PDA

View Full Version : Red Stuff Pads

TangoDeltaSierra3
Thursday 24th March 2005, 14:22
Hi, just took delivery of EBC Red Stuff Pads today, £82 inc delivery, does anyone have any experience of them yet ? Theres nothing wrong with my braking other than old pads were worn so it will be interesting to see if i notice a difference. Dave S70R if u looking do u know what pads you had in it before i bought it from you ? :band: Ta ra la boomdee ay!

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 24th March 2005, 15:12
Craig, I am not here to rain on your parade. This is my collected experience on EBC. They do not suite our cars.

According to VT - EBC chew Rotors faster than a rotweiler pup on a new sittee. Pedro said he had problems with'em (correct me if I am wrong). Red Stuff are for lighter cars than the T5. Green Stuff are more in the weight band - but the problems remain. My advice - stick'em back into the box and return them. For a tenner extra 's you can have the Ferodo DS pads which work.

I have even found a way to stop em squeaking for less than a fiver, in the form of self-adhesive silicon shims than stick to the back of the pads.

Ross9
Thursday 24th March 2005, 16:06
Red stuff are for lighter cars? I think you have them the wrong way round.

Green stuff are for lighter less powerful cars, then Red stuff for heavier and/or mor epowerful ones, you also get yellowstuff, and black stuff which are more resiliant still, but not always suited to road cars. Black sutff is definately track only, Yellowstuff I'm told can be a bit vague on a cold morning for the first couple of presses till they heat up, but excellent afterwards.

I'll be fitting Yellowstuffs shortly with my bigger brakes, worryingly enough the last thing I'll do to finish the car, I'm sure they should have been the first lol.

Ross

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 24th March 2005, 16:09
Sorry I think you are right. I got a bit colour blind :wallbash:

Fact remains I do not think that they suite the Volvo. I put on the better brakes before I had RICA BTW.

Ross9
Thursday 24th March 2005, 16:18
Yes brakes before power is generally the sensible thing to do, I've spent many many ££ on a rebuild, forged pistons etc etc, its all listed in my vb garage, and yet the car is at the moment running on 265mm grovved discs, and a set of pads that cost £12 :nono: but I do intend to make them better in teh very near future lol.

What sort of discs did you use with the pads? Jacq has used green stuff and EBC grooved discs on the T4 and they were fine, though the Ferrodo Premier pads were better IIRC. I know the Yellow stuffs I am getting with the bigger brake conversion are use with solid discs, you dont use grooved ones with them for some reason, I'm not sure what it is though. Perhaps its to prevent damage? But as I say greenstuffs were fine on Jacqs, though probably red stuffs would have been better given the power and weight of the car.

Ross

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 24th March 2005, 16:27
I replaced the front disks with 280mm brembo plain disks. They work really well, plus with the new suspenders she really stops, without the need to park up on her nose.

TangoDeltaSierra3
Thursday 24th March 2005, 18:16
Too late Dave, i'm off this week and they getting done tomorrow morning as i need a drive shaft too, i was quoted £60 for Mintex, £111 for Ds2500, i was gonna try Pagid Fast Rd psads at £43 but couldn't get em in time. I dont do enough miles or enough ram raiding to justify Ds2500s i'm afraid, as you know i'm sensible and reserved. :littleang :littleang

siamblue
Thursday 24th March 2005, 18:48
I know Pedro had problems on his set up with EBC,But weren't the 280mm discs prone to warping?
I have the 302mm/298mm Turbo grooved discs and Red pads and i find them ok,They do fade after 3 miles rading around Milton Keynes roundabouts i found much to my horror.

Pedro Fandango
Thursday 24th March 2005, 19:04
I know Pedro had problems on his set up with EBC,But weren't the 280mm discs prone to warping?
the OE spec EBC's discs & pads were knackered within 3 monthes (warped discs & cracked pads) & replaced with turbogroove discs (vented, slotted & dimpled) & greenstuff pads under warranty, can't say i've looked how to see what condition the pads are in but the turbogroove discs have got hairline cracks all over them :slap:

siamblue
Thursday 24th March 2005, 22:14
Pedro that's dangerous mate,As those hairlines might give one day when you need your brakes, :worried: