PDA

View Full Version : Big thanks to VT

lance
Thursday 25th May 2006, 14:33
Well my stage 2 is now complete and well worth the wait!

Words strugle to describe the transformation.

280.37 wheel HP max torque 429.07 NM @ boost 1.14 all the way! WELL over 300 at the fly wheel.

My old turbo was struggling to make 230 whp so a massive gain and much smoother linear delivery.

80-100 is a blink of the eye blink again and you are doing 120, I had a 3 year old M3 with 4 pipes eatting my dust on the way home.

Tried 3rd out once properly and 2750-6000 rpm was amazzing.

My little tim boost gauge is over reading by 0.25 bar and it now goes right round to where it says turbo at the bottom.

££££££££££ awsome well done and big up to Adam , Hamish , Nat & everyone @ VT, only downside Im now skint so must get on with some work!

Ohh and for those that dont know my car has covered 160K

I Love my car all over again!

aeroresh
Thursday 25th May 2006, 14:43
:B_thumb: Enjoy!

Murphy
Thursday 25th May 2006, 14:52
Sounds fantastic lance. Can't wait to go for a spin in the beast !

P.S Aero - is that your car in you avatar ?

volvotuning
Thursday 25th May 2006, 15:26
Well my stage 2 is now complete and well worth the wait!

Words strugle to describe the transformation.

280.37 wheel HP max torque 429.07 NM @ boost 1.14 all the way! WELL over 300 at the fly wheel.

My old turbo was struggling to make 230 whp so a massive gain and much smoother linear delivery.

80-100 is a blink of the eye blink again and you are doing 120, I had a 3 year old M3 with 4 pipes eatting my dust on the way home.

Tried 3rd out once properly and 2750-6000 rpm was amazzing.

My little tim boost gauge is over reading by 0.25 bar and it now goes right round to where it says turbo at the bottom.

££££££££££ awsome well done and big up to Adam , Hamish , Nat & everyone @ VT, only downside Im now skint so must get on with some work!

Ohh and for those that dont know my car has covered 160K

I Love my car all over again!

Glad you like it Lance. This is with a standard 2.5" Volvo downpipe too!!!

Adam.

aeroresh
Thursday 25th May 2006, 15:33
P.S Aero - is that your car in you avatar ?

:B_blite:Yep, the Jag was losing too much money too quickly so I got shut.

Murphy
Thursday 25th May 2006, 15:34
££££ me - is that a DB7 Vantage Volante ?

elliot
Thursday 25th May 2006, 15:45
Wow 280WHP on a std 2.5 inch DP is almost unbelievable ;).There must be somthing very very wrong with mine,it only dynos 260WHP with K24 turbo 3inch all the way back from turbo a better exhaust manifold and 1.2 bar with an AFR of 11.9-12.2 and nice timing map with no det.
All these 19t cars are going to be traping up at 106-108mph i cannot wait for the next 1/4mile day mine with only 245WHp trapped at 102mph!

lance
Thursday 25th May 2006, 15:46
Very nice , I love Aston Martins my second favorite car after the new Bugetti Veyron

volvotuning
Thursday 25th May 2006, 16:00
Wow 280WHP on a std 2.5 inch DP is almost unbelievable ;).There must be somthing very very wrong with mine,it only dynos 260WHP with K24 turbo 3inch all the way back from turbo a better exhaust manifold and 1.2 bar with an AFR of 11.9-12.2 and nice timing map with no det.
All these 19t cars are going to be traping up at 106-108mph i cannot wait for the next 1/4mile day mine with only 245WHp trapped at 102mph!

Doubt there is anything wrong with your car! At least you can drive up the 1/4 which is something many people struggle with no matter how many times they try, me included :)

Adam.

elliot
Thursday 25th May 2006, 16:10
280WHP is mega!The dyno i use dynoed a audi S4 with twin ko4 turbos full miltek and custom map,intercooler etc etc,and that made 278WHP and around 380bhp at the fly,and he traps up at 110mph.I am using the trap speed as a comparison because it stays pretty consistant even when the starts vary,its just an indication of power and pretty accurate.
Is the 429nm at the wheels?

