PDA

View Full Version : Auto window up...

r07s
Wednesday 24th May 2006, 20:33
Mid nineties - Volvo desiners thinking about electric windows:
"hey, lets make the front driver's window go down automatically" Great idea Sven - but what about auto up guys! :cuckoo:

Has anybody managed to get the sucker to go up on auto as well?

C'mon, there must be some relay we can replace/adjust eh?

T5ER
Wednesday 24th May 2006, 20:35
"hey, lets make the front driver's window go down automatically" Great idea Sven - but what about auto up guys! :cuckoo:

mine says auto down which it did but does not any more ????

Mrsmopp
Wednesday 24th May 2006, 20:35

If you sus it then I will be following suit, definately the most annoying thing on the volvo

x

Vikingxl
Wednesday 24th May 2006, 20:37
yeah i would be interested its a real pain in the ass!

r07s
Wednesday 24th May 2006, 20:40
what about get the relay that makes it go down and turn it upside down!! Surely that'll make it auto up?

I'll get me coat...

T5ER
Wednesday 24th May 2006, 20:40
the later volvos have auto up and down ???? my grandads astra estate has auto up and down but its something to do with the contacts in the switch which hold the circuit open for them to do it

Mrsmopp
Wednesday 24th May 2006, 20:41
what about get the relay that makes it go down and turn it upside down!! Surely that'll make it auto up?

I'll get me coat...

LMSO :rotfl:

x

r07s
Wednesday 24th May 2006, 20:41
Sorry dude but novauxhal components are finding their way into my car!

nuff said! lol

blackbooty
Wednesday 24th May 2006, 21:35
wouldnt you have to be careful about leaving kids alone in the car ?

i think the auto up ones have systems in place to prevent a very unlikely (but theoretially possible) accident where a child operates the switch and gets caught as the window closes.

maybe irrelavent, but a consideration anyhow.

Mrsmopp
Wednesday 24th May 2006, 21:37
I dont have kids so I dont need to worry (unless you count Steve? LOL)

x

T5ER
Wednesday 24th May 2006, 22:14
they have a sftey cutout,and i was not implying fitting vauxhall bits but maybe if some one has a spare switch gently take it apart and have a look

pzorb
Wednesday 24th May 2006, 22:29
i think the auto up ones have systems in place to prevent a very unlikely (but theoretially possible) accident
That's the very reason. If you look at how volvo systems used to be built (don't know about the newer ones myself) if any risk was involved towards the owner, it wasn't considered as part of the system's behaviour.
Lots of these subtle little things hiding in the car, defo very comforting to know the car's actively looking out for you. (eg the central locking on the 850 will always allow you to lock the car, regardless of one of the motors failing, on the basis that if something's wrong with your car you'd rather lock it than open it).

Plus it minimised the chances of them getting sued.

blackbooty
Wednesday 24th May 2006, 22:42
ahh ok.... ill put my mates fingers in there to see if mines working.

so are all 850's equipped with the safety cut out then wayne ?

if so, i can understand the annoyance of no auto up.

Rufe
Wednesday 24th May 2006, 22:51
it wont hurt you anyway, if it feels something stopping it closing, it will simply stop. try it with your hand there, honestly, ive done it to prove this, though i was a bit worried at first lol

no auto window up is annoying for me too, having my last 3 cars being vauxhalls which all had this feature. with the vectra, you could shut off ignition, and windows would still work until a door was opened, and then closed, allowing you to open the door and leave the window close itself as you get out. also, with the vectra you could do the window up with the key in the door lock, turned to deadlock, and held there, the windows would close. with a simple modification to a ford sunroof relay (i say simple, i dont know how its done actually, though i fitted one i was given) you could do the windows up using the standard vauxhall remote keyfob, another nice touch.

blackbooty
Wednesday 24th May 2006, 23:12
good to know Rufe, some nice touches on them there vectra's then mate.

i know some alarms can be wired to take care of open windows, would be a nice feature cos im forever forgetting to close windows before removing the key.

just had a look at window switches and im gonna try remove the rear window on/off switch and put an auto down switch in there and try to wire it upside down onto the existing auto down , im no good with electric but ill try and let ya know what happens.

Rufe
Wednesday 24th May 2006, 23:23
some of these simple little things can make all the difference to be honest, when you use the car daily.

shame there doesnt seem to be a known way around it though, but will be interested to find out if it does work in your experiment blackbooty :)

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 25th May 2006, 08:35
I have a spare window switch - I will have a look and get back to you all.

chriskay
Thursday 25th May 2006, 10:36
i know some alarms can be wired to take care of open windows, would be a nice feature cos im forever forgetting to close windows before removing the key.

Not that it helps us, but the late 480's would shut the windows/sunroof when you locked the car.

Baj
Thursday 25th May 2006, 10:53
Its simple enoughto do.
You just need something that, when the switched live is shut off, uses a perm live to activate window motor. Something that tests resistance will switch the motor off when the window shuts or if already shut. Or a finger is added to the equasion.
Unfortunately I dont have the electrical knowledge to make this but I am sure someone out there does.

Engineer
Thursday 25th May 2006, 17:15
wouldnt you have to be careful about leaving kids alone in the car ?

i think the auto up ones have systems in place to prevent a very unlikely (but theoretially possible) accident where a child operates the switch and gets caught as the window closes.

maybe irrelavent, but a consideration anyhow.

Spot on same as the roof. Get yourself caught on a non-safety auto up window / roof close and it hurts lol. Watch those hand signals lol. :wink:

blackbooty
Thursday 25th May 2006, 17:35
pulled the switches apart from my doner and it doesnt seem poss to seperate to me, lots of metal contacts ect.

i can live without an auto up (be damned handy tho).

r07s
Thursday 25th May 2006, 20:52
pulled the switches apart from my doner and it doesnt seem poss to seperate to me, lots of metal contacts ect.

i can live without an auto up (be damned handy tho).
Nice try dude! But i just cant live without my auto up any longer LOL

If i could sell this solution (which i dont have guys!) - what would you pay eh? Lets say a nice little tenner for example - I bet theres...what 20, 30 of us out there that'd pay right? (wrong?)

SO who's the bright spark looking for some extra beer tokens then? c'mon, the gauntlet is down!!

Possible £200 or more up for grabs...:saythat:

blackbooty
Thursday 25th May 2006, 22:13
id pay a score for a new switch.

Wobbly Dave
Monday 29th May 2006, 03:36
I have looked at the switch and the pcb that runs it and I am very skeptical about being able to change the current relay and other pcb components to achieve this