PDA

View Full Version : Let the problems Begin!!

jajapuppy
Tuesday 23rd May 2006, 20:41
Hi All,

Got a couple of problems beginning - one insignificant and one that I'm not so sure about.

The unimportant one first. My 4 speed fan control only works on setting 4. I have changed the switches and the fuse. What else is there (apart from the fan motor itself !!!!

The second one is when the engine is cold it is hesitating when pulling away - it is fine once it has warmed up. Any ideas?

Cheers

Steve

T5 Ben
Tuesday 23rd May 2006, 21:03
Hello mate,with regards to your fan speed only working on no4 speed.My Espace has exactly the same problem and have been told to replace the fuses/capacitors under the bonnet,not sure where they are on a Tank.
Hope this helps.

Ben.

scott t5
Tuesday 23rd May 2006, 21:30
i take it u mean the heater blower inside the car. its probs the resister pack not sure where they are on volvo weather seperate pack or built on 2 the heater blower motor its self?

blackbooty
Tuesday 23rd May 2006, 21:35
the 850's have 2 fuses mate, no 5 is speed 4, no 31 is speed 1-3.

im having same probs with a struggling idle till it warms up mate, changed all mechanical bits to no avail, im giving it up and gonna get my fault codes read.

regards wayne.

jajapuppy
Tuesday 23rd May 2006, 21:49
I shall have to go hunting for the resistor pack then.

Wayne - No fault codes on mine - and it has had the air mass meter changed (been told this is a common cause apparanmtly!)

Steve

blackbooty
Tuesday 23rd May 2006, 23:37
check fuse 31 first mate !!!
on top of drivers side bulkhead, next to windscreen.

i may be daft here but.... if MAF had a prob, how come it didnt throw a code up ??
if no code thrown up, why change MAF ??
expensive guess mate.

is it an 850 or a V/S ?

T5ER
Tuesday 23rd May 2006, 23:46
MAF should throw up a fault code everytime it goes on a bender some have even been known to put the engine management light on i do believe

Niles
Wednesday 24th May 2006, 14:47
start up probs & ok when warm sounds like mine was. The famous MAF sensor was to blame. Appx £100 new on e-bay, £35ish second hand. (be careful of second hand 1's as theres no way of 'seeing' if they work). Good luck!

blackbooty
Wednesday 24th May 2006, 16:08
any luck with the fuse jaja ?

jajapuppy
Wednesday 24th May 2006, 17:58
Hi,

just got in form work!!

Checked both fuses (actually checked them all - might as well as I was there!)

All are OK

Looks like a resistor pack. Having checked around it would appear that the resistor block is an "integral" part of the volvos motor, so I am probably going to have to track one of them down!

Incidently the replacema=ent MAF came with the car so I was in the lucky position of getting one free guess - unfortunatly from here on in it is going to cost money :o(

Cheers

Steve

blackbooty
Wednesday 24th May 2006, 18:34
bonus about the MAF, biatch that its not the fuse, scraped knuckles and dirty fingernails for you then mate.

regarding the idling probs...
as i said, mine does this also, ive changed...
MAF
idle air control valve
evap valve
evap cannister
plugs
leads
vac line from inlet man (under thermostat) to turbo air intake

and its still running rough, ive just run out of ideas now so im gonna bite the bullet and get it to a main dealer for a code read and reset and see if that gives me anything to get into.

wayne

jajapuppy
Wednesday 24th May 2006, 18:50
One thing I remember from my Calibra days with a similar problem (and I havent tried it yet) was they disconnected the battery for 1/2 hour and this forced the ECU to re "learn" the engine sttings in some way - dont know if it would work on a Volvo though!