Wise words but keep it on hot in the winter or freeze your n--s off lol.

BlackBeast
Thursday 25th May 2006, 20:42
Need to get mine sorted as well, if it looks like its going to be expensive though then all the air con bits are going in the bin.

Tomcat
Thursday 25th May 2006, 22:45
Mine doesn't work either, I haven't had chance to get it checked yet though. Hopefully it just needs topping up.........

Babybadger
Friday 26th May 2006, 11:31
I always have mine on, winter as well, I just up the temperature, that's all. It stops the car getting steamed up in winter when we all get in the car with rain on jackets etc. Don't have it recirculating though unless you are behind a sweaty diesel with dodgy vale stems or turbo, or an old fiesta! Or if its 38 degrees C