BlackBeast
Thursday 25th May 2006, 16:23
Whats that, 26-27% transmisson loss with that S4?

volvotuning
Thursday 25th May 2006, 16:32
280WHP is mega!The dyno i use dynoed a audi S4 with twin ko4 turbos full miltek and custom map,intercooler etc etc,and that made 278WHP and around 380bhp at the fly,and he traps up at 110mph.I am using the trap speed as a comparison because it stays pretty consistant even when the starts vary,its just an indication of power and pretty accurate.
Is the 429nm at the wheels?

Yes 429Nm @ wheels, which is ok. More was easily possible, but no need to stress things too far. Indeed trap speed is a good indicator of power, but it is still only an indication, especially if you are comparing different cars where many differences in the cars would affect the trap speed.

Adam.

elliot
Thursday 25th May 2006, 16:41
Yes 429Nm @ wheels, which is ok. More was easily possible, but no need to stress things too far. Indeed trap speed is a good indicator of power, but it is still only an indication, especially if you are comparing different cars where many differences in the cars would affect the trap speed.

Adam.

Wow 316lbft at the wheels,mine does 325lbft at the fly,with 280lbft left at 5400rpm!Cannot rember what it does at the wheels torque wise minus 15percent ish i guess
S4's RS4 etc do have massive drive loss,does'nt stop the K04 (std turbo from the RS4) conversion cars being very fast!

volvotuning
Thursday 25th May 2006, 16:45
Wow 316lbft at the wheels,mine on does 325lbft at the fly,with 280lbft left at 5400rpm!

sounds ok to me.

Adam.

Engineer
Thursday 25th May 2006, 17:29
Nice one Lance, best you do some work now to pay for the petrol for when your on song lol. £1 odd a litre its day light robbery mate.

Vikingxl
Thursday 25th May 2006, 18:08
Nice one Lance bet your pleased with it!

blackbooty
Thursday 25th May 2006, 18:23
sounds awsome mate.

Nathlm
Thursday 25th May 2006, 19:29
Tut Tut, Lance, you promised me to take it easy on the way home!!!! http://www.cosgan.de/images/midi/boese/r020.gif.

Glad you like it, and don't forget about the little red button we press behind the rolling road to give you extra power readings!!! http://www.cosgan.de/images/midi/frech/k020.gif

Enjoy

Nat xx

GuyD5
Thursday 25th May 2006, 19:36
don't forget about the little red button we press behind the rolling road to give you extra power readings!!!
LoL Nat ;)

siamblue
Thursday 25th May 2006, 19:51
Glad to see you are happy Lance, nice one on the power, i wish i still had a manual ;)

Gary,

volvotuning
Thursday 25th May 2006, 19:55
Glad to see you are happy Lance, nice one on the power, i wish i still had a manual ;)

Gary,

Gary, manuals are easier to tune, but autos are easier to drive! If I had to put money on a drag race between manual v auto, I would back the auto every time!

Adam.

Engineer
Thursday 25th May 2006, 20:06
autos are easier to drive!
Adam.

B-----ks :wink:

elliot
Thursday 25th May 2006, 20:40
Tut Tut, Lance, you promised me to take it easy on the way home!!!! http://www.cosgan.de/images/midi/boese/r020.gif.

Glad you like it, and don't forget about the little red button we press behind the rolling road to give you extra power readings!!! http://www.cosgan.de/images/midi/frech/k020.gif

Enjoy

Nat xx

Which dynojet model do you have is it the 224x?

volvotuning
Thursday 25th May 2006, 20:47
224X LC, with eddy current retarder. LC stands for Load Control, something which most U.S. Dynojets don't have. All the info is on our web site.

Adam.

elliot
Thursday 25th May 2006, 21:04
Thats why i asked :) most don't use the LC,and because when used in inertia mode read high,dont measure the torque and work HP out from the acceleration of the drum one turn they then calculate torque using the horsepower number.I am sure your were already aware of this though as thats why you brought the LC without it mapping on the dyno would'nt work.
I will have a look at your site cheers.

heyes
Thursday 25th May 2006, 21:13
Congrats lance as I to have just had a stage2 and know exactly what you mean about power delivery. I was wondering what handing options you have done as I'm needing to get the car better able to handle the power. I have done springs and dampers, strut brace, bushes etc. Is there a stage 2 club out there.

volvotuning
Thursday 25th May 2006, 21:19
Thats why i asked :) most don't use the LC,and because when used in inertia mode read high,dont measure the torque and work HP out from the acceleration of the drum one turn they then calculate torque using the horsepower number.I am sure your were already aware of this though as thats why you brought the LC without it mapping on the dyno would'nt work.

In a nutshell, yes!

However, just to give you some more detailed explanations...

When using inertia, the hp measurement is very accurate. Using the basic laws of physics (which cannot be changed ;)), Force = Mass x Acceleration. You can apply this to a rotating mass and measure the hp providing you can accurately measure the acceleration. The acceleration measurement is very precise because it doesn't need a full turn of the rollers. It just needs lots of teeth to measure as many pulses as possible during each revolution, kind of like how ABS sensors work. Using inertia to measure power is nothing new - GTech meters use the same principle, and if it knows the weight of the car it can work out the power.

The other thing to remember is that power and torque are mathematical functions of each other. If you know the hp and rpm, you can calculate the torque. If you know the torque and rpm, you can calculate the hp. When the dynojet is in inertia, it measures hp. If you take an rpm reading, you can calculate the torque. Similarly, when using load control, it measures the torque like other dynos. By taking the rpm reading, you can calculate the hp. So, as long as you take an rpm reading from the engine, any dyno only needs to measure either power or torque. You don't need to measure both, as one can be calculated from the other.

But you are totally correct - we bought the LC version because without it it's very difficult to map, especially turbo cars. In fact, there's many things that load control allows you to do that would otherwise be impossible on the dynojet.

Adam.

lance
Friday 26th May 2006, 10:37
Congrats lance as I to have just had a stage2 and know exactly what you mean about power delivery. I was wondering what handing options you have done as I'm needing to get the car better able to handle the power. I have done springs and dampers, strut brace, bushes etc. Is there a stage 2 club out there.

You,ve done more than me all Ive done is added some 17" titans and a strut brace, Im still getting used to the awsome power deliverey. Last night I took her for a spin the road was bone dry and booted her in second gear she spinned the wheels up dead easy , then 3rd 4th and 5th are just bonkers.

I think the art of keeping her on the road in the wet and still make fast progress will be to feather the throttle coming out of bends rather than just flooring it, feeding the power progresivly.
I used to be able to drive my car very hard on bendy roads, but with all this power I can see a bit more respect needed when powering out of bends particularly in the wet, but all this makes for much more fun on the straights.

Murphy
Friday 26th May 2006, 10:43
You need the 'Multi-map' Lance ;)

Wobbly Dave
Friday 26th May 2006, 10:50
I know what you mean about the transformation lance. In terms of putting the power down - you may wish to start saving to revamp the suspension. Cheap options like replacing the anti-roll bar drop links (About 18quid each) is easy to do and improves road holding. Ultimately replacing the front dampers will make everything better - and most importantly - using good tyres.

lance
Friday 26th May 2006, 11:33
I will need to invest in new tyres soon , MOT is due in jan and to be fair apart from run of the mill servicing I doubt I will have much spare cash to chuck at her till then.

Nat I did drive sensibly on the way back, it wasnt till I was nearley home that I tested her a bit.
Leaving the BMer behind was just a quick stamp on the throttle, I wont be doing any top end runs till Ive changed all 4 tyres!

I also would like to say thanks to the Big man himself J for convincing me the 19T hybrid was the route to go, I now fully agree with you, and after all this extra power and performance , in normal driving my car seems much much more refined.

Anyone thinking of this type of upgrade shouldnt need to think about it, save or stick it on a credit card my 160k t5 is like a new car to me all over again.
A few months ago I was getting fed up of the 16t poor top end power delivery and was concidering selling I honestly thought a 19t would be crap bottom end ie below 3500 rpm , but by god it isnt!

Volvo should have built T5 s like this , ££££££££££ to the namby pampy 200 bhp is the limit for a front wheel drive car brigade!:rice:

t5owner
Friday 26th May 2006, 14:02
Nice one lance

Can`t wait to see your transformed baby

Catch you on the 4th unless your up for a quick pint again this sunday

Cheers

stuart

lance
Friday 26th May 2006, 14:55
Never mind seeing , you need to go for a wee run on a straight quiet dry road to fully expierence the power delivery in, it just doesnt stop or fade, Its wonderfully bonkers from what how its been peforminng the last 6 months or more!
Its producing more boost than either my previous 16Ts and it delivers it from 2700-6300 rpm not just peaking at 3k & dropping off at 5000 rpm!

Unfortunatly sunday Im busy, but I will be around an about other days!

t5owner
Friday 26th May 2006, 15:17
Never mind seeing , you need to go for a wee run on a straight quiet dry road to fully expierence the power delivery in, it just doesnt stop or fade, Its wonderfully bonkers from what how its been peforminng the last 6 months or more!
Its producing more boost than either my previous 16Ts and it delivers it from 2700-6300 rpm not just peaking at 3k & dropping off at 5000 rpm!

Unfortunatly sunday Im busy, but I will be around an about other days!

No probs lance

I should be available saturday afternoon as were on strike at work

Give us a ring if your free

Cheers

stuart

Serdar-S60T5
Friday 26th May 2006, 16:09
Whats that, 26-27% transmisson loss with that S4?

hi, yes i agree, isn't that a very big drivetrain loss even for an AWD car ? i always thought the germans were somewhat more efficient putting power to the wheels ?

Serdar-S60T5
Friday 26th May 2006, 16:25
btw, congratulations on your stage II ... amazing results :) enjoy & be safe

so now you're making as much power at the wheels as i'm making at the crank. i must admit: envy is a bitch.. :)

cheers & nice w/e

elliot
Friday 26th May 2006, 19:29
hi, yes i agree, isn't that a very big drivetrain loss even for an AWD car ? i always thought the germans were somewhat more efficient putting power to the wheels ?

I think that is about right for the S4,this dyno only measures WHP then guess the fly on variuos factors thats all that fly figures ever are a guess, unless the engine is put onto an engine dyno.I do like the comment about the germans being efficient though LOL very funny.

Vikingxl
Saturday 27th May 2006, 12:07
Bit of a hijack here but just want to add my thanks to everyone at Vt for yet another fantastic job on my car.Its amazing what a few tweeks can do and i will be back as soon as i break anything else lol.What more can i say fantastic service,friendly smiley faces and a great atmosphere see you all soon!

Tricko
Sunday 28th May 2006, 23:42
Glad you like it Lance. This is with a standard 2.5" Volvo downpipe too!!!

Adam.
Booked in for Stage 2 in a few weeks & can barely wait, now!
Adam, just wondered what exhaust / grade of stainless is used as part of the upgrade?

Regards -- Patrick

Tomcat
Sunday 28th May 2006, 23:47
Can somebody tell me what price the Stage 2 upgrade is and whats fitted, after reading these posts I'm getting tempted.

Nathlm
Monday 29th May 2006, 00:00
Tomcat, give Hamish or Adam a call on Tuesday as there are various options to choose from.

Nat xx

volvotuning
Monday 29th May 2006, 02:11
Tomcat, give Hamish or Adam a call on Tuesday as there are various options to choose from.

Nat xx

Better still, just give Hamish a call :)

Adam.

Nathlm
Monday 29th May 2006, 08:04
Oh yeh sorry I forgot you were on holiday!!!

lance
Wednesday 14th June 2006, 12:08
Ive now done a 1000 miles in the car, Im still just as happy apart from my Aircon stopped blowing cold last week!( hopefully just a regas)
MPG has seen a good improvement currently averaged 26mpg over the last 250 miles which has been a mixture of steady town work, gentle crusing , beating up a new scupa poo WRX and blasting upto 140!
She is producing more boost @ 2700 rpm than my old 16 T and holding it to the redline and behond. I am finding im using my brakes more on the motorway because she picks up so much better and has you at silly speed very quickly.
Im trying my best to drive her economically as my bank balance is still suffering a bit, but because you can get up to speed quicker means you can ease of the power quicker and we all know how well a big car can roll for quite sometime without having to keep on the power!
Anyway Big thanks again to Justin for talking me into it, and to Vt for doing such a good job!
Anyone getting a bit used to the power and board of there T5 , I can whole heartedly say go 19T and custom map, you wont be disapointed